Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 01:39 PM

Google - or Forum

Thanks to this forum - I have googled many things and again, thanks to the forum I discovered how useful Facebook can be. But, sometimes 'googling' is tiresome, an explanation can go on forever and when you get to the end, its not what you wanted to know anyway.
So, I prefer to ask people here if I'm unsure of something and people are very helpful. Also I prefer one to one - so I hope you don't mind if I ask from time to time
Marki
East Midlands -UK
Marki is male  Marki has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 01:50 PM

Re: Google - or Forum

I find goggling pretty accurate when using the '+'. Lets say Im looking for a certain kind of door lock; DOOR LOCK, + CHUBB + BRASS + Amazon, gets you somewhere near what is wanted. Although i do find with some finer research the + doesn't work all that well. Hope this helps.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 01:56 PM

Depends what you are looking for, I've had a fair success rate too, depends what it is you want an answer to really.
I use Amazon a lot too ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 02:06 PM

I look on line many times too but have asked here when the answer is something I still don't understand, sometimes having some hand hold you through things is what is needed. So I hope no one minds too
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 02:10 PM

I always google even though I get loads of info that I don't need! If it came down to needing a 'personal experience' of something then this forum would be used cos some things are better that way!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

21-02-2014, 02:22 PM

Yep - you cant beat personal experience ....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 03:12 PM

I always think if you want a chat ask the forum, but if you want the right answers then ask Google...
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 03:16 PM

I use Google quite a lot, Ive found it useful for info about my various hobbies. But i always look at lots of info to get a balance. However personal experience is always a good source to explore, as companies do tend to push what will get results for them.
philwhiteland
Derbyshire, UK
philwhiteland is male  philwhiteland has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I use Google quite a lot, Ive found it useful for info about my various hobbies. But i always look at lots of info to get a balance. However personal experience is always a good source to explore, as companies do tend to push what will get results for them.
Yes, that is a problem with Google. The top answers are not necessarily the most relevant - they're just the ones that have been paid for.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Marki ->
I find goggling pretty accurate when using the '+'. Lets say Im looking for a certain kind of door lock; DOOR LOCK, + CHUBB + BRASS + Amazon, gets you somewhere near what is wanted. Although i do find with some finer research the + doesn't work all that well. Hope this helps.
Thanks for that reminder Marki - I'd forgotten about the + sign because I'm not in IT now so I don't look up things as I used to do! stevmk2

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top