Join for free
Page 193 of 370 « First < 93 143 183 191 192 193 194 195 203 243 293 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 01:45 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Night time running eh, Suzie? That's determination for you.
Do you have one of those strap-on hat torches to help you see where you're going?

I still remain gym-free at present. The weekend has been busy for me and all I want to do is relax today. I have a rather different routine lined up for tomorrow. More of that when I do my write-up.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 05:58 PM

Good morning! It's a good thing I can post without a camera, or you all would send me packing...

It is peak summer here, with temperatures soaring by noon. That means that for those of us in our heat attack years, there is only a small window for running - either first thing in the morning or at sunset. After getting caught out too late, I've been getting up early, but distractions didn't have my feet in the sand until nine this morning.

With little blue clouds starting their vertical formation along the horizon, I set out, hoping that one of them might grow quickly enough to offer a little shade. No such luck. Even so, the sea breezes were providing a little relief and the wave period coming ashore aligned well enough with my tempo that I got over the heaviness of those first few minutes in no time. Black skimmers were already at work diving for bait fish, while lazy gulls napped in small flocks near the dune line. Through the state beach I traveled, feeling a small sense of of joy when I spied four posts tided together with pink tape, designating that not one, but three sea turtles had found their way ashore and nested. The end of the month through September means there will be many little hatchlings navigating their way to the gulf. With thoughts of them, my mind turned away from the hard work of trudging through what felt more like quicksand than it's drier cousin.

At the turnaround point is a small grouping of condominiums that were teeming with life just a few weeks ago, now stand like ghostly soldiers keeping watch over the gulf. During this quiet time the crabs can rebuild their tunnels, and the wild grasses can once again anchor the sand to the island. It's recovery time for the wildlife and the locals alike.

Finally, drenched and moving forward with nothing but pure will, the welcome sight of my roof appeared a quarter mile away, I put my head down and pushed along looking at the tiny coquina and cockle shells, amazed by all that life. Drawing a last breath and summoning the last of my flagging strength, I looked down at my watch. 5.34 - a strange little distance, but good enough for a late summer day.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 04:22 AM

Alright, y'all. I am still here plugging away, though I had to take an unexpected day off. It seems that running along a shoreline with a 35 degree angle, favoring one foot on the outbound leg, and the opposite on the back leg, left me for the first time in my life, stiff as a board with back pain this morning.

Ridiculous. I have taken ibuprofen to loosen it up since the closet thing I have to a back rub around here are a bunch of lazy four-legged canines. Humpf.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day...but I didn't waaaaant to take a recovery daaaaaay .

Hope you all are getting out there better than I am!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 03:32 PM

Suzie - if you obtain an injury, you must rest it. You know that. I know it's annoying when you want to exercise, but one day of recuperation will do you the world of good.
Hope the back pain has eased today

Eight days since I last ventured into the House of Iron due to the after effects of a weekend over stuffed with indulgence and I paid the price. I felt totally out of condition. But with a rather different type of training for me being put on hold for a week I was itching to give it a try.

Adapting the idea from Ox (a strongman lifter on the bodybuilding site I belong to), I selected six of my usual exercises but stuck rigidly to a light/medium/heavy set structure with reps to suit each exercise. In other words, more sets than usual but with fewer reps and increasing weight. 8 sets per exercise. Enough waffling, you’ll get the idea….

Wednesday 29/8/18: Full body 'strength' session.
(All weights in kgs)

DB bench press:
Light, 2 sets: 10x22’s
Med, 3 sets: 5x28’s
High, 4 sets: 3x36’s

Shoulder press:
Light, 2 sets: 10x40
Med, 3 sets: 5x60
High, 4 sets: 3x80

Leg incline press:
Light, 2 sets: 20x150
Med, 3 sets: 15x200
High, 4 sets: 10x250

Seated ham curls:
Light, 2 sets: 10x40
Med, 3 sets: 5x60
High, 4 sets: 3x70

E-Z preacher curl, low pull, c/g:
Light, 2 sets: 10x28
Med, 3 sets: 5x38
High, 4 sets: 3x48

Tricep extensions:
Light, 2 sets: 15x40
Med, 3 sets: 8x60
High, 4 sets: 5x80

1hr. 20mins.

This was very tough work after not training for over a week but the weights I had set myself I made sure I completed. Some exercises were easy-ish, others heavy. I will insert some of this type of exercise into my regular programme, but not as a full session anymore.

To be honest though, this kind of training is not my cup of tea really; I’m no powerlifter, even with weights relatively meagre compared to most guys in here but at my age I do have my fitness and that’s my prerogative – to be going for strength all the time at my time of life is unrealistic and pointless. But enough strength to maintain my physical appearance and health is certainly welcome.

Thanks for reading.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Alright, y'all. I am still here plugging away, though I had to take an unexpected day off. It seems that running along a shoreline with a 35 degree angle, favoring one foot on the outbound leg, and the opposite on the back leg, left me for the first time in my life, stiff as a board with back pain this morning.

Ridiculous. I have taken ibuprofen to loosen it up since the closet thing I have to a back rub around here are a bunch of lazy four-legged canines. Humpf.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day...but I didn't waaaaant to take a recovery daaaaaay .

Hope you all are getting out there better than I am!
I have to shudder sometimes Surfermom when I hear about your beach running experiences. Running over five miles on soft (I know you run mainly on the wet firm stuff) uneven sand can present you with the occasional problem. My first thought would be; Have you sustained the injury to your back previously without knowing it?......Before any symptoms have come to light? You are more likely to produce an injury from overstretching or gym work....And running along the beach was the final straw?

I'm not trying to teach Grandma to 'Suck Eggs' but it's just a thought......
Since returning from Guernsey I have limped and shuffled round a couple of six milers, it's been a bit of a struggle but I still keep treading the tarmac......
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

29-08-2018, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I have to shudder sometimes Surfermom when I hear about your beach running experiences. Running over five miles on soft (I know you run mainly on the wet firm stuff) uneven sand can present you with the occasional problem. My first thought would be; Have you sustained the injury to your back previously without knowing it?......Before any symptoms have come to light? You are more likely to produce an injury from overstretching or gym work....And running along the beach was the final straw?

I'm not trying to teach Grandma to 'Suck Eggs' but it's just a thought......
Since returning from Guernsey I have limped and shuffled round a couple of six milers, it's been a bit of a struggle but I still keep treading the tarmac......

That is the funniest thing I have read in ages. I laughed so hard that my daughter asked me what was up.

Both you and Floydy offer good suggestions here. I watched a good portion of a movie last night with my back arched over a big rubber exercise ball to stretch out my back (you all must think I am half baked imagining that scene). The one thing I know from reading/listening to people over the years is that while you can push through some injuries, thou shalt not mess with knee or back injuries.

Guess I will paint .
adwlp57
New Member!
MD USA
adwlp57 is female 

30-08-2018, 03:11 AM

Hi there - I try to be of the mindset to do some form of movement daily for 15-30 minutes.
So I do a power walk, if you will, which also includes a short run up an incline to get the heart rate going, and then I do some free weight bicep curls reps, lat pulldowns with bands, squats - try to do 2-4 sets of 15 of each. And a plank or two. Then every other day do a short boxing video.
I do all of this at home because now that I am older a gym membership is no longer comfortable w/mostly young people though I did do Body Pump for awhile.
All of this helps me maintain, and I am a big believer in natural products and eating healthy though I will enjoy more rich meals from time to time a s a treat. And I enjoy red wine!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-08-2018, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by adwlp57 ->
Hi there - I try to be of the mindset to do some form of movement daily for 15-30 minutes.
So I do a power walk, if you will, which also includes a short run up an incline to get the heart rate going, and then I do some free weight bicep curls reps, lat pulldowns with bands, squats - try to do 2-4 sets of 15 of each. And a plank or two. Then every other day do a short boxing video.
I do all of this at home because now that I am older a gym membership is no longer comfortable w/mostly young people though I did do Body Pump for awhile.
All of this helps me maintain, and I am a big believer in natural products and eating healthy though I will enjoy more rich meals from time to time a s a treat. And I enjoy red wine!
Hi Amy
Great to see another newbie in our midst taking part in this exercise thread of ours.
Nice to hear also that you're keeping yourself fit doing a variety of exercises too.
You know, the gym is for all people to enjoy and you mustn't feel intimidated by young people in there. Everybody does their own thing and we all have our programmes, routines and goals to aim for.
Good to hear from you, keep up the good work
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 10:40 AM

Nice to see a new face in the exercise section, and missing those who haven't posted for a while. (you know who you are!) I suppose it's just the ebb and flow of forum life.....

Just a word to the ailing Surfermom; It has been my experience that 'Backs do not like inactivity!'
Interpret that as you will..... And I would have given a months pension to see you spread eagle on that medicine ball.....

After battling against gravity (and succeeding) on the vicious climbs in Guernsey, I seem to have hit a low spot upon my return home. Buttock pain is once again making its presence felt with a couple of 'Lackluster' runs on Sunday and Tuesday. Add to this some shin pain and the need to select a piece of strong rope and sturdy beam.... But before you all write to try and convince me not end it all.......You were, weren't you?... I'm probably being a little over dramatic.....

So this morning I woke to a clear blue sky and temperatures around the 10*C mark.
Not running is 'Not an Option' so I scuttled off along deserted streets and into the woods expecting a disaster of a run......I was pleasantly surprised when the shin pain did not appear, and although the buttock pain called to say hello on the last mile, it was tolerable.........The time was pathetic, and I've agreed to go to the cinema with Mrs Fox to see 'Mama Mia'.......But Hey!!!! The day can only get better...............Can't it?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-08-2018, 03:15 PM

A returning welcome for Bob. Good to see you back mate and I know you had a great holiday and wedding break. Your fitness levels will have taken a slight knock bud, but just make sure you ease yourself back into it, rather than get frustrated and do yourself another injury. It all makes perfect sense matey

An unplanned workout today saw me battling fatigue somewhat, so I managed what I could and cut it short. All adds up though.

Thursday 30/8/18
(All weights in kgs)

Smith shoulder press:
8x40, 8x40, 8x45, 5x50

Smith flat bench press:
12x50, 12x50, 6x70

Chest press:
10x80, 10x80, 10x80
*With these, I adjusted the position of the seat – low, medium, high. This ensured all areas of the chest were worked.

Fly delt dec:
12x95, 12x95, 12x95
*Reallu performing well with this piece of kit, my delts powering up over the past few weeks. As with the chest press, the seat was moved to affect the full deltoid and inner shoulder areas.

Sled leg press:
25x150, 20x180, 20x200
*An interim quads workout to keep me going until Sunday’s full legs session.

40 mins.

A very short but quite effective workout. Tomorrow I plan use my big Friday session to really attack the arms in a full-on intensive workout isolating the biceps and triceps, basically just to see how much strength and size I can still build and keep hold of as a rapidly ageing ex-bodybuilder.
Why? Because it’s what I do in this game, innit lol?

Page 193 of 370 « First < 93 143 183 191 192 193 194 195 203 243 293 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top