Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 07:58 AM

Re: Could it be Irexit next?

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I was merely stating the obvious.

No other major world economy has ever left such a major trading bloc,

Not obvious to me

Ireland voted against Lisbon as did most other EU countries.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Not obvious to me

Ireland voted against Lisbon as did most other EU countries.
Hi

If most others had voted against it it would not have been passed.

No other EU Country is anywhere near leaving.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

If most others had voted against it it would not have been passed.

No other EU Country is anywhere near leaving.

They had to vote again though didn't they

Italy is in favour of leaving, so is France.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
They had to vote again though didn't they

Italy is in favour of leaving, so is France.
Hi

Really?

Have their Parliaments agreed on this course of action?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...102116384.html
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I suppose this daft speculation will cease when you have finally suggested that each of the 27 (?) countries will leave. How many so far? Netherlands, Italy, France and now Ireland, I wonder who is next? But when you run out what will you do? suggest who will leave ASEAN? or OPEC?

It smacks of desperation to me -"we've left so everyone else should too". There doesn't seem much of a rush for the exit so far.

Actually it makes far more sense for Northern Ireland to join Eire and get the benefits the EU offers them as a net exporter. This would surely benefit both the UK and Ireland?

I vaguely recall that in the last Irish election two candidates standing on the platform of leaving the EU got less than 2% of the first preference votes and that membership of the EU is supported by over 70% of the population (might be higher).
How dare anyone even suggest that any other member state would ever want to leave such a wonderful being as the EU!!
As for talk of speculation? Wait until we have actually left at the end of the year. I am so convinced we will are just the start of those wishing to leave the Rot, I may even start taking bets on which country is next! My money is still on Ireland by the way.

Watch this space!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 09:29 AM

I wouldn't wish this chaos on anyone! Trying to justify it by pretending others are wanting it, is Shadenfreude of the highest level.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

15-08-2020, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
How dare anyone even suggest that any other member state would ever want to leave such a wonderful being as the EU!!
As for talk of speculation? Wait until we have actually left at the end of the year. I am so convinced we will are just the start of those wishing to leave the Rot, I may even start taking bets on which country is next! My money is still on Ireland by the way.

Watch this space!
Hi

Well, we will have to disagree on this one Shroppy.

My reasons for leaving were not financial at all.

I am simply not prepared to stay in an Organisation where Merkel can open the Borders, put us all at risk and then demand that others pay for it.

I am not prepared, under any circumstances to be ruled by Merkel and Macron.

They can get stuffed as far as I am concerned

The Common Market made sense, good for all.

The EU does not, it is completely different.

Others will wait and see what happens to the UK in these difficult times of a World Recession.

Protectionism is the name of the game now, looking after your own economy.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I wouldn't wish this chaos on anyone! Trying to justify it by pretending others are wanting it, is Shadenfreude of the highest level.
Any chaos, past and present, is all down to the fears, jealousy and sheer intransigence on the part of Remainers and the EU unable and unwilling to accept the democratic wish of the British people. If there is any finger pointing to make, aim it in the right direction please!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 12:30 PM

Watch this space!
Have they invoked article 50 yet? As you know after that, a two year period starts to negotiate the withdrawal terms. It took the UK double that time, but they started the process without knowing what kind of brexit they wanted. Funny enough, most still don't know what brexit they're gonna get.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 01:03 PM

Any chaos, past and present, is all down to the fears, jealousy and sheer intransigence on the part of Remainers and the EU unable and unwilling to accept the democratic wish of the British people. If there is any finger pointing to make, aim it in the right direction please!
Rubbish! It wasn't democratic if Russia interfered. That will never be revealed to us as it suits this Government to stay in power no matter how they do it. I said in the very beginning that the Tories would fix things so they would have absolute power and they have, Brexit was just a part of it. This Government will no longer be held to account for anything it does. Even the constituencies have had borders moved in their favour!
I will hold Brexiteers responsible for everything bad that happens here now.
We're losing control not taking it back.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top