Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2011, 01:52 AM

Mis-treatment of Animals

Following on from Merz's topic about Hatti, I would like to re-introduce a story which I believe I've already told on here about animal abuse, but I don't know where I posted it now.

Anyway, it was many years ago before I married and I went shopping for my mum to the local village. I had one of those bags on wheels with me and I'd finished shopping and was on my way home.

I didn't have a car at that time so was on foot and suddenly a little dog appeared from nowhere. He was, to say the very least thin, his fur was matted, he looked starved and was in a very poor condition.

The kind folk in the area started to throw food for him which they'd just bought from the butcher, which I didn't think was a good idea. Not that he didn't need to be fed which he did, but I figured they might not be helping him with their kind gestures as he needed a vet, but he was gobbling the food back, then he was sick.

We had never had a dog in the family but, if I'd had a belt on me, a piece of rope, anything, I would have taken him home with me because my heart went out to him.

I got home and broke down in tears and my mum asked me what was wrong. I told her and she said I should have brought him back with me, but I'd no means of doing. It was horrendous.

I've never forgotten that, and it was more than 40 years ago, but I do hope that somebody took pity on that little chap and rescued him.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2011, 02:21 AM

Re: Mis-treatment of Animals

Awww, the poor little mite.......I do hope he found a loving home to go to

My story was the beginning of this year. Our next door neighbour was in hospital, after having a stroke. One night, we heard a dog barking continuously and on looking outside, someone had dumped this little dog in my neighbour's garden (which was closed off with a gate). It was raining heavily at the time too, but he found shelter in my neighbour's porch.

This disturbed me, so I rang the emergency RSPCA number and asked for someone to collect him. They said they'd send someone around the next day, as it was very late. We couldn't have him ourselves because, (a) on approaching him, he was so frightened, he went to bite and (b) we'd just had Alfie from the rescue centre and he was nervous himself.

Next day, no sign of dog, no contact with me from anyone, so I presume that he'd been collected or found his way out.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2011, 02:37 AM

Such sadness lass.

My next encounter was with a poor cat that my own cat Pepsi brought home with her.

We already had adopted Max who was in a bad situation and he moved in with us of his own volition. He came into the living room one day, jumped onto my settee and settled down. I asked him who he was and he said "Ma-a-a-x." So I said okay Max, settle down lad. He stayed with us for a few years but the cat that Pepsi brought home with her was the most pitiful sight I'd ever seen.

Sorry to be graphic, but the cat Pepsi brought back had long dangly snot from his nose, he was physically in bad shape, but she brought him to us because she felt sorry for him and believed that her mum and dad would help, which we did. We called him Alex. He had cat flu, which can't be cured, so we gave him as much comfort as we could.

By this time we had 13 cats to look after and we could not afford a vet for every one of them, but we did our best. Alex was an old cat, but we gave him comfort, food and love and just a couple of months later he died peacefully in my clothes hamper.

Then there was Ben. A tale for another time, but with photos, and that was the saddest thing because he was only a kitten of about 5 weeks old who had been kicked out.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2011, 03:37 AM

I found a little dog last year
it was follwing the little boy I brought it there house
its was sop hugary i have it my chicken buttie
and callred the pound they came to pick it up
was a shame for it
the little boy called him sparky
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2011, 10:53 AM

My own two were found on a death row about to be electrocuted. Apparently they were in a very sorry state but by the time we re-homed them the rescue home had got them back to their rightful condition. I can't understand why anyone would throw them out to die as they have lovely natures. They still play like puppies at 5 years old possibly because when they were puppies they didn't get the chance.

If circumstances change and you can't keep your pet(s) for goodness sake take them to a bona fide rescue home. Don't just throw them out on the street.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2011, 11:06 AM

Dogs used to need licenses but I always thought it was people that need licensing. Too many people take an animal on a whim, never considering that the animal will need love and care for many years, and when it gets too much trouble they just discard it like a piece of old clothing or something. If caught doing so they should be banned for life from keeping any another animal..
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2011, 11:36 AM

Back in the 60s our family moved here onto a new estate backing onto a gypsey camp site. All of their dogs were left to roam and scavenge. We had Whiskey, our own dog and one day an old girl dog appeared at the gate at the bottom of our garden. She must have dragged herself there, the poor thing was absolutely riddled with mange, fleas and distemper, her eyes were infected and her paws were bleeding, her long white fur matted. Dad couldn't bring her in because of Whiskey. So he took his old banger out of the garage and converted that into a home for her. The vet came out to her and over the next few months with medication and lots of loving care from Dad she regained her health and turned back into the beauty she was. Dad found a loving home for her and was dreading the vet's bill, we had no spare money. The vet waived all his call out visits and the medication and just charged him the petrol money.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2011, 11:36 PM

These stories are so sad and make me so angry-the effect of any animal being mistreated stays with them for life, and they don't derserve this.

I homed my previous lab. direct from the owners and through my Vets. Went to see her and was told by owners that she enjoyed a good walk-2/3 miles a day,even though she walked with a limp from a previous injury which was treated. Only problem was she couldn't get up steps and they had a lot of steps, both to front and back. I live in a bungalow so that wasn't going to be a problem, so she came home with me.

Quickly found out that she couldn't even walk to end of my street Two weeks after, I got a call from her previous owners to see how she was doing, and to tell me they had now moved into a bungalow and had got an 8 week old Chocolate Lab. puppy. After hearing that, I told them in the politest way I could, not to ring me again.
Was a case of out with the old, and in with the new!!!!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

25-11-2011, 12:00 AM

It's really heart-warming to hear of so many genuine animals lovers all here in one place.

I'll put the full story about little Ben on perhaps tomorrow, as it is quite a long story, but I'll make a start.

It was one hot July night several years ago and I heard the piteous cries of a kitten so I looked through the bedroom window and saw it in a heap on the road.

It must have been about 4 a.m. but I went outside (in my nightie) to try to pick him up. He was petrified and couldn't run, but he rolled very quickly away and under a car so I couldn't get hold of him.

The next morning I was just getting into my car and I saw the black fur-ball across the road on the pavement. Now then, other people must have seen him and walked on by, but I went to pick him up. He was so tired he didn't hear me coming and spat at me when I picked him up.

I took him into my kitchen and told the others to look after him till I got home. We already had five cats at that time. I left a note for Gordon to warn him he was in the kitchen, in case he got home before me.

More tomorrow with photos.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

26-11-2011, 12:07 AM

If anyone would like to read about Ben, I've dedicated a separate topic to him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top