Join for free
Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 10:42 AM

Re: Nurses.

Originally Posted by SOUL DJ ->
Some sad and angry replies and I could add more negative than positive.
A few answers we do have Modern Matrons however it isn't enough. We have CQC who carry out unplanned visits this isn't enough either!
We have education however it all begins in childhood; parents and schooling.
There appears to be a general consensus that the world belongs to each individual and not to the world as a whole. The majority think in terms of 'ME' not 'US' and whilst that continues there is little hope.
I am retiring next week, sad because I have much to give however I have run out of 'battle'.
I hope when my time comes I simply go, no hanging around.

Nearly forgot, we don't train enough nurses and therefore we go abroad to find them, a recent influx was from Portugal. AS for racism, the NHS is like many others; you never hear of racism against a white person.

Happy Day!
Couldn't agree more with you DJ - I, too, have had numerous stays in hospital and have enountered good and bad nurses (and doctors - I don't see why they are being left out of all this with the new whole 'let's have a caring approach, when it comes to arrogance, they're in a league of their own). Sadly, the bad ones tend to leave a long-lasting negative impression because it isn't what people expect of a nurse. I also volunteer in a hospital and I've seen bed-bound patients ringing and ringing for a nurse and no nurse turns up (too busy making up beds - do they not know the difference between important and urgent?) and the patients have wet and soiled their beds and end up in floods of tears.

I think this is an excellent move on the part of the government and it is long overdue - nurses should work their way up just like they used to so that they understand the job from top to bottom (no pun intended). This sums it up (from the link): 'Roger Goss, of the pressure group Patient Concern, said: ‘Nurses at present are being told by their Royal College that theirs is now a degree profession on a par with doctors, so they think: “Why should I wipe someone’s bottom? Why should I make sure they have a shower? I’m far too posh to wash – or to care”.

‘It was a bad day for patients when someone decided nursing was a degree profession. It’s not, it’s a vocation.’'
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

30-03-2013, 01:38 PM

Nursing is a profession, NOT a vocation. A vocation implies that people who do this often unpleasant job don't need to be paid a decent wage! Nurses should do the nursing in a highly professional way, and attend to the needs of the patients in the correct manner so standards are maintained.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 07:04 PM

I think it's the right decision. It will weed out the ones with the arrogance to think it is beneath them to attend to the basic needs of a patient. The scandal of how patients have been neglected has shown there is a need for some nurses to be taught a little humility and respect for the people in their care.

It is a profession and they should behave as professionals not Prima Donnas.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 07:11 PM

I am just wondering which member of hospital staff do posters think would normally carry out the duties listed below when a patient is unable to do them for his/her self ?

•washing and dressing
•feeding
•helping people to mobilise
•toileting
•bed making
•generally assisting with patients' overall comfort
•monitoring patients' conditions by taking temperatures, pulse, respirations and weight
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 07:31 PM

An elderly friend of mine has just returned home after 4 months in hospital. He could do nothing for himself and received 'none' of the above...
His wife had to do all she could for him when visiting...
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 07:38 PM

An auxiliary nurse would carry out some of those duties listed.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 07:42 PM

His experience was horrendous... He is a lovely man thats for sure, bet he's glad to be home...
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

30-03-2013, 07:53 PM

As with so many issues in the UK at present, the elephant in the room which no-one wants to address is the fact that a large proportion of our NHS nursing staff are not from the UK. The last time my wife was in hospital (in a large West London teaching hospital), the nursing staff were appalling and not one was UK born. She had just had a major operation and was not supposed to go to the toilet unaided but found it almost impossible to get a nurse to help her and 9 times out of 10 had to rely on a fellow patient (or me) to go with her. In many cases the nurses' grasp of English was so poor that it was almost impossible for her to communicate with them. She was prescribed morphine every four hours and once had to wait 12 hours in agony before a nurse bothered to bring her her medication. In the end, I just brought her medication in from home as the nursing staff couldn't be bothered to do their jobs (I also brought her a cooked meal in every evening as the hospital food was inedible). The doctors, anaesthetists and consultants were brilliant, but the whole hospital was let down by the nurses. It wasn't that they were overworked, as they seemed to spend most of their time chattering together around the nurses' station. I would fight to the death to protect out NHS, but we really need to look at increasing the numbers of home-grown nurses (and doctors) we produce.

Apart from anything else, the importation of trained nurses and doctors from overseas is a form of imperialism - whereas in the 18th and 19th Centuries we stripped the poorer countries of their raw materials, now we asset strip them of their intellectual wealth - their educated and trained workers.

isn't this a contradiction in terms - you complain about the poor quality of overseas nurses to provide good care and then say we are stripping overseas countries of "their intellectual wealth of educated and trained nurse"?
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

30-03-2013, 08:27 PM

back to the original topic - the word nurse comes from the latin nutrice which means 'wet-nurse' one who provides direct nourishment via the breast when the mother is unable - it then broadened to providing nourishment in general to all.

this is the key - having worked in the NHS in my past his life I have observed a range of hospital staff, psychologists, doctors, pharmacists, social workers etc etc none of whom provided nourishment in the direct sense.

In my day I observed nurses providing direct care and nourishment from ensuring the bed was comfortable and did not add to bed-sores to ensuring that regular fluids were imbibed, through ensuring that food was taken, bodies were washed - in a nutshell everything from top to toe of the patient was cared for and it was well enforced by good and strict 'ward sisters' and 'matrons' - as a patient you might have been chastised but you were well cared for from top to bottom.

Nurses in their chase for professionalism and qualifications and equality have given up this life saving chalice - nursing care. I have seen nursing care administered from top to bottom and seen the delight on the patients faces as then felt cleansed - this is what has been lost and handed to untrained and unqualified laborers who do not understand the 'art and profession' of good nursing care. Caring for a 'complete body' takes a lot of care and science too - the two can go together - one has been lost.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

30-03-2013, 08:41 PM

Good post Davo...

Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top