Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 10:57 PM

Re: Home made wine

Oh Omah I am in love
Cherry wine
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 11:33 AM

Blackberry Wine

Excellent Wine. Full bodied with strong flavour. Delighful colour. Ready to drink 12 months after wine has been tranferred to a storage vessel to clear and mature.

Alcohol centent about 13% per volume (23% proof).

Raisins give extra flavour, body and smoothness to this wine and nourish the wine yeast, encouraging maximum efficacy in alcohol production.

(ex Ian Ball - Wine Making the Natural Way).

INGREDIENTS:

2 Kilos Blackberries (5 lbs)
12 oz Raisins
Granulated sugar 2 lbs
Tea - strong 1/2 cup
Lemons 2.
Marmite 1/4 tsp
App purpose dried wine yeast
Water 1 Gallon

[B]METHOD[B]

Discard blackberry stalks, wash blackberries in cold water. Place in fermentation bucket and mash. Rinse Raisins in warm water and add to blackberries after chopping or mincing them. Warm 1 Pt water in saucepan, stir in granulated sugar, yeast and Marmite. When dissolved, cover and allow to cool, then add to fermentation bucket. Make tea, strain and allow to cool. Discard tea bag. Extract juice from Lemons. Discard pip, pith and peel. Add to fermentation bucket. Top up bucket with cold water to 7 pints. Cover. Leave in a warm place (NB an airing cupboard is too warm) for 10 days, stirring twice daily.

After 10 days Rack off (you'll need a filter machine for this) from the sediment at the bottom of the bucket into a Demijohn. Topp up to the neck with cold water and allow to ferment for the next 4 - 5 weeks.

Wait a further 2 weeks after fermentation has finished and then rack off into another Demijohn. Top up with cold water to the neck of the demijohn then store in a cool place for 10 months. At this point the wine should be clear and can be racked off again into clean wine bottles. However, the longer one leaves it, the better as it matures in the Demijohn.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 12:05 PM

Oh, thank you so much, Joe. I have picked my blackberries.
I hope this recipe excites others. Blackberry jam I don't like, but wine!
Marmite????
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Oh, thank you so much, Joe. I have picked my blackberries.
I hope this recipe excites others. Blackberry jam I don't like, but wine!
Marmite????

Yes Sweetie darlin' - Marmite. It's a yeast extract and will help to 'feed' the yeast to produce more alcohol.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

28-08-2018, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes Sweetie darlin' - Marmite. It's a yeast extract and will help to 'feed' the yeast to produce more alcohol.
Oh! See I am stoopid.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top