Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 03:15 AM

Vaccine Trial Stopped

One of the promising vaccine trials in the UK, the Oxford University vaccine, has been put on hold according to news reports today.

Late-stage trials for a leading coronavirus vaccine have been suspended after a study participant suffered a "potentially unexplained illness".

AstraZeneca has put on hold phase three trials of a vaccine being developed in collaboration with the University of Oxford.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-...eneca/12643812
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 10:33 AM

Re: Vaccine Trial Stopped

Since posting the news above some details have started to leak out about why the trial was halted at least temporarily

The health news website STAT reports that it was a serious adverse reaction of some sort, but that the patient is expected to recover.

Meanwhile, the New York Times quotes a source saying the patient had transverse myelitis, an inflammation of the spinal cord linked to abnormal immune responses.

That's plausible, according to Professor Terry Nolan from the University of Melbourne.

"Transverse myelitis is a disease of unknown cause, thought to be possibly auto-immune in nature," he says.

That places it on a likely watchlist of diseases to monitor when trialling any new vaccine.

Let's hope this turns out to be a minor set back because this is not what we want to hear.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/...lysis/12644626
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 03:25 PM

There have been pauses before, only this one for some reason has made the headlines. Pausing often happens during trials and this particular pause is not exceptional and was to be expected at some stage during the trail period.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 09:47 PM

I'm no expert on vaccines (obviously) but I always thought they just injected a dead version of the virus. Obviously there is more to it than I thought.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 10:45 PM

I did think there must be something wrong with the participant.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm no expert on vaccines (obviously) but I always thought they just injected a dead version of the virus. Obviously there is more to it than I thought.
Some are live but weakened so they cannot reproduce. This one works in a different way using a similar looking but pretty harmless virus to replicate genetic code :

https://www.research.ox.ac.uk/Articl...vid-19-vaccine
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
There have been pauses before, only this one for some reason has made the headlines. Pausing often happens during trials and this particular pause is not exceptional and was to be expected at some stage during the trail period.
Scaremongering! The trials have been restarted according to this: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...egulators.html
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

12-09-2020, 11:00 PM

Some good news:

Oxford University has announced it will resume a trial for a coronavirus vaccine it is developing with pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca after getting the green light from safety watchdogs.

The late-stage trials of the experimental vaccine were suspended last week following a reported side-effect in a UK patient.

In a statement, the university confirmed the restart across all of its UK clinical trial sites.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-...trial/12658984

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top