Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 11:35 AM

Winter windscreen clearing

These freezing cold mornings are really miserable for motoring, but here is a tip to make the going easier and safer.

I always start the car up first and put everything onto max heat to the windscreen, before then using a jug of luke warm (not hot) water externally on all the glass to clear the frost.

The advantage of using warm water of course, is that it helps to remove internal condensation as well as the external frost, and I have done this successfully every winter for donkey's years without a problem.

Give it a go, see what you think.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 12:00 PM

Re: Winter windscreen clearing

I turn on the heated windscreen and air conditioning (settings as appropriate) .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
These freezing cold mornings are really miserable for motoring, but here is a tip to make the going easier and safer.

I always start the car up first and put everything onto max heat to the windscreen, before then using a jug of luke warm (not hot) water externally on all the glass to clear the frost.

The advantage of using warm water of course, is that it helps to remove internal condensation as well as the external frost, and I have done this successfully every winter for donkey's years without a problem.

I have always done that too Barry. I see them all struggling with their little scrapers, getting their hands cold at the same time when a jug of warmish water does it in seconds. Of course sometimes it is so cold that the warm water freezes instantly and it has too be done again but mostly it works first time.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have always done that too Barry. I see them all struggling with their little scrapers, getting their hands cold at the same time when a jug of warmish water does it in seconds. Of course sometimes it is so cold that the warm water freezes instantly and it has too be done again but mostly it works first time.
Same here LD, my neighbours all seem to spend an age scraping their glass, then start the car up and drive off whilst peering through a small gap in their screens, which will no doubt freeze over again before they get to the top of the street, absolutely bonkers..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 12:46 PM

I had ice on my windscreen in August when I went to Canberra. I was so surprised at such an unusual occurrence I took a picture.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	200829 003 Canberra Trip Ice on Windscreen.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	14403  
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 12:47 PM

I use warm water too then dry off with a wash leather.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 02:16 PM

I never use even the slightest of warm water since I cracked a windscreen. I always start the engine and have as much air as possible blowing up the screen. Then I give the outside of it a good squirt of de-icer spray and use a hard rubber scraper. One word of warning: I've noticed quite a good number of drivers turn on their wipers before clearing their screens. This WILL damage the wiper blades particularly if they are frozen to the glass to start with.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->

Same here, have always used warm water.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I never use even the slightest of warm water since I cracked a windscreen. I always start the engine and have as much air as possible blowing up the screen. Then I give the outside of it a good squirt of de-icer spray and use a hard rubber scraper. One word of warning: I've noticed quite a good number of drivers turn on their wipers before clearing their screens. This WILL damage the wiper blades particularly if they are frozen to the glass to start with.
Bolded bit, or is it because of rain sensor left on, I've been caught out with it.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 03:26 PM

If there's any risk of frost or snow we always use a windscreen cover like this:

Then when the screen defrost is on it takes literally seconds to become completely clear.
If we forget for some reason the screen defrost alone works pretty quickly; it turns the heating & vents automatically to the optimum, it's not an electrical system as some Fords use.

If all else fails it's a conventional scraper and some squirty de-icer.
I've seen screens crack when warm water has been used and I'm not risking it.
Not with my luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top