Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 09:56 PM

Removing shoes

I was just reading a magazine and someone was asking whatever happened to people removing their shoes on entering someones house as a guest.

I know years ago it used to be the done thing.

I personally don't ask anyone to remove their shoes, i have laminate flooring, not carpet. I might do if I had a cream carpet though.

My best friend likes people to take off their shoes on entering her house which I always obviously do and I don't think anything about it, I do hope my feet don't smell

Seriously though, do you ask people to take off their shoes.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 10:07 PM

Re: Removing shoes

I don't ask anyone to.

I'm selling my house right now and I'd say 70 to 80% of viewers have asked if they should remove their shoes.
And a Mr Khan and his son didn't even ask, they just took them off and left them in the porch.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 10:18 PM

I have never asked anyone to remove their shoes.
You can't be posh here, not with 5 dogs in the house!

My friend with 3 horses sometimes calles in on her way home from seeing to them, and kicks her wellies off without me having to ask. I'm relieved about that as they are usually caked in straw and poo!

Ordinary, clean shoes, I wouldn't dream of asking someone to remove them.

Morti, is your Mr. Khan an Indian gentleman? I ask because at the Indian yoga classes I attend, everybody leaves their shoes outside in the foyer and we exercise barefoot.
Also, no one wears shoes in their Temple, they even have proper shelves and racks outside for everyone to leave their shoes on before you enter.

Imagine doing that in a Church of England.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 10:19 PM

I don’t think it’s an outdated courtesy. I always take off my shoes at other people’s house. With our house I let people have the option of leaving them on or taking them off.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 10:22 PM

If somebody asked me to take off my shoes going into their house I would politely make my excuses and walk away.
Now if it was a Temple in the holy city of Mecca or an audience with the pope, then I would oblige.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Morti, is your Mr. Khan an Indian gentleman? I ask because at the Indian yoga classes I attend, everybody leaves their shoes outside in the foyer and we exercise barefoot.
Also, no one wears shoes in their Temple, they even have proper shelves and racks outside for everyone to leave their shoes on before you enter.

Imagine doing that in a Church of England.
Yes he was Mups ... and ever so incredibly polite.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 11:57 PM

I feel more comfortable taking my shoes off in someone else's house. You can always carry a pair of slippers in your bag, or go barefoot. It's surprising what you pick up without knowing it, dog poo, chewing gum, grass, leaves & other debris. Not a big deal for me, as long as no one pinches my shoes!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 12:49 AM

I always take my shoes off before going into a house and expect others to too or at the very least offer .
Have I got lived so long in the Far East where it is unthinkable to enter a house with your shoes on its second nature to me .
I am amazed at here in the uk where floors are carpeted people get huffy about being asked to remove their shoes .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I don’t think it’s an outdated courtesy. I always take off my shoes at other people’s house. With our house I let people have the option of leaving them on or taking them off.
Same here
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 05:19 AM

I have wooden floors so I don't expect people to remove their shoes....if I had carpets I might feel differently.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top