Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 01:49 AM

Brexit and the Automotive Industry

For anyone who wants to understand the frustrations UK companies who have trading relations with the EU face as a result of Brexit, watch this Select committee.

The representatives of the industry are vehemently against a hard Brexit and especially what is described as a "chaotic" Brexit where nobody knows what's going on. They very patiently and politely explain why there is little to be positive about. That they have looked for opportunities but are finding it hard to see any.

The committee also brings up "non-tariff" barriers and the "friction-less border". One representative expects Brexit to halve their profits just because of WTO rules and that's before taking into account the knock on effects to GDP.

Interesting that one representative went into detail about why they have little manufacturing in the UK, which is that the industry is region based. So they manufacture to the Chinese market in China.

They want to remain a member of the single market and customs union until a free trade agreement is signed. They don't understand the "cake and eat it" approach. The relevant quote is "they may be better negotiators than we are but we don't understand how it will happen". Re the 2 year transition period, they say "if we don't know what we are doing yet how can we say it's two years?"

They want to maintain regulatory standards in line with the EU as that's what their customers want.

Interesting to understand how forum members think the current brexit strategy will address the automotive industry's concerns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09ggd8n
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 07:30 AM

Re: Brexit and the Automotive Industry

Hi

The vast majority of our car manufacturing is foreign owned.

They will do whatever is in their shareholders interests.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 11:14 AM

The problem is IMO too many are looking at the black side of all this, talking themselves into problems that may not happen. If they just wait and see before panicking it'll all either work out or not. Until the talks are over no one knows what's happening. It's unrealistic to expect to know.

I know it's difficult but really they and everyone else needs to calm down and wait.

Do they think no one else has ever gone through this ? They aren't special.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 11:27 AM

Julie1962, It doesnt matter what you or others say about calming down, there are still those particularly in Government that think that they can de -rail Brexit. I dont know what it is , but they cant seem to get it into their heads that Brexit is going to happen. WHY cant everyone of them get behind it now and make it happen. Once it has been made final and the U K are out, then that is the time to argue about how things can be made to work.
As much as many seem to thing That T May is no good, I think she is doing a remarkable job as P M and even a better one with regard to Brexit. The only mistake she has made was calling a General Election, she hadnt worked out how fickle the British Electorate were .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
Julie1962, It doesnt matter what you or others say about calming down, there are still those particularly in Government that think that they can de -rail Brexit. I dont know what it is , but they cant seem to get it into their heads that Brexit is going to happen. WHY cant everyone of them get behind it now and make it happen. Once it has been made final and the U K are out, then that is the time to argue about how things can be made to work.
As much as many seem to thing That T May is no good, I think she is doing a remarkable job as P M and even a better one with regard to Brexit. The only mistake she has made was calling a General Election, she hadnt worked out how fickle the British Electorate were .
I agree I was amazed the other day at people asking on a radio show why this that of the other hadn't happened as had been promised, they missed the point a major one that we haven't left yet ! People want everything yesterday they need to be patient.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The problem is IMO too many are looking at the black side of all this, talking themselves into problems that may not happen. If they just wait and see before panicking it'll all either work out or not. Until the talks are over no one knows what's happening. It's unrealistic to expect to know.

I know it's difficult but really they and everyone else needs to calm down and wait.

Hi

Julie, industry has to plan ahead.

Many of the foreign car manufacturers are based here because it gives them free access to the EU Market.

They have done their figures and have costed things out.

They will do whatever is best for their shareholders.

If we go WTO Rules, it does not not make sense for them to stay, if we get a trade deal, they have no reason to move.

The decisions will not be made here in the UK, they will be made in France, Germany, Japan, USA and India.

They are in business to make a profit, it all comes down to the bottom line.

As for nobody else having done this, nobody else has ever done it, it is a first.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

07-01-2018, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
Hi

I disagree Norway, she has made a very big mistake in triggering Article 50 before we were ready to Leave.

Hence her having to ask for a Transition Period , for which we have stung for £ Billions.

Her Bluff of No Deal is better than a bad deal has been called and we have had to cough up.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I disagree Norway, she has made a very big mistake in triggering Article 50 before we were ready to Leave.

Hence her having to ask for a Transition Period , for which we have stung for £ Billions.

Her Bluff of No Deal is better than a bad deal has been called and we have had to cough up.
The only people that I can see that were not ready to leave were those that did not want to
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

If you watch the select committee, the guys who run the industry look at the Tory MP who suggests there must be a positive side and aren't they being a big negative with patient bemusement. Because he clearly doesn't understand why they are there.

These are guys who run businesses, they are not interested in the politics, but are interested in their bottom line. As one says "cashflow is king". They are saying they cannot wait. They need to scenario plan to keep the businesses afloat.

They are not there to judge the referendum result but to give the select committee information about their industry concerns and it's important to separate the views of such people from the general population.

They know their business and what it needs to be successful. They are experts in their fields. They know their stuff and the government needs to listen to them.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 01:11 PM

They will be making plans to close their plants and they won't be the only ones.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top