Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

27-03-2013, 02:26 PM

Re: Nurses.

People moan about nurses and sometimes rightly so, but many of the patients, especially the geriatrics, aren't bundles of joy either. When I was doing my nursing course in 1968, one of the elderly male patients tried to touch up the young female nurses. We reported this to the charge nurse a very big bloke who sorted this patient out good and proper! My late mother was a pain in the bottom and I felt very sorry for the nurses having to deal with her, that is for sure!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 02:29 PM

One day you will be in that position - as we all will, hope we all get good and caring care.....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 02:50 PM

Some times I wonder why we get old with attitudes being so harsh especially now, the oldie Willow described could have been my Grandfather a more decent moral man you could not find but in old age he developed a habit of grabbing ladies bums, doctor said it was part of his dementia. Not saying nurses should put up with the behaviour but please understand some people in old age are not behaving like even they would want to, their poor old brains just stop working so well.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 03:06 PM

Its not just the elderly they have to put up with is it....
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

27-03-2013, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Some times I wonder why we get old with attitudes being so harsh especially now, the oldie Willow described could have been my Grandfather a more decent moral man you could not find but in old age he developed a habit of grabbing ladies bums, doctor said it was part of his dementia. Not saying nurses should put up with the behaviour but please understand some people in old age are not behaving like even they would want to, their poor old brains just stop working so well.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! In my experience old age tend to exacerbate previous behaviour patterns, it did in my mother's case, which is why none of us were particulary sympathetic.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 07:03 PM

Again , some are not seeing or forgetting what Nursing is, It is giving 110% to the job, all these things come with life in a Hospital. if a nurse is trained correctly she should be able to handle everything, can they not realise that they are there for the care and welfare of patients, whether they be gropy men of any age or poor people with dementia . They want to be a Nurse but dont want the work that goes with it.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2013, 12:07 PM

My OH spent 3 months in ICU in public hospital and the care he was given is exemplary I take my hat off to the folk who cared for him, he actually stopped breathing 3 times and it's only the nurse's attention that got him thru' it. imo.
When he was transferred to the respitory ward he still wore nappies etc and he said he never once felt ashamed at having to have young nurses attend to his needs ( male and female ) altho' he did feel embarrassed but not 'cos of the staff.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2013, 03:35 PM

Have had six (to date) stays in hospital - on all occasions, because I was bed-bound for a number of days, I had to be catheterised - not a very pleasant experience but unfortunately very necessary. I now feel no embarrasment whatsoever about undressing in front of medical professionals - after all they've seen it all before many times over. The nurses who cared for me, as others have said were exemplary and I wrote and told the Chief Executive of the NHS trust exactly that.
SOUL DJ
Hants. UK
SOUL DJ is female  SOUL DJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 10:09 AM

Some sad and angry replies and I could add more negative than positive.
A few answers we do have Modern Matrons however it isn't enough. We have CQC who carry out unplanned visits this isn't enough either!
We have education however it all begins in childhood; parents and schooling.
There appears to be a general consensus that the world belongs to each individual and not to the world as a whole. The majority think in terms of 'ME' not 'US' and whilst that continues there is little hope.
I am retiring next week, sad because I have much to give however I have run out of 'battle'.
I hope when my time comes I simply go, no hanging around.

Nearly forgot, we don't train enough nurses and therefore we go abroad to find them, a recent influx was from Portugal. AS for racism, the NHS is like many others; you never hear of racism against a white person.

Happy Day!
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

30-03-2013, 10:19 AM

The majority of nurses are good. It isn't an easy job especially coping with geriatrics, as I know from experience.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top