Join for free
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 05:36 PM

Carbon Monoxide Alarm.

My alarm kept beeping so I changed the batteries but still kept beeping.Pressed the test/reset button,still kept beeping.Looked up Mr Google read that these alarms don't last for ever.Found a sticker under the alarm stating-replace by 1/2019.So new one ordered from Amazon,arriving Wednesday.I didn't realise that they had a certain life span-shows what I know!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 08:32 PM

Re: Carbon Monoxide Alarm.

Ionisation smoke detectors should be replaced every ten years too.

The source (241Americium dioxide) has a half life of about 400 years, but the reliability of the electronics ceases to be acceptable after 10 years. Don't forget to change the battery for a GOOD make every year.

But there's a gotcha. The source is a strong alpha emitter so best to check with your council hazardous material disposal department what the local policy is for dealing with these things.

Americium is a horrid stuff. Even though there's only a gnats-cock sized bit involved and while it's contained within the ionisation chamber it's perfectly safe it's still not a thing you want to get up close and personal with if the chamber, an aluminium can about 2 CMS across with slots round the side, is opened. It will be sealed but don't mess with it.

If the council hazardous material oik says just sling it in the landfill bin then he's an incompetent fool who should not be in the job he is in.

TELL HIM - or her - to check out with someone who knows what they're talking about and get back to you.

Meantime just keep it to one side until he, or she, does get back to you.

Or just fly tip the thing and let it become SEP. (Someone Else's Problem)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
My alarm kept beeping so I changed the batteries but still kept beeping.Pressed the test/reset button,still kept beeping.Looked up Mr Google read that these alarms don't last for ever.Found a sticker under the alarm stating-replace by 1/2019.So new one ordered from Amazon,arriving Wednesday.I didn't realise that they had a certain life span-shows what I know!
I didn't either. i have had mine about five years now. Changed the battery a few days ago in fact. I suppose nothing lasts forever.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 09:22 PM

All smoke alarms should be replaced within ten years. Optical alarms should be in hallways and at risk rooms, ionisation alarms in bedrooms.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
I didn't know that either. Thanks for mentioning it!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top