Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
vinylman65
east coast-u.s.a.
vinylman65 is male  vinylman65 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 08:43 PM

Re: Is there a book that changed your Life

Playboy?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 04:55 PM

It's a spiritual book in my case

REACHING OUT by Henri Nouwen

Reaching Out: The Three Movements of the Spiritual Life Paperback – 31 Jan 2000. ... Nouwen views our spiritual "ascent" as evolving in three movements. The first, from loneliness to solitude, focuses on the spiritual life as it relates to the experience of our own selves

All my life I have been complaining
that my work was constantly interrupted, until I discovered
that my interruptions
were my work.
Henri Nouwen

MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 01:14 PM

I guess that as well as the books I mentioned a couple of years ago on this thread, Catch 22 by Joseph Heller should be up there. My teenage friends fell into two groups - those who loved Tolkien, and those who loved Catch 22. The Tolkien group tended to be wannabe hippies , while those of us who liked Catch 22 were the political rebels. Until reading Catch 22, I hadn't fully understood the cynicism and inhumanity of the profit motive. Strange that some 57 years after its publication, a Milo Minderbinder figure (with less intelligence) has become president of USA Inc.
rcs60h
Bedfordshire, UK
rcs60h is male  rcs60h has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 06:32 PM

It was my father who encouraged me to read "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists" and although it did not change my life, I do believe that every MP should have to read it before entering the House of Commons.
The book is about a group of painters and decorators over a century ago, but unfortunately it could just as easily have been about today. Thus, showing that for the ordinary working class people very little has changed in all that time.
My father had been an officer in the Navy in the 1930's through to the 1950's and experienced life working with some very illustrious people including Lords and Sirs but on board a ship especially when it came to the War time service he also knew that everybody on board had a role to play and without that happening things could easily go wrong.
He always ingrained on me that no matter how lowly someone may appear that everyone has their importance and that they should never be treated any different to those at the top.
Both my father and I went on to be active Trade Union members where we both had to negotiate with top management in Multi-National Companies on behalf of ordinary workers and ensured that we kept to our beliefs.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by rcs60h ->
It was my father who encouraged me to read "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists" and although it did not change my life, I do believe that every MP should have to read it before entering the House of Commons.
The book is about a group of painters and decorators over a century ago, but unfortunately it could just as easily have been about today. Thus, showing that for the ordinary working class people very little has changed in all that time.
My father had been an officer in the Navy in the 1930's through to the 1950's and experienced life working with some very illustrious people including Lords and Sirs but on board a ship especially when it came to the War time service he also knew that everybody on board had a role to play and without that happening things could easily go wrong.
He always ingrained on me that no matter how lowly someone may appear that everyone has their importance and that they should never be treated any different to those at the top.
Both my father and I went on to be active Trade Union members where we both had to negotiate with top management in Multi-National Companies on behalf of ordinary workers and ensured that we kept to our beliefs.

Well said comrade !!!

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top