Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 10:54 PM

Mains powered smoke alarm

I have a mains powered smoke alarm in our hall which, to be honest, I had forgotten about!
I have two battery powered smoke alarms elsewhere in the house which I am about to replace, as they are at the end of their stated life. The new units I have sent for have a guaranteed life of 10 years including lithium batteries.

I was also going to replace the mains powered unit, but it occurred to me that a similar replacement would also have a guaranteed life of at most 10 years, and would cost at least as much as the battery powered ones I have ordered, so why mess about with another mains powered one?

Now for my question. If I remove the mains powered unit, what do I do with the trailing wires? I assume these lead from a transformer somewhere in the loft (it's a bungalow) and that is likely to be attached to the nearest light fitting. If so, the loft is boarded in that area, so I'm going to have to remove floorboards to get at it.
I'd prefer to remove the lot: transformer and attached cables. Is there an easy way of doing that, or is it safe just to leave the lot in the loft, still attached to the mains supply?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 11:00 PM

Re: Mains powered smoke alarm

I got rid of my mains powered one ages ago too, JBR.
I prefer the battery ones, I can see to them myself easier.

Judd will be able to help you about the wiring when he logs back on.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I got rid of my mains powered one ages ago too, JBR.
I prefer the battery ones, I can see to them myself easier.

Judd will be able to help you about the wiring when he logs back on.
Thanks Mups.
Did you get someone in to do it for you?
Havenview
United Kingdom
Havenview is male  Havenview has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have a mains powered smoke alarm in our hall which, to be honest, I had forgotten about!
I have two battery powered smoke alarms elsewhere in the house which I am about to replace, as they are at the end of their stated life. The new units I have sent for have a guaranteed life of 10 years including lithium batteries.

I was also going to replace the mains powered unit, but it occurred to me that a similar replacement would also have a guaranteed life of at most 10 years, and would cost at least as much as the battery powered ones I have ordered, so why mess about with another mains powered one?

Now for my question. If I remove the mains powered unit, what do I do with the trailing wires? I assume these lead from a transformer somewhere in the loft (it's a bungalow) and that is likely to be attached to the nearest light fitting. If so, the loft is boarded in that area, so I'm going to have to remove floorboards to get at it.
I'd prefer to remove the lot: transformer and attached cables. Is there an easy way of doing that, or is it safe just to leave the lot in the loft, still attached to the mains supply?
The mains powered smoke alarms are exactly that - mains powered - they will have a mains feed directly into them, often as you say from a nearby light fitting (although they can be from a dedicated circuit)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-09-2020, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Havenview ->
The mains powered smoke alarms are exactly that - mains powered - they will have a mains feed directly into them, often as you say from a nearby light fitting (although they can be from a dedicated circuit)
Thanks. Useful information.
If I want to use a new battery-powered smoke alarm in its place, I shall have to make good the mains wiring.
I seem to have two options.

I could open the nearest light fitting and hopefully find the connections, but one will have to be to a permanent live and the other to a neutral. If they're not there, who knows where the connection will be?

The other option would be to make safe the power supply to the smoke alarm and leave them in the ceiling. If I attached chock blocks on them, would that be acceptable do you think or is there something else I'd have to do?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 02:55 AM

If you are not a qualified electrician - call one. Please!..no matter "Mr Fixit" you think you are..(I tend towards that myself) DO NOT mess with mains electricity. A guy in my neighbourhood prided himself on being good at "home wiring". He was not in any way qualified as a sparky. He had a house fire which was determined to be because of his amateur electrical efforts. His insurance was void because of it and he had to fork out more than $50k for repairs. Just a thought.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
If you are not a qualified electrician - call one. Please!..no matter "Mr Fixit" you think you are..(I tend towards that myself) DO NOT mess with mains electricity.
Sound advice.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-09-2020, 11:57 AM

Thank you both.
I may decide to replace the mains powered smoke alarm with another of the same type. That would be not only the safest, but also the easiest option!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thank you both.
I may decide to replace the mains powered smoke alarm with another of the same type. That would be not only the safest, but also the easiest option!
Don't forget to turn the power off at the consumer unit before taking the old one down and replacing it JBR.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-09-2020, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Don't forget to turn the power off at the consumer unit before taking the old one down and replacing it JBR.
Of course. Thank you.

Actually, although I'm not an electrician, I have done similar simple jobs: replacing sockets, light switches and lamp fittings, etc., and I haven't killed myself yet.

Of course, there's always a first (and last) time!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top