Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 06:24 PM

Re: Ready meals for one - advice needed for a relative

Thankyou Dodge, and I agree with your last paragraph, buy different brands and see which she prefers.
Don't know if you have an M & S not too far away, but I often keep a couple of their meals in the freezer for when I can't be bothered, or in a hurry, and find them among the tastiest, especially their little one portion chicken or beef casseroles with dumplings.
But at the end of the day, it will depend on her own tastebuds.
Best of luck, hope she gets sorted.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 08:34 PM

Would DIL be willing to cook a few ready meals for your mum to have in her freezer until she feels able to cope more on her own?
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 09:46 PM

I have a friend who was widowed and in the very privileged position of having had a husband who did all the cooking .
She never cooks dinners even now . Her choice is Tesco chilled ready meals .
If I’m honest I prefer Sainsburys or M&S chilled ones .

What a tragedy it must be when one loses a spouse after so many years .?
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Would DIL be willing to cook a few ready meals for your mum to have in her freezer until she feels able to cope more on her own?
I have a feeling that is what will happen for a while. When the DIL is cooking a meal for her family I think she will make a bit extra for her mother in law. They live very close so it be very easy for one her children to rush round and drop the meal off.

My stepmother broke her hip a few years ago and has to use a walking stick to steady herself which means she is not able to stand up for long. This could also be a reason for her heart not being into cooking because she would have to stand longer to prepare the meal when before it used to be my father doing the majority of it, she helps for a bit until it get's too painful for her to stand so she would then go for a sit down and my father would finish cooking the meal. With his passing, she would have to stand a lot longer and I think she knows she would not be able to do so.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I do this for my dad. I bulk cook for him so I at least know he is getting a nutritious meal.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I do this for my dad. I bulk cook for him so I at least know he is getting a nutritious meal.
Seeing how her son and DIL have been helping her since my fathers passing, I would not put it past the DIL to do exactly that. Continue to buy her MIL (mother in law) groceries but bulk cook for main meal for her. My stepmother is capable of doing her own breakfast and sandwiches but it's the main meal she's concerned about. I have no doubt her son and DIL will have it all sorted out. I will still pass on all the suggestions given in this thread
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 11:30 PM

So sorry to hear about your dad Dodge. RIP.

It's not easy to find healthy ready meals that are also what someone that age might fancy. You could end up buying stuff that never gets eaten.

However, it may work to split the meal up. It's perfectly healthy to have a freezer full of frozen peas and other prepared veg, fish in breadcrumbs, ready to heat up breaded chicken pieces or burgers. A fridge stocked with some pies and ready made fresh soup. Some cheese slices and ham. A bit of relish or mayo. Fresh bread rolls in the bread bin and some butter. I guess you can buy ready made mash but peeling a few potatoes might be fairly easy as is boiling an egg or learning to make scrambled eggs with some toast. Yoghurts, trifles, some fresh fruit and porridge (a lifesaver for some), baked beans. All are simple to make with a bit of practice.

It's not gourmet but it can be possible to pick up the basics at that age. I wouldn't rely on ready meals though. it's like living on airplane food.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top