Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 03:53 PM

Re: Hedgehogs

Yes, it's very sad isn't it Tiff.
I must admit I have seen more dead ones than alive the last couple of years.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, it's very sad isn't it Tiff.
I must admit I have seen more dead ones than alive the last couple of years.
The hedgies should be fairly safe crossing our road, but sadly they aren't.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
@ Pesta.. if he's beside your pond, can you make sure that if he falls in that he has a way to climb out again. I have heard of two being found drowned in ponds this summer. Obviously they would have been looking for water with it being so hot , and although they can swim a little, they do not always have the ability to get out of ponds.

There's a website which is widely used called Hedgehog Street. I can't copy and paste at the moment for some reason, but it gives quite a lot of useful information.

I have had 4 all summer, just outside the back door. A very big one a middle sized one and two smaller ones, so I assume it might be one family. I still put clean water out and food each night.
They are not eating as much of the food since the weather changed and the ground softened up for worms and slugs. I have also got a hedgehog house , but think it's not in the right place, and time is running out to find a better place.

Fear not Puddle, there's a wall about 7/8" around the pond. So all is safe.

I'll check out that Hedgehog website - thanks petal.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Hi Pesta,I had two mating in the garden,last year,and yes,they sure make a noise,.they were in every night,I haven't seen them this year,although I have seen hog poo in garden,only once,but I did see two this year,outside some flats,very early morning,..I have a hog house,but as far as I know,they haven't hibernated in it last year,I am going to move it,to the very bottom of garden,when I feel up to it,not sure what month they hibernate ?.
Pauline.... for goodness sake, take care lass. Don't be doing anything you shouldn't! Hope your're recovering well.

I don't know when they hibernate either, I will check it out. But for goodness sake you take care of yourself

Now, Hedgehog poo? I mean I realise they must poo, but how does one recognise their poo? I'll have to Google that
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

12-09-2018, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I love to see our hedgehogs bustling about, but sadly, can't remember when I last saw a live one now.
You were lucky to see your little night time visitor Pesta.
Yes, I only went out for a cigarette - and it was doing the soft shoe shuffle - lovely surprise

Maybe you haven't seen a live one because of all your lovely doggie brood - or perhaps it's because my Hogs shuffle and yours bustle
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

12-09-2018, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
We do get them in the garden, but in the last few months there have been 7 now 8, saw one this afternoon, in our road alone, killed by cars & another on an ajoining road. The drivers of the cars drive much too fast down & up our road, very few actually stick to the 30 mph limit & it makes me so mad when I sit in the front porch & watch them speeding passed.
Wow Tiff, 7 or 8? That's great Do they hibernate in your garden?

Yes, I know bloomin' racers, I wish they'd think a bit more.
I've not seen any squashed Hogs for a while, but loads of squirrels and a fair few foxes
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Wow Tiff, 7 or 8? That's great Do they hibernate in your garden?

Yes, I know bloomin' racers, I wish they'd think a bit more.
I've not seen any squashed Hogs for a while, but loads of squirrels and a fair few foxes
Not great for the hedgies as they were dead, but yes, I guess we have a lot around here, minus those.
My Daughter & her partner have hedgies who hibernate in their garden, in their greenhouse & they have hedehog houses in their garden too, they don't live far from me & I get them in my garden, but I don't think they hibernate here. I often see the poo in the garden too & often a pair are huffing & puffing all over the patio. The male chasing the female, who wasn't being very co-operative.

Taken a few years ago, but I see them most years..

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040033.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	7245  
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

12-09-2018, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Not great for the hedgies as they were dead, but yes, I guess we have a lot around here, minus those.
My Daughter & her partner have hedgies who hibernate in their garden, in their greenhouse & they have hedehog houses in their garden too, they don't live far from me & I get them in my garden, but I don't think they hibernate here. I often see the poo in the garden too & often a pair are huffing & puffing all over the patio. The male chasing the female, who wasn't being very co-operative.

Taken a few years ago, but I see them most years..
OMG, sorry I misread your post Tiff, I didn't realise you meant 7 or 8 dead ones

Now, your'e making me jealous with your photo, cos I ain't got a camera, but thanks for posting it
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 09:51 PM

Prickly subject..........
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

12-09-2018, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Prickly subject..........

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top