Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 03:39 PM

Re: No Rest for Mum and Dad

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
UJ, My daughter’s boyfriend rents a spacious apartment in Brighton. You might know him, he was a boarder at Harrow!

Oh really??? - what's he down here then - slumming it???
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 06:31 PM

Why does the government allow this anomaly?

15,000 tenants in Council Houses are in receipt of incomes of more than £80,000 per annum.
And 6,000 are earning more than £100.000, per annum which we are all subsidising

They could all afford to buy their own homes

These homes should be limited to people on lower incomes especially as thousands have been on the waiting list for years.

The government encourages 'The Rich to get Richer'
and 'The Poor to get Poorer'
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
If house prices plummet a lot of these young people will be in negative equity. If they have an interest only mortgage then that relies on prices always appreciating. There is an interest only time bomb. Lenders should never have been allowed to sell such mortgages.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...mortgages.html
I agree it's immoral .
I think the price of houses in this country is immoral.
There should be really affordable houses being built .
The must be a more creative system than the present one .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Why does the government allow this anomaly?

15,000 tenants in Council Houses are in receipt of incomes of more than £80,000 per annum.
And 6,000 are earning more than £100.000, per annum which we are all subsidising

They could all afford to buy their own homes

These homes should be limited to people on lower incomes especially as thousands have been on the waiting list for years.

The government encourages 'The Rich to get Richer'
and 'The Poor to get Poorer'
How do you know this Azure ?
I would have thought people with large incomes would have long since bought their council houses .

I have just found this article

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...nts-earn-60000
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 08:51 PM

This information has been in most of the Tabloids for some time
They prefer to rent a Father Christmas does all the renewals and repairs, so they then have more money to live the high life

It is so unfair. and the Government pay lip service to alter this situation, but nothing substantial is done by all these MP's sat on their backsides in there spacious expensive homes.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 09:17 PM

I would love to see the source of the data Azure. Apparently a large proportion of those in council houses are older. I think one of my mum's friends has a council flat. She's in her 70s and I think on a state pension. I'm not sure whether she ever worked. Her husband was a handyman. I don't know how much he made but for some reason they never bought a property. She's on a pension, her sons moved out and are property owners. I guess that shows that council housing is a good thing if it means that future generations thrive. But I do think that stats like those you mention are misleading without raw data.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 09:24 PM

I'm more offended by the right to buy scheme which meant that so many council properties were sold to tenants way, way below the market rate. I cannot believe this was a government policy.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 09:32 PM

I agree totally with you on that Annie.

There are now just 2 million council homes left in Britain – down from 6.5 million when Right to Buy was introduced by Margaret Thatcher in 1980, although a number of factors are behind the fall.

Worse than the tenants who benefited by this personal get-rich-quick scheme around 40% of those sold are now in the hands of private landlords.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8098126.html
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 10:35 PM

The councils would have and wanted to built more houses with the proceeds from the Right To Buy sales but the government wouldn’t allow them to.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 10:46 PM

Would the proceeds have covered rebuild costs after they'd sold them so cheap?

And if rebuild was the issue ... why sell them off in the first place?
Simples: They didn't want the burden of ongoing property maintenance.... new or old.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top