Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 04:45 PM

Re: Technology - what do you think about it?

Have used a computer since the 80's at work but only since the late 90's at home. The first pc (ME) was much, much better to understand than new one and had amazing programs which are not compatible with the more modern rubbish I have now! Neither is the best printer I've ever had which would print on practically anything flat! One we now have says it's for windows 7 but wont work with it, have to put stuff on memory card and then it doesn't often print! Bleh!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Have used a computer since the 80's at work but only since the late 90's at home. The first pc (ME) was much, much better to understand than new one and had amazing programs which are not compatible with the more modern rubbish I have now! Neither is the best printer I've ever had which would print on practically anything flat! One we now have says it's for windows 7 but wont work with it, have to put stuff on memory card and then it doesn't often print! Bleh!
I get that problem too Twizard, especially with PDFs for some reason!
If I want to print them I have to right-click and select print on the actual document to get it to print but I have to set-up the printer correctly beforehand - fiddly but it works, and I'm on Windows 7 too.

I have an HP Printer now but I really wish I'd kept my trouble-free Lexmark! stevmk2
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 05:50 PM

Lexmark was mine too, lovely old machine! Now have a Kodak, won't even install properly! Either have to put it on card, documents too when it decides to do them, or get my daughter to do it through her windows 8 but won't connect on wi-fi!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
And what did you think about it?

Were you a technophobe? Or have you always taken to it like a duck to water
I avoided computers like the plague for years, I had just got used to setting the timer on the video recorder and that had drained all my technical reserves in one go, never again says I, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Then my son who works servicing computers in a hospital, started to pester me to get one and he would show me the ropes, I was retired by now and had more time on my hands so why not. I was surprised to find it wasn't as frightening as I thought it would be, I've a very long way to go yet but I'm getting there slowly. I would like to thank the members here who helped me along the way, very useful advice.
Love the cartoon Bruce.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I avoided computers like the plague for years, I had just got used to setting the timer on the video recorder and that had drained all my technical reserves in one go, never again says I, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Then my son who works servicing computers in a hospital, started to pester me to get one and he would show me the ropes, I was retired by now and had more time on my hands so why not. I was surprised to find it wasn't as frightening as I thought it would be, I've a very long way to go yet but I'm getting there slowly. I would like to thank the members here who helped me along the way, very useful advice.
Love the cartoon Bruce.
I'm like a lot of people - I learned it all years ago and each new development I took in my stride and got it to work but now I'm out of touch and, as they always say regarding computers, printers etcetera, if it's on the shelf in a store it's already obsolete so people like me, now out of daily IT really struggle without informed help! stevmk2
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

26-01-2014, 06:07 PM

I got so fed up with not knowing how to sort things out I e-mailed the BBC and suggested that they do something useful with the licence fee, put on a program showing folk how to make the best use of computers, simple maintenance etc. No reply of course!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

26-01-2014, 06:10 PM

I got so fed up with not knowing how to sort things out I e-mailed the BBC and suggested that they do something useful with the licence fee, put on a program showing folk how to make the best use of computers, simple maintenance etc. No reply of course!
By the time the Beeb get around to even planning such a programme, technology would have moved on considerably Twizard so we're stuck with finding someone who knows how to fix things ourselves I think! stevmk2
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

26-01-2014, 06:12 PM

I usually ask MKJ don't understand what he's talking about but makes me feel better!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 06:13 PM

I usually ask MKJ don't understand what he's talking about but makes me feel better!
Typical of the BBC !
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 07:37 PM

Yes he has that special talent of making one feel better, even if you're wrapped up in cables and technical jargon and never got the thing going again at least you wouldn't feel bad about it, his poems cheer me up no end, even the sad ones.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top