Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 03:32 AM

Re: American Maine Coon Cats

If you miss a meal-time then a Maine Coon will eat YOU .....
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
AFAIK (I had friend who bred MCs), Maine Coons are like dogs in some ways - they like being in water, they like lots of attention (but not "cuddling") and they like to follow you around the house and participate in your daily routine. You can walk them (on a harness) but training them is not easy - OTOH, if they like it, you will be walking them forever.

I got to love my friend's cats but I could love 'em and leave 'em - she couldn't leave and, although they weren't "spoiled", they were very demanding .....
Hey! If they love walking they can follow me around forever cause I easily walk for miles. It can help me chop wood, rake leaves, tend to my gardens, feed the birds..... ok maybe not.

Omah, thanks for the info but they sound like your average spoiled pet to me. Can you imagine surprising the husband
They have kittens a mere 2 hours from here. LOL!
But our cat would hate it and so would our dogs.
How would you travel?
With its head out the window of course
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 06:57 AM

I have a Maine Coon Rag Doll cross her name is Sox...she isn't as big as the pictures shown here but she is pretty big.

It's true about them being more dog like....you will think I'm exaggerating now but the kids in the neighbourhood come and call for her to play out....she loves that and plays with them on the village green next to my house. She is fearless too she stands her ground where dogs are concerned and never backs off...it confuses dogs who don't know her and their owners too.

She is a gorgeous cat .
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 07:27 AM

The pub that we sometimes call into after work had a pair of Maine Coon kittens, brother and sister actually.
They also had a Siberian Husky bitch and an Akita/Husky dog, it didn't take long for the kittens to take charge!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 07:54 AM

Beautiful.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 08:40 AM

Beautiful cats but it must take hours grooming them every day
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I have a Maine Coon Rag Doll cross her name is Sox...she isn't as big as the pictures shown here but she is pretty big.

It's true about them being more dog like....you will think I'm exaggerating now but the kids in the neighbourhood come and call for her to play out....she loves that and plays with them on the village green next to my house. She is fearless too she stands her ground where dogs are concerned and never backs off...it confuses dogs who don't know her and their owners too.

She is a gorgeous cat .
Hey summer,
Thanks for all the info.
How different are they to take care of from your standard domestic cat?
Apparently they need brushing everyday.
What type of food do you feed yours?
Do they live shorter lives since they are bigger?
Did you need to get bigger kitty boxes and how are they with keeping clean? Most cats are ultra clean so I’d imagine it’s the same.
Do you think they would get along with dogs if they were raised together when small?
How do they get along with standard cats. I’m wondering how my other cat would handle it.

I’m wondering how practical it would be to get one and how would it fit in with a small Yorkie and schnoodle and average domestic cat.

Please don’t feel obligated to answer.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

10-10-2018, 11:47 AM

By the way, thanks for all the info. about them
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

10-10-2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by CandyCrunch ->
Bratti, if you're on or near your east coast you probably have seen some or mixed breeds anyway.

No I honestly haven’t. I’m central Canada and have never seen anything like these but I’m super intrigued. In fact I want one

Thanks for introducing me.
I think
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 12:05 PM

In the United States it is not unusual to see Maine Coons bathing in the pool with their human family during the summer, as they are good swimmers.

Caring for a Maine Coon Cat

https://www.animalwised.com/caring-f...n-cat-999.html

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top