Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 04:42 PM

Music Association

Turned on the radio earlier and it was playing Mendelssohn's Wedding March. Got me thinking. Although this piece was written for a production of the play A Midsummer Night's Dream, imagine if it wasn't written for that format.

It's only by chance that we associate this music with weddings, in the same way we associate Chopin's Funeral March to, er, funerals.

Hypothetically, it could have turned out the case that Chopin's piece is played whilst the bride walks down the aisle and Mendelssohn's music played at funerals. Quite an amusing thought really, and I'm sure there's plenty of scope for wedding/marriage jokes here

Isn't it strange (or is it) that we come to associate certain pieces of music for certain occasions?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 06:39 PM

Re: Music Association

I agree,Dex. A couple of years ago I was at a funeral where they played 'All things bright and beautiful' - which just seemed so wrong - I have always thought of it as a Christening hymn.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 06:55 PM

Funnily enough All Things Bright And Beautiful is quite a popular choice for a funeral if youngsters will be there.
My complaint is it's always pitched too high!!

One of my daughters jokes about having Hark! The Herald Angels Sing sung at her funeral, simply because she likes it and everyone knows the words!!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 07:39 PM

Days by the Kinks at my funeral please
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 08:51 PM

Interesting Dextrous, but some pieces of music just lend themselves to the purpose for which they were written....The speed at which they are performed, the mood engaged when listening to the piece, and the instruments used to emphasise the piece.....
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Interesting Dextrous, but some pieces of music just lend themselves to the purpose for which they were written....The speed at which they are performed, the mood engaged when listening to the piece, and the instruments used to emphasise the piece.....
Precisely my point!! There's an agreed presumption on things such as tempo. Mood is the required and learnt corollary and as such, arbitrary.

It could just have equally have turned out that what we now consider to be macabre could be it's opposite, and vice versa.

Or are there other innate forces in play?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

10-09-2018, 09:41 PM

Here's one for you to ponder over - sing or hum the "happy birthday" tune to youurself. For what is clearly supposed to be a joyous occasion, is there not an undercurrent of melancholy about the music we attribute to it?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Here's one for you to ponder over - sing or hum the "happy birthday" tune to youurself. For what is clearly supposed to be a joyous occasion, is there not an undercurrent of melancholy about the music we attribute to it?
Yes I can see your point Dextrous.
There was this film, whose name escapes me.....
During the second world war and it ended with someone being sent to the firing squad to the carol....'Have yourself a merry little Christmas' it seemed to fit the situation though...
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

10-09-2018, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yes I can see your point Dextrous.
There was this film, whose name escapes me.....
During the second world war and it ended with someone being sent to the firing squad to the carol....'Have yourself a merry little Christmas' it seemed to fit the situation though...
Can't currently recall the film. Please advise if you get round to it.

Imagine if the Elgar tune "land of hope and glory" played at the last night of the proms was only ever played at funerals. Or, better still, if it was considered equivalent to relatively inane "muzac" (I think this is the term) played in lifts.

Is music so random arbitrary or does it's intrinsic value do something else which it was, is and ever shall be beyond our ability to see as otherwise?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Days by the Kinks at my funeral please

Yes .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top