Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 09:59 PM

What Would Your Poor Old Mother Usually Have Been Doing At This Time Of The Year?

I was thinking of my mother and how she would be stuffing a chicken (which was a luxury then!)with breadcrumbs and onions mixed up with milk.
Doing the Christmas grocery shopping and loading the bags onto the handlebars, into the saddlebag and the front basket on her bicycle. Who had a car, never mind a second car in those days?
She would take us to a local Christmas Fair to see Father Christmas and we’d tell him what we wanted for Christmas. The illusion and fantasy of Father Christmas was soon smashed, as we saw him leaving the hall and go off on his bicycle! He was still in his Santa clothes!

Mothers seemed to do everything without the help of modern kitchen devices to ease their burden.
How ever did they cope?

Can you remember what your mother was doing in preparation for Christmas when you were younger?
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 10:40 PM

Re: What Would Your Poor Old Mother Usually Have Been Doing At This Time Of The Year?

My Mother would be worrying herself sick.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 10:41 PM

Re: What Would Your Poor Old Mother Usually Have Been Doing At This Time Of The Year?

Can't really remember, but one Christmas she & my Dad went next door for a drinks party & she was so drunk when she came home, my Gran had to do the Christmas meal & Mum went to bed. We thought is hilarious.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 11:05 PM

My mother would have been desperately trying to turn an Australian Christmas in the sun and heat into a traditional English affair. (She was Northamptonshire born and bred) She never had much success in that but it was always a happy one anyway. Bless her.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 11:16 PM

too upsetting thinking about it. wish my parents were alive now
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
too upsetting thinking about it. wish my parents were alive now
I can hear you there. I wish mine were too along with my older brother who we lost in 2000. I just try to remember the happy times and think of how great it was that we did have them.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 11:31 PM

My Mother would have been wrapping multiple presents for my kids with Love. Bless Her.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

Can you remember what your mother was doing in preparation for Christmas when you were younger?
Probably giving instructions to the housekeeper! Or - in later years - leaving it all to Dad.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 08:10 AM

I don't remember having a traditional Christmas dinner. Mum's heritage was Italian and she would usually visit the Bull Ring late in the day, buy a boiling fowl and a ham hock and make a delicious stock for a pasta meal which we all wolfed down - with red wine dribbled into each portion. God, I miss her cooking.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 09:46 AM

My Mum was like me, she didn't like Christmas much.

For shopping she'd take her trusty trolley on wheels on the bus but would have to walk home as it would be too heavy to lift onto the bus.

We used to have a tree (artificial), I remember it's branches looked like bog brushes

She used to make a Christmas cake but earlier in the year and keep it in a tin for Christmas. She used to buy tinned food during the year when it was cheap to keep for Christmas too, like that awful tinned ham with all the jelly round it

Dad used to make the mince pies and sausage rolls as he was the pastry expert.

Christmas Day would be Mum and Nan prepping and cooking lunch while Dad buggered off down the pub.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top