Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 06:30 PM

Apple iceberg

Hi all, Don’t know why but threw caution to the wind and put a bag of Semolina into my shopping trolley last week as heard it was a great ingredient for soups.

Then I started looking up recipes using Semolina and came across some lovely ones from a website showing WWII favourite pudding recipes. Unfortunately, try as I could, I could not find a picture to accompany this recipe, apologies for that, but take my word for it, it looks lovely when completed.. HWMO gave it the thumbs up anyway as he helped himself to over half the dish in one go with a bloomin spatula rather than use the serving spoon. Honestly, men! No decorum.

Here is the one I've just tried if you fancy having a go…….it was really easy peasy.

APPLE ICEBERG.

YOU WILL NEED:

1 glass bowl
1.½ tablespoons of Semolina
½ lb Apples
4oz Sugar
1 teacup of Water
1 pint cold Custard

METHOD
Peel, core and slice the apples, and cook them with the sugar in the water until tender.

Let them cool then rub them through a sieve. Put back in the pan and sprinkle on the
Semolina while stirring. Then bring to the boil, stirring for a further three minutes.

Turn into a large bowl and beat for a minute or two (with a whisk or wooden spoon) and allow to cool.

When almost cool, beat again until it turns White.

Empty the custard into the glass bowl and arrange the Apple mixture into rocky heaps on top.

Place into the fridge as this dessert is best served as cold as possible.

Enjoy!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 06:50 PM

Re: Apple iceberg

Sounds wonderful - definitely on my 'to try' list. I usually find your recipes are delicious!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2018, 11:27 AM

Aww, thank you for your kind words ST. Best Wishes xx
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hi all, Don’t know why but threw caution to the wind and put a bag of Semolina into my shopping trolley last week as heard it was a great ingredient for soups.

Then I started looking up recipes using Semolina and came across some lovely ones from a website showing WWII favourite pudding recipes. Unfortunately, try as I could, I could not find a picture to accompany this recipe, apologies for that, but take my word for it, it looks lovely when completed.. HWMO gave it the thumbs up anyway as he helped himself to over half the dish in one go with a bloomin spatula rather than use the serving spoon. Honestly, men! No decorum.

Here is the one I've just tried if you fancy having a go…….it was really easy peasy.

APPLE ICEBERG.

YOU WILL NEED:

1 glass bowl
1.½ tablespoons of Semolina
½ lb Apples
4oz Sugar
1 teacup of Water
1 pint cold Custard

METHOD
Peel, core and slice the apples, and cook them with the sugar in the water until tender.

Let them cool then rub them through a sieve. Put back in the pan and sprinkle on the
Semolina while stirring. Then bring to the boil, stirring for a further three minutes.

Turn into a large bowl and beat for a minute or two (with a whisk or wooden spoon) and allow to cool.

When almost cool, beat again until it turns White.

Empty the custard into the glass bowl and arrange the Apple mixture into rocky heaps on top.

Place into the fridge as this dessert is best served as cold as possible.

Enjoy!

Re; Sugar darlin' are we talking ordinary white granulated sugar or caster sugar, muscavado light or dark or demarara sugar - please???

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top