Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 07:13 PM

Council Houses

I wonder how many of us have lived in Council homes, and what memories you had.?

I was 9 when we moved into or first, when my sister was born,it was great,over looking a woodland two gardens, and a massive green at the front where all the kids would play.

Great for a kid growing up. My second was or first home as a couple a modern maisonette perfect for a working couple,it allowed us to get a foot on the housing ladder after a couple of years.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 07:28 PM

Re: Council Houses

I lived in a Council house from when I was born in 1962 up until I was in my early 20’s and moved out, I have to say they were newly built houses and in the Sixties / Seventies it was a great little community to grow up, it was a tough working class area of Newcastle next to the shipyards but I loved it.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 07:41 PM

My first was in Hexham until i moved to the bright lights and the big city of Newcastle to be with my friends and college mates.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 07:46 PM

Never lived in a council house, we & Parents had our own & OH & I bought one when we married too. We were lucky, houses weren't so expensive in those days.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 08:00 PM

I have never lived in a Council House, my Parents lived in a Rented House and the Landlord was my Great Uncle.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

13-10-2018, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I have never lived in a Council House, my Parents lived in a Rented House and the Landlord was my Great Uncle.
My first home was rented Susie, it was a big step up in comfort for the family, so much room for us all.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 08:08 PM

Born and brought up in one, lovely rural area. My parents bought theirs, big mistake as although Dad was a builder/stonemason he became ill with arthritis and diabetes and couldn't afford to maintain it. It was worth very little when my parents died, most of it went on care home fees and paying off the interest only mortgage. Sad as they thought they were doing the right thing.
I've come full circle as I'm now in a council bungalow, I could buy it for a small sum but I don't agree with buying them.
What was quite strange to think of now was that our neighbours were from all walks of life. Headmaster lived in one, photographer in another, bus driver, train driver, factory worker, most Mum's stayed at home.
Only two of us in my age group passed the 11+ and went to grammar school, that seemed to make a difference friends - wise.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 08:40 PM

I was born at home in our council house and lived there till I left home and got married aged 17. I have wonderful, fond memories of the estate I grew up on, I had lots of friends and am still friends with a few, everyone knew and looked out for each other, my parents often left the back door open when out with no worries of being burgled. It was a close knit community with great spirit. Ahhh the memories, take me back to those days, they were happier times.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 09:09 PM

I was born and bought up in private rented then left home and rented then housing Association then Council House which is where ive lived now for the last 14yrs....due to basically a shit hand in life ive never had the opportunities to buy like some have.
I love my council house,it was practically derelict when we moved in ,now after lots of work its a lovely home for me and my sons with a huge rear and front garden with a large drive big enough for 4-5 cars to park...(I have one)
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 09:32 PM

My parents rented from a resident landlord when they married in the late 60s. I remember living there and the kind landlady who would give me bread and jam and also a lovely scooter. But when I was just under three they bought a large semi. Houses were so cheap then but of course wages were low too.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top