Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 03:52 PM

Long Covid

A new feature of Covid is that some patients never fully recover and develop a long term condition similar to ME. This hasn't been taken seriously by some doctors but is now gaining attention. The clinician on the news was saying that Covid has mistakenly been labelled a respiratory condition, whereas it's a disease of the blood vessels and can affect and lead to long term damage of any organ :

"“Profound fatigue” was a common symptom in most people with long covid, she said, but added that a wide range of other symptoms included cough, breathlessness, muscle and body aches, and chest heaviness or pressure, but also skin rashes, palpitations, fever, headache, diarrhoea, and pins and needles. “A very common feature is the relapsing, remitting nature of the illness, where you feel as though you’ve recovered, then it hits you back,” she said"

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3489
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 04:02 PM

Re: Long Covid

Good Grief it's getting worse all the time..
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
A new feature of Covid is that some patients never fully recover and develop a long term condition similar to ME. This hasn't been taken seriously by some doctors but is now gaining attention. The clinician on the news was saying that Covid has mistakenly been labelled a respiratory condition, whereas it's a disease of the blood vessels and can affect and lead to long term damage of any organ :

“Profound fatigue” was a common symptom in most people with long covid, she said, but added that a wide range of other symptoms included cough, breathlessness, muscle and body aches, and chest heaviness or pressure, but also skin rashes, palpitations, fever, headache, diarrhoea, and pins and needles. “A very common feature is the relapsing, remitting nature of the illness, where you feel as though you’ve recovered, then it hits you back,” she said"

Indeed .....

I read about the complications earlier on via the BBC website but I decided to leave it to someone else to start a COVID-19 "warning" thread .....

'Long Covid' patients need treatment programme, doctors say

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54031587

The Royal College of GPs is calling for a national network of "post-Covid" clinics to help such people.

But less than 12% of 86 NHS care commissioning groups asked by the BBC said they were running such services.

NHS England said it was "rapidly expanding new and strengthened rehab centres".

Tim Spector, professor of genetic epidemiology at King's College London and leader of the Covid Symptom Study app, said around 300,000 people in the UK have reported symptoms lasting for more than a month - so called "long Covid".

He added that data from the app showed around 60,000 people have been ill for more than three months
Those figure indicate that just about all "recorded" cases have "long Covid" symptoms, although the total may be a mix of recorded and unrecorded .....

Way back in May I reported:

Coronavirus: Rehab centre takes first patients

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=68438

That centre is for up to post-trauma patients but new centres will be required for those with post-recovery conditions.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 07:33 PM

Interesting and very worrying.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 07:41 PM

I've been going on about long term effects for months after seeing friends and friends of friends deteriorate with strange symptoms. Not sure why it takes them so long to make the obvious official. A bit like with the mask guidance and now we are all wearing them....A BFFs schoolfriend's daughter is bedridden months after being infected and she is in her twenties no previous conditions. Totally disabled by this. I wish people would stop calling this flu.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 09:04 AM

That poxy Chinese virus has left me with the inability to fully regulate by body temperature. I now regularly overheat (often after eating) to the point of severe sweating which can last around 1hr. Also my wife has been left with prolonged severe sneezing fits that will hit her without warning. Both of us have been left with breathlessness which usually strikes after going up stairs or something strenuous such as sweeping up leaves. All our doc said is that it has been noted and will be added to the general report that goes off at the end of each week to area NHS.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 11:14 AM

Coronavirus patient fears 'not getting back to normal'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-54106073

Jade Townsend, 22, was active and sociable before spending just one night in hospital after contracting Covid-19. But she said she can no longer work and suffers chronic fatigue, fevers, nausea and a fluctuating fast heart rate.

Five weeks after catching the illness in mid-March, Ms Townsend, from Witney in Oxfordshire, was taken to hospital with a high fever and difficulties breathing. Five months later, she has had to give up her job at a nursery and said she "can't imagine" resuming her social life. "I'm now nearly needing more hours of sleep than time awake," said Ms Townsend."It worries me at 22 I'll be stuck with some of these symptoms and I won't ever be able to get back to my normal self."

Researchers studying long-term effects of the virus said they hoped to prevent a "cycle of illness where the symptoms continue". Many coronavirus patients have reported debilitating symptoms continuing months after falling ill, which can include breathlessness, chronic fatigue and brain fog.

Dr Rachael Evans, from the University of Leicester, has worked on a UK-wide investigation into the long-term effects of Covid-19 for patients admitted to hospital. Dr Evans's study aims to recruit 10,000 people to assess their physical function and mental health, also taking samples to analyse their genes and immune system.
What a blow for such a young person ......
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

"“Profound fatigue” was a common symptom in most people with long covid, she said, but added that a wide range of other symptoms included cough, breathlessness, muscle and body aches, and chest heaviness or pressure, but also skin rashes, palpitations, fever, headache, diarrhoea, and pins and needles. “A very common feature is the relapsing, remitting nature of the illness, where you feel as though you’ve recovered, then it hits you back,” she said"

This used to be calld Yuppie flu didnt it Annie??
They couldnt find anything wrong with you but you were unable to
function due to excessive fatigue ?
A friend of mine was off work for over a year with this !
Maybe there is a link between yuppie flu and long corona??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 02:04 PM

One of the children who goes to school with my grandchildren had C19 in March along with the rest of his family .

He is 7 years old and has asthma, he has not recovered very well and can only manage to walk around for a couple of hours a day on good days.

I think some people will take a long time to become fully fit again.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

15-09-2020, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
One of the children who goes to school with my grandchildren had C19 in March along with the rest of his family .

He is 7 years old and has asthma, he has not recovered very well and can only manage to walk around for a couple of hours a day on good days.

I think some people will take a long time to become fully fit again.
Oh dear, that's really sad .....

A child that young won't really understand what's going on but his parents will be devastated .....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top