Join for free
Page 5 of 21 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 07:53 PM

Re: Polite discourse vs hostility and rudeness

Originally Posted by plantman ->
This sounds all very complex and unnecessary.

In my experience, and not just on forums, some will always have stronger opinions than others and will press their argument further. This doesn't necessarily make them "hostile, for who is to judge that, but if you personally consider it to be so then all you need to do is ignore the post or poster and move on. There will always be some that have to have the last word regardless, just the way of the world really.
Summed up well - I see no problem with the forum as it is
Although 'some' need a room of their own
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
When someone goes to the trouble to start a site and finances it for the enjoyment of others, then those that join should adhere to the rules. If not, sling them out! They are not worthy of a membership.
I saw stuff written on this site this week that appalled me.... That member should have been slung out at the first instance.
I obviously missed something. Perhaps it's best.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 08:01 PM

Missed it too!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
But... why should we need to be "kept in line" in the first place? I mean, really, would you walk around the forums with a badge (sticker, icon, whatever) that basically says, in so many words, "I only want to talk to nice people?"
Hi Linda, in real life I only associate with people I like. On this site there are those I like and those I don't like............and I associate with both. What we are talking about are the aggressive people who I find impossible to like. Peer pressure might encourage them to be less confrontational.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Missed it too!
It's funny, I've heard other talk about nasty people here, but I never seem to run into them personally. Not that I'd want to because, admittedly, I can sling it with the best of them if necessary and that's not something I'm proud of. Sometimes my fingers start typing before my brain thinks about what I should and shouldn't say. And some things I've regretted saying at all. But, at the same time, I'm willing to look at all sides to an argument. With me, it's not "my way or the highway" like I've seen with other people online. Some people you just can't talk to and eventually you realize who those people are.

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Hi Linda, in real life I only associate with people I like. On this site there are those I like and those I don't like............and I associate with both. What we are talking about are the aggressive people who I find impossible to like. Peer pressure might force them to be less confrontational.
Well, perhaps you're right. That's usually how it happens anyway, from what I've experienced. Someone severely confrontational will come around and spew their hatred and nonsense, get ganged up on by the community and eventually leave. It normally doesn't last long.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Who is Matt, you have mentioned him before BC?
Hi Mags.
I thought that the owner of the forums real name is Matt.
But perhaps I am wrong?
I am not so good at remembering names nowadays!
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
Shurrup before I report you for being almost reasonable!
SEE Honey Bunny.
I CAN be reasonable sometimes, but some of you lot make this really difficult for me.
Just like you lot are making it difficult for Azz right now trying very hard to satisfy you all!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
Hi Mags.
I thought that the owner of the forums real name is Matt.
But perhaps I am wrong?
I am not so good at remembering names nowadays!
Sounds like you are confusing me with someone else - that's not my name.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales

21-11-2015, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Summed up well - I see no problem with the forum as it is
Although 'some' need a room of their own
O.K. Patsy.
I know that I can be paranoid sometimes, but surely you are not referring to ME.
Are you?
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales

21-11-2015, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Sounds like you are confusing me with someone else - that's not my name.
O.K. Azz.
So what is your real name then?

Page 5 of 21 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top