Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
indenial
Lincolnshire UK
indenial is female 

05-02-2016, 10:17 AM

Re: Are you a member of a gym?

Re gyms being unhealthy places, I have been told by two separate dance/fitness instructors that they never use a swimming pool because during their stints at leisure centres when they had to take samples of the water they were so horrified at the various nasties in the water that they never fancied going in the water again!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 10:21 AM

... and as for jacuzzis!
I've never been in one and I have no wish to share the dirt and microbes of goodness knows how many others, all kept brewing at a temperature to help the bugs flourish
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
... and as for jacuzzis!
I've never been in one and I have no wish to share the dirt and microbes of goodness knows how many others, all kept brewing at a temperature to help the bugs flourish
Having worked in the leisure/sport industry all my life, the one place I will never go is in a jacuzzi. Even the cleanest are just a 'soup' of bacteria, dead skin and other nasties too yucky to mention. The only time they are properly clean is when they've been emptied and giving a through disinfecting. But as soon as someone gets in it, that's all out of the window.

Sorry if I've alarmed anyone, but really, would you get into a normal bath that a stranger has just vacated?

Ugh.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 11:26 AM

I don't see the point of gyms, a member of my family goes to one and I want to say 'for heavens sake save your money, go home , cut the lawn and clean your dirty windows. Next wash some paintwork that will keep you fit '.

A gym sounds like my idea of hell, sweaty, smelly germy people all shut in one place together aggggg

A health programme I watched recently stated that a walk or run in the countryside was better for you than a treadmill in a gym and kinder on your joints because you vary your pace and put pressure on different areas of your feet and body as you naturally adjust to various terrains and avoid objects .It also gives a better sense of well being and a dose of vitamin D.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 11:57 AM

The previous owners belonged to a gym (ballantines) and when renewal came up for membership they demanded the membership fee that was due. Gave 2 weeks to pay or take to court. We just sent it back saying no longer at this address and have heard no more

That company never even bothered to find out if they still lived at our address
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 01:08 PM

The jacuzzi in my gym is actually part of the pool - so it gets all the chlorine too

I won't use pools because of the bleach (which your liver has to process) and jacuzzi's because of the dirt. I saw one at closing time (in another pool) and there was about 3 litres of dirt settled at the bottom!
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 01:14 PM

No I don't go to a gym, I am nearly 72 and decided that keeping a three bedroomed house and a garden tidy is enough exercise for me.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 07:36 PM

I've been a member of a health club for 3 years now. Upstairs is a gym with all sorts of equipment and a couple of studios for exercise classes. I stay downstairs at the pool and spa, I swim 50 lengths Monday to Friday then have a sprawl in one of the jacuzzi's for a while. There's saunas and steam rooms too but I'm not so keen on them. I love it and am in the pool about 7.30 am it sets me up for the day, them home for a well earned coffee before I start the days work...
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 09:25 PM

I'm a member of a gym but don't use it much! I do use the swimming pool though so my membership fee isn't wasted.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 12:02 PM

I go to a mixed gym that's situated in my local Age UK building. Only £1 a session - which can be as long or as short as you like - and there's no membership fee. We have a good natter while we work out and it's as much a social activity as a workout. I try and get there two to three times a week.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top