Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 08:29 AM

Re: Council Houses

I've never lived in one.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 08:30 AM

I am grateful we never had to live in a council house.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 08:31 AM

Why ?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 08:33 AM

Great responses, like others i found the neighbours a great part of my childhood. It was like having dozens of Aunties and Uncles, we knew all of them by name. Making the jump to buy a house was quite a shock to both sets of parents, just was not the done thing in those days.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 08:44 AM

My Granny lived in one...it had a large garden and a vegetable patch. We lived in slums on near Leeds city centre so when we were moved because of slum clearance we went to live opposite granny.

Mum hated it so within a year we were back near to where we had lived previously....Crazy really....but there was no figuring out my mum
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->

Grateful?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 09:30 AM

i have lived on a very small council housing estate,(6houses)...I have also lived on a very large,rough council estate,..I now own my own home.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->

Is that because,some of the council estates are extremely rough?..I lived on one,we had nothing but trouble....I found the house lovely,it was a lot of the neighbours who were vile!,and bullies,drug dealers..
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 09:44 AM

When my family of six first came to live in England in 1953, we lived in two rooms in a rented cottage. I remember it had toadstools growing on the walls and baby mice were born in one of my dad’s shoes!
The cottage was condemned, my dad left us and my mother’s boss who owned the solicitor’s office where she worked as a secretary, applied to the head of the borough council and we were rehoused into a Council house.
There were so many characters living on that estate, all with a great sense of humour and we were always laughing.

We lived there until l was l was 15. My mother who hated living there because she was very snobby received some money from an insurance she had taken out on me when l was born.
She used this money to put down a deposit on one of the new houses being built locally. It was, just over £3,000. She was able to type the conveyance herself and her boss did the legal work for her.

When we told our friends on the estate that we were moving. Some were a bit sarky, pushing their nose up with their finger and saying things like, ‘Oh you’re moving to the snob area, you won’t want to know us now’!
It’s funny, when l see some of the people now from the estate, they still remember and mention that we moved and where we moved to.
It must have been a gossipy place!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2018, 09:50 AM

Wow Art, what a story,ta for sharing.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top