Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 02:49 PM

Re: Barnier Turns a Blind Eye to EU Destruction of Fish Stocks

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Argentina had no truck about sinking an illegal Chinese trawler in their waters .

https://news.yahoo.com/argentina-sin...210035916.html
And that I am afraid, is the only way to deal with piracy Muddy. It breaks my heart to see what is happening in British waters. EU fishermen have already decimated and destroyed fish stocks in the Med, now they are hell-bent on doing the same with ours, all with the blessing of the EU who are happy to break every rule in the book and turn a blind eye.

Scum!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Oops, apologies. looks like they don't include Readers Comments in the link. Pity, some of them are eye-opening.
They do SG, here's just the first one (timed at 19hrs ago)

"Mick Hookre: "THERE is a question I find myself continually asking ... Who has control of United kingdoms waters and her fishing grounds?"

We have. Didn't you know?

We left the eu in January. We allowed them to continue to fish as before, as was said in the arrangements we negotiated, which last until end December.

When December comes, we will arrange some other access for them, or no access at all.

After December, we will allow them access to catch whatever amount of whatever we arrange, or, again, no access at all.

It's not that difficult a concept. We are not in the wretched eu."
Percy Vere
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Argentina had no truck about sinking an illegal Chinese trawler in their waters .

https://news.yahoo.com/argentina-sin...210035916.html
I never thought I'd ever say this but ... Good on the Argies.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 02:58 PM

I see the little pretend Napoleon is getting his twopence worth in. He must be getting it in the neck over there. Someone should tell him - it's SOME fish or NO fish! or French fishermen can begin to make preparations to start making a living picking up illegals in the Channel. Go Boris!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...Michel-Barnier
Percy Vere

11-09-2020, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
You're talking out your arse.

No surprise there ....
You're spot on. If, as Solly says, these Supertrawlers are operating 1,500 miles out to sea, WTF are they being observed fishing in our conservation zones? Isn't this breaking maritime laws?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Tell me please Solly, what is your view on these ships of sheer destruction. I know your country use them, but what is your personal view? Are you in agreement that they should be here destroying stocks in banned areas? or do you agree they should be banned completely?
In areas set apart to let stocks recover, there should be no fishing. Take a look at the cod stocks in UK waters. Depleted totally by british fishermen, and then they turned to icelandic waters (where they got kicked out of). Only now, after more than 40 years, stocks are recovering.

I think those supertrawlers have added value in deeper waters, but should not be allowed to compete with coastal fishers.
But unlike green peace I don't think the channel should be a nature reserve. There is always a trade off between ecology and human activity. It is the responsibility of us all (not individual countries) to minimize the negative effects.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
You're talking out your arse.

No surprise there ....
Every time I see you have no response, I know I was right.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

11-09-2020, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
You're spot on. If, as Solly says, these Supertrawlers are operating 1,500 miles out to sea, WTF are they being observed fishing in our conservation zones? Isn't this breaking maritime laws?

None of the 25 supertrawlers that were active in UK waters in 2019 and spent time fishing in 39 UK MPAs are UK owned, but all were operating legally.
https://www.oceanographicmagazine.co...-uk-mpas-2019/

The 39 MPAs affected by supertrawlers in 2019 are all in offshore waters (beyond 12nm from the coast). They protect important marine ecosystems and species, including porpoises and reefs. One of the areas most heavily fished in by supertrawlers in 2019 was the*Southern North Sea, which was created to safeguard porpoises.They are particularly threatened by supertrawlers – 1,105 porpoises died in fishing nets in 2019.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
[/B]

None of the 25 supertrawlers that were active in UK waters in 2019 and spent time fishing in 39 UK MPAs are UK owned, but all were operating legally.
https://www.oceanographicmagazine.co...-uk-mpas-2019/

Isn't the CFP wonderful to allow countries like yours to destroy natural habitats and devastate fisheries so you can make a profit out of someone else's natural resource you get for free.

You've got about 3 and a half months before you start cutting up your boats and selling them for salvage.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 03:16 PM

Barmy seems intent on shooting himself in the foot.

By stating publicly that he supports this activity, he is turning responsible people all over the world against him and his little empire.

By coincidence, we have just obtained a FTA with Japan; the EU are apparently still struggling.

I wonder how successful they will be in making other agreements throughout the world, now everyone knows his attitude to destroying marine life everywhere.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top