Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 08:48 PM

Are you a member of a gym?

How often do you go? What aspects of it do you like the most?

If you're not a member, what puts you off?
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 08:59 PM

Re: Are you a member of a gym?

I am a member of a ladies-only gym in our village - Curves, a US franchise group. Machines are geared to female physiques and build strength rather than muscle. I totally love it, it's a really friendly place with much laughter and joking. There are members of all ages there, from girls of about 11 or 12 up to a couple of ladies in their late 70s, and some come quite a distance!

In addition to the usual circuit, there are 'boot camp' sessions most days, and zumba one a week.

I joined last February, and tomorrow will be my 100th session! I get a gift of a pair of socks, I'm told!
indenial
Lincolnshire UK
indenial is female 

04-02-2016, 09:47 PM

No.

I can certainly see the advantage when the weather is lousy, and I suppose if you meet friends there it would be an incentive to keep going. It's just that I prefer to run outside in the fresh air and enjoy the scenery rather than on a treadmill. I've got my dumbbells and barbell for strength training - I don't know if the machines in a gym would be better, but I'm quite happy doing it at home with my own music.

My son joined, and I think one thing that puts me off is that he says lots of people don't wipe the machines after they've used them and leave them covered in sweat! At least I only have my own sweat to wipe up!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 10:20 PM

I have never been a member of a Gym, I do an hours exercise religiously every day in the privacy of my own home and if I may say so it’s done me a power of good, without fear of preaching I think everyone over 50 should do some daily exercise, be it in a Gym or at home.
Gyms put me off, people grunting and groaning, special times allotted, no privacy, sweaty bodies, not to mention you have to pay for the privilige of all this, no thanks.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 11:13 PM

Not a gym although in the past Ive done dance class, aerobics then dance aerobics and more recently zumba.

I only stopped because the GP told me if I carried on I would likely need a knee replacement within 5 years.
Ive heard of a low impact zumba for slightly older people but its not in my area.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
I am a member of a ladies-only gym in our village - Curves, a US franchise group. Machines are geared to female physiques and build strength rather than muscle. I totally love it, it's a really friendly place with much laughter and joking. There are members of all ages there, from girls of about 11 or 12 up to a couple of ladies in their late 70s, and some come quite a distance!

In addition to the usual circuit, there are 'boot camp' sessions most days, and zumba one a week.

I joined last February, and tomorrow will be my 100th session! I get a gift of a pair of socks, I'm told!
I've heard of Curves I think we have a few gyms in South Wales that are for women-only, must be quite a demand for them?

Congrats on your 100th session

Originally Posted by indenial ->
No.

I can certainly see the advantage when the weather is lousy, and I suppose if you meet friends there it would be an incentive to keep going. It's just that I prefer to run outside in the fresh air and enjoy the scenery rather than on a treadmill. I've got my dumbbells and barbell for strength training - I don't know if the machines in a gym would be better, but I'm quite happy doing it at home with my own music.

My son joined, and I think one thing that puts me off is that he says lots of people don't wipe the machines after they've used them and leave them covered in sweat! At least I only have my own sweat to wipe up!
Running in fresh air is definitely preferred - well, unless you live in London or another polluted area

Re the gyms machines, if it's a good gym then yeah I think the machines are a noticeable help because they are designed to help work and isolate muscles better. But it sounds like you are doing just fine

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I have never been a member of a Gym, I do an hours exercise religiously every day in the privacy of my own home and if I may say so it’s done me a power of good, without fear of preaching I think everyone over 50 should do some daily exercise, be it in a Gym or at home.
Gyms put me off, people grunting and groaning, special times allotted, no privacy, sweaty bodies, not to mention you have to pay for the privilige of all this, no thanks.
Nice one Jem! An hour a day is really good!! I agree that everyone over 50 should exercise too - it is so important to maintaining health.

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Not a gym although in the past Ive done dance class, aerobics then dance aerobics and more recently zumba.

I only stopped because the GP told me if I carried on I would likely need a knee replacement within 5 years.
Ive heard of a low impact zumba for slightly older people but its not in my area.
Can you do Zumba in the swimming pool Cass? I'm sure I thought they were doing that at my local leisure centre - might be easier on the joints?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 01:43 AM

I go twice a week as I already mentioned elsewhere.

I read in the paper yesterday that gyms are unhealthy places though!
Apparently, sweaty workout rooms are a haven for airborne and surface germs passed around by people exercising close to each other. Virus's and bacteria also increase two-fold at this time of year due to spikes in new members and are spread quickly by fans and air con units.

A doctor from the |University of East Anglia said "Gym goers will be more exposed to particular viruses." She advised cleaning equipment with antibacterial wipes before use or training outside instead.

There is a lovely old chap where I go who is 85 years old and still very healthy and fit. He cycles everywhere too.
When he vacates any equipment, he wipes it all down ready for the next person to use. He is the only person I know there, who is so considerate
of other people.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

05-02-2016, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I go twice a week as I already mentioned elsewhere.

I read in the paper yesterday that gyms are unhealthy places though!
Apparently, sweaty workout rooms are a haven for airborne and surface germs passed around by people exercising close to each other. Virus's and bacteria also increase two-fold at this time of year due to spikes in new members and are spread quickly by fans and air con units.

A doctor from the |University of East Anglia said "Gym goers will be more exposed to particular viruses." She advised cleaning equipment with antibacterial wipes before use or training outside instead.

There is a lovely old chap where I go who is 85 years old and still very healthy and fit. He cycles everywhere too.
When he vacates any equipment, he wipes it all down ready for the next person to use. He is the only person I know there, who is so considerate
of other people.
Don't tell me that Mups... I am germ phobic
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Don't tell me that Mups... I am germ phobic

I know, not a very nice thought is it.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->

Can you do Zumba in the swimming pool Cass? I'm sure I thought they were doing that at my local leisure centre - might be easier on the joints?
I could, they have ladies only mornings and aqua fit classes but only during the day when Im working

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top