Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 01:44 PM

Re: Chefs - Washing hands

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I don't know about you, but every cooking programme I watch, none of the Chefs wash their hands or tie their hair back.

I watched this morning, British Menu, three people in a contest to be a Chef and one bloke had a big long beard and scruffy hair, but not one of them tied their hairs back or washed their hands in between courses.

You don't know where their hands have been, quite disgusting, I wash my hands and put an apron on when cooking.
Oh how I agree with you sj. It turns my stomach too when I see them tasting their food with a spoon and then dipping that same spoon back into whatever dish they are concocting after having it in their mouth! It's disgusting.

Agree also how often one sees them handling raw fish and meat and then going on to handle salad stuff. You never see them going to the tap to wash their hands first. OMG!

The qualified Chefs, as you say, should know better too. When my brother owned a restaurant years ago before retiring, he had it built with the kitchen open for the public to see, both cooks and waiting staff had hair tied back, cooks in white with hats, waiters and waitresses with proper uniforms with the women having to have their hair tied into either a bun or topknot. (they didn't have any waiters with long hair).
Mind you, having built the whole premises in cooperation with the local Health & Hygiene department, he was bloomin paranoid about Hygiene in there and always inspected the staff dress before service, and woe betide any staff member who broke hygiene rules. Even the chap in the potato room with the rumbling potato peeler machine who did nothing else, had to have the correct whites on!!
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 02:08 PM

When I go into a Restaurant, I try to take a peek to see who is in the kitchen. If I see a scruffy young man with long hair and a beard, I exit. I cannot eat thinking about him and how dirty things must be.

People who work in Restaurant kitchens, should wear something on their heads, an apron and if they can't wash their hands, at least put on those plastic medical gloves. I have a box of them all the time in my kitchen. I do not handle food, even tho, I am always washing my hands. It started when I was washing chicken to get ready to cook it, then I started wearing them for many things.

I really can't eat if I see someone prepare my food, without washing their hands first. It turns me right off. They probably go to the toilet and never wash their hands after, or scratch their butts, or their head. Oh gosh just the thought of it turns me right off.....
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 04:42 PM

Its like The Hairy Bikers, Si King with his beard and long hair all over the food, yuk!.

Another thing that annoys me, that now the Chefs serve up your dinner on a Chopping Board? If I was in a Restaurant and they did that to me, I would ask them for a Plate and fresh food, wooden chopping boards are the worst things for germs.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top