Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 02:56 PM

Re: Women's World Cup

I think it is a good thing as long as it is not abused, such as players pestering the referee for VAR. Too much money in the game now for referee and assistants mistakes. Every weekend you get controversial decisions. Referees are only human and don't see everything.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
It was a crucial decision. They had to have a good look at it. Personally I did not think it was a penalty. Also with the offside goal it needed a closer look. Very marginal.

I did'nt think it was a penalty either. There was minimal contact. The referee took so long looking at the monitor, for a minute, I thought she was watching something on the other channel!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I’ve watched most of the World Cup and whenever I’ve seen the USA, I’ve always thought that they are going to win it again, they just seem to work harder on the pitch, and look the most accomplished team, they are supremely fit, and I can’t see either Sweden, or the Netherlands beating them, our girls gave the USA a run for their money though, although this World Cup has done so much for women’s football, it will inspire the next generation of women footballers all over the world..
Chances are because they've got better training, facilities, and more investment compared with our team. There's no fixed football pitch for them to play on and in some circumstances no changing room sometimes having to get ready in a shipping container.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I think it is a good thing as long as it is not abused, such as players pestering the referee for VAR. Too much money in the game now for referee and assistants mistakes. Every weekend you get controversial decisions. Referees are only human and don't see everything.
Why do they need VAR when there are so many TV cameras showing every aspect of the game from multiple angles? That penalty was plain to see from all the TV playbacks in slow-motion. VAR slows the game down too much and so makes the game `go off the boil`. How long did take to confirm that penalty? It should have been declared and taken at once instead of faffing about for a good five minutes.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 10:17 PM

The stoppage time is added at the end of matches for injury so you could possibly have a second half lasting well over 45 minutes. Travelling away fans having to leave early will soon get fed up with that.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Why do they need VAR when there are so many TV cameras showing every aspect of the game from multiple angles? That penalty was plain to see from all the TV playbacks in slow-motion. VAR slows the game down too much and so makes the game `go off the boil`. How long did take to confirm that penalty? It should have been declared and taken at once instead of faffing about for a good five minutes.
Yes, but the referee can't see all the different camera angles. They have only 2 or 3 seconds to make a decision. That is why they now have VAR and goal line technology. I still don't think it was a penalty but the VAR says I was wrong.
In tonight's semi final Sweden had what looked like a stonewall penalty but VAR was never consulted.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 11:17 PM

Tonight's semi final was a really turgid affair, both sides playing safety first football. I was praying, that anyone from either side would score, to save the misery of extra time. But no, we were subject to another 30 mins of the same mediocre fare. The Americans must be licking their lips for Sunday's final against the Dutch. At least it should be a helluva lot more exciting than what we were subject to this evening.
scot37
Aberdeenshire

04-07-2019, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
The stoppage time is added at the end of matches for injury so you could possibly have a second half lasting well over 45 minutes. Travelling away fans having to leave early will soon get fed up with that.
I don't watch rugby but I believe they have had bye line technology for a while now where the game is stopped and different camera angles studied if a try is not clear cut. Time football caught up.
scot37
Aberdeenshire

06-07-2019, 02:08 PM

England v Sweden this afternoon unfortunately it does not seem to be on TV. Should be a good game.

Sorry it is on television. Sweden take the lead.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire

06-07-2019, 04:14 PM

It's on BBC1 at the moment. I've just switched on, and Sweden are one nil up.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top