Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 11:33 PM

Re: Can exercise reverse the aging process?

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Great share, and good comments here.

I generally find that my quality of life seems to be better than many my age. I'm fortunate to still be surfing, running, backpacking, ascending mountains, and working in very high altitudes that many of my peers have abandoned because they claim to be - too old. I tend to think they could do these things if they just conditioned into them, but they have made a mental decision to let go because they blame their numerical age.

In essence, I live longer, I have gained not more years at the end, but more and better years right here in the middle.
I think you are amazing SM !
I once tried surfing and couldn't even haul myself on the board and that was many decades ago !
You are superwoman !
I still ride though and surprise myself .
Must be muscle memory that that I don't have when looking for my keys !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 11:39 PM

Just seen this didn't know where to put it -perhaps it should have gone in the 80 year model thread .

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I think you are amazing SM !
I once tried surfing and couldn't even haul myself on the board and that was many decades ago !
You are superwoman !
I still ride though and surprise myself .
Must be muscle memory that that I don't have when looking for my keys !
I can sure commiserate about learning to surf. I was a disaster, but I have a stubborn streak, so I flailed around like a drowning moose until I finally got it (somewhat) right .

As for the keys, when you figure that out, let me know. The connection between my brain and hands - with anything of value in them - was lost years ago .
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 10:59 AM

I am speechless at Ernestine Sheppard and how amazing she is! I had never heard of her before but she really and truly is an inspiration and a role-model.
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Just seen this didn't know where to put it -perhaps it should have gone in the 80 year model thread .

This video has really inspired me!!!

I'm only just past 50, but have had neuro problems since my 30's and was originally in a wheelchair full time with carers.

I've managed to get back to living independently. Can stand and walk a few steps with walking aids, get myself out of bed etc... switched from electric chair to large class 3 mobility scooter which is much better for outside terrain and dog walking.

Currently still need to use manual chair if family take me out anywhere that would involve lots of walking such as shopping trips for a couple of hours, but can get from car into their houses on crutches (if its not far before I can sit down again) and into pub if they drop me off right at the door (and I stop to sit on the nearest seat indoors, till everyone comes in!).

Been using electric pedals for years as the brain couldn't co-ordinate the pedalling movement fluidly enough for me to do it manually but now after many years my brain seems to have rewired itself (known as Neuroplasticity) and I'm now able to pedal manually under my own steam (still a bit slow and jerky but its there and managed to find an upright exercise bike I can get on and off with no high step over bar.

Trying to get from 2 sticks/crutches to one as I think the co-ordinating of 2 crutches with 2 legs is slowing me down so working on core strength and balance as I think one stick would be easier.

I was thinking my current level maybe as far as I could get and accept that but after watching that video when she didn't start exercising until 71 and was in guiness book of records by 80 for weightlifting its really inspired me to see if I can get a little bit more back!

I'd love to be able to just walk to nearest field round and back with the dog though I'd need to be able to walk and stay standing for at least an hour without needing to sit down at all to achieve that but currently only on kind of 'room to room' distance for walking with aids.

I'm hoping the new exercise bike will strengthen legs further and build muscle as all my leg muscle seems to have gone despite using the electric pedals for years. (they just look like boney legs with a lot of water in the calves no firm muscle )

I might try getting ankle or wrap round leg weights to wear when pedalling to see if that will help re-build calf muscle over this next year. Maybe this time next year I can be walking to that field under my own steam!!!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 10:51 AM

Wow Susan. You are one VERY inspirational women.
Your perseverance is amazing.
Never underestimate the resilience of the human spirit.
YOU are incredible.
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Wow Susan. You are one VERY inspirational women.
Your perseverance is amazing.
Never underestimate the resilience of the human spirit.
YOU are incredible.
Thank you! That's made my day!

Just been back to edit my shopping basket after watching that video and took out the alcohol and put in some more healthy fruit and veg ..lol!

oh ..and looking for a wide gel seat cover for the exercise bike seat cos my bum's a bit numb after going on it the last 3 days!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Susan68 ->
Thank you! That's made my day!

Just been back to edit my shopping basket after watching that video and took out the alcohol and put in some more healthy fruit and veg ..lol!

oh ..and looking for a wide gel seat cover for the exercise bike seat cos my bum's a bit numb after going on it the last 3 days!
You made my day also.
You totally ROCK.
Bless you.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 11:58 AM

Susan you're a real inspiration!
I so admire your perseverance and positivity
Susan68
Up North, UK

22-07-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Susan you're a real inspiration!
I so admire your perseverance and positivity
Thank you!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top