Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

30-07-2020, 09:07 AM

Re: What silly/stupid 'challenges' did you do as a teenager?

I didn't need to accept challenges from anyone else, I set them for myself from a very young age. It is a wonder I am alive to tell the tale as many of them were/are dangerous.

Here are just a few of the daft things I have got up to, nothing much has changed now I am in my second childhood.

As a kid I twice fell out of a tree I was forbidden to climb, fortunately I wasn't too badly hurt so I didn't need to report the incident to my parents. I would have been thrashed within an inch of my life for disobedience.

I found a live grenade in the attic, which I was forbidden to enter, it hadn't been cleared out for about 100 years. The Germans stored it there with other ammunition. I had no idea what it was and kicked it around outside like a football. This time I was indeed thrashed within an inch of my life.

We had a German shepherd dog, which was known to be dangerous, I wasn't scared of the thing and when I was ten
lay on my back and challenged it to bite my throat. Fortunately for me it didn't take up the challenge. My father shot the animal not long after as a neighbour claimed it had attacked him.

When we were living near Offa's Dyke in the 90s, wearing only shorts and T shirt, I decided to walked up the centre of it which wasn't far from our property. Suffice to say The brambles etc enclosed me and I had to climb about 30ft to get out of it, I was scratched to death. As you can imagine I didn't get any sympathy for my stupidity.

I was walking across a meadow next to a later property of ours, in which there was a herd of cows, a lowing flying plane frightened the herd and they charged towards me. I ran the first 10 second mile in history towards the style and vaulted over it, just before they reached me. PHEW!

A couple of years ago I was stupid enough to walk up the bridle path at the back of our present property after a lot of heavy rain, after having been advised not to do so. I fell heavily and ended up with a badly broken shoulder. I wasn't too popular as I was unable to drive for several months and had to rely on one of our girls to take me to hospital appointments, shopping etc.

There are many, many more dangerous incidents.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Twit.

Yep!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by monkeypuzzle ->
I didn't need to accept challenges from anyone else, I set them for myself from a very young age. It is a wonder I am alive to tell the tale as many of them were/are dangerous.

Here are just a few of the daft things I have got up to, nothing much has changed now I am in my second childhood.

As a kid I twice fell out of a tree I was forbidden to climb, fortunately I wasn't too badly hurt so I didn't need to report the incident to my parents. I would have been thrashed within an inch of my life for disobedience.

I found a live grenade in the attic, which I was forbidden to enter, it hadn't been cleared out for about 100 years. The Germans stored it there with other ammunition. I had no idea what it was and kicked it around outside like a football. This time I was indeed thrashed within an inch of my life.

We had a German shepherd dog, which was known to be dangerous, I wasn't scared of the thing and when I was ten
lay on my back and challenged it to bite my throat. Fortunately for me it didn't take up the challenge. My father shot the animal not long after as a neighbour claimed it had attacked him.

There are many, many more dangerous incidents.

Is this the same poor dog you have written about in the past? The one who was had to live outside in all weathers and never be included in family life?

Presumably your father only wanted him to be a guard dog to protect your property, hence that breed.

Yet when this dog thought he was doing his 'job' and protected you all, he was purported to have bitten someone, and his reward was to get shot.

You said yourself he never hurt you, even though you tormented him and tried to make him bite you!

Sadly, it sounds like that poor dog was probably better off gone.

I had GSD's for 30-odd years, and a gentler, more loyal animal you won't find.
If they are loved, they would give their life for you.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 08:56 PM

There are obviously going to be a tiny number of psycho pets, just like there are psycho humans.

But, in my limited experience of the canine world (ie friends), if a dog it treated well and trained appropriately, any danger is negligible.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
There are obviously going to be a tiny number of psycho pets, just like there are psycho humans.

But, in my limited experience of the canine world (ie friends), if a dog it treated well and trained appropriately, any danger is negligible.

Dex, in my experience, a dog is usually only 'bad' through fear, pain, bad experiences, or lack of good training.

(Much the same as us really).
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 11:31 PM

Dex, in my experience, a dog is usually only 'bad' through fear, pain, bad experiences, or lack of good training.

(Much the same as us really).
I agree 100%, Mups, and having seen the lovely photos you have put up of your GSDs and your Bedlingtons it is obvious you know what you are talking about!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by mups ->
is this the same poor dog you have written about in the past? The one who was had to live outside in all weathers and never be included in family life?

Presumably your father only wanted him to be a guard dog to protect your property, hence that breed.

Yet when this dog thought he was doing his 'job' and protected you all, he was purported to have bitten someone, and his reward was to get shot.

You said yourself he never hurt you, even though you tormented him and tried to make him bite you!

I had gsd's for 30-odd years, and a gentler, more loyal animal you won't find.
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

31-07-2020, 10:45 AM

Is this the same poor dog you have written about in the past? The one who was had to live outside in all weathers and never be included in family life?

The animal lived in the shed, it was there to protect the property and be useful as were all the dogs of its ilk we had. Any dog which is dangerous should be immediately put down.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by monkeypuzzle ->
The animal lived in the shed, it was there to protect the property and be useful as were all the dogs of its ilk we had. Any dog which is dangerous should be immediately put down.
Along with the person who caused it to become dangerous perhaps.

No animal is dangerous without reason.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Along with the person who caused it to become dangerous perhaps.

No animal is dangerous without reason.
I assume you're referring to the assailant, teaser, trespasser etc?

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top