Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
digital granma
Co. Durham, England
digital granma is female  digital granma has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 02:22 PM

Re: My New Ereader

What does 'a crippled android tablet' mean when referring to the Kindle?I have a KIndle e reader and a Kindle tablet and they are excellent. I wouldn't go past Kindle for devices and books.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 02:30 PM

Looks nice but love my kindle, I get so many free books from amazon and some very cheaply I will never have time to read them all I am sure.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by digital granma ->
What does 'a crippled android tablet' mean when referring to the Kindle?I have a KIndle e reader and a Kindle tablet and they are excellent. I wouldn't go past Kindle for devices and books.
Android is the operating system provided by Google it is open source so anybody can use and modify it. It runs phones, tablets, MP3 players and many other devices.

A Kindle is just an android tablet with all features removed that allow the user access to anything that is not Amazon.

If you find the Kindle excellent then think how wonderful an Android tablet would be with all those features but a hell of a lot more as well. Owning a Kindle is like having a phone that can only dial specific numbers. I can't see the point but having said their marketing has been very successful and they seem to have captured the majority of the market, certainly in the UK.

With my ereader (or my Android tablet) I can buy ebooks from Amazon but also from any book company in the world or just borrow books from my local library. The choice is mine not Amazon's.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 09:52 AM

IMO android tablets are not a patch on kindles, kids bought me one so I had a bigger screen, could do more and had a back light so didn't need a separate light source middle of the night. It languishes at the back of a drawer because it was fairly useless for everything but reading a book and even that with the back light gave me headaches.

Amazon has millions of books I will never run out of reading material in my lifetime.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
IMO android tablets are not a patch on kindles, kids bought me one so I had a bigger screen, c
I agree that a tablet of any description is not a patch on an ereader for reading a book because of the backlit, shiny screen which, in my opinion, causes eye strain. They are designed for different purposes which is why I have both.

However that doesn't change the fact that the operating system in a Kindle is a crippled Android hence any Android tablet can do what a Kindle does and a lot more beside.

Just as a simple example your Kindle cannot legally get the the works of George Orwell for free but my Sony can.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

06-12-2014, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I agree that a tablet of any description is not a patch on an ereader for reading a book because of the backlit, shiny screen which, in my opinion, causes eye strain. They are designed for different purposes which is why I have both.

However that doesn't change the fact that the operating system in a Kindle is a crippled Android.
Well it suits this crippled reader well
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 11:22 AM

I've got a hudl which is android and windows 8 - I've downloaded the kindle app onto it as then I can put the gorgeous art books onto the tv. But for plain simple reading on the train and in bed I have the bogstandard first kindle. I regret that Amazon has cornered the market in cheap books but they have, the 99p daily deals and the monthly deals are awesome, and I love the first kindle as it's so light and handy.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 09:03 PM

Android is the operating system provided by Google it is open source so anybody can use and modify it. It runs phones, tablets, MP3 players and many other devices.

A Kindle is just an android tablet with all features removed that allow the user access to anything that is not Amazon.

If you find the Kindle excellent then think how wonderful an Android tablet would be with all those features but a hell of a lot more as well. Owning a Kindle is like having a phone that can only dial specific numbers. I can't see the point but having said their marketing has been very successful and they seem to have captured the majority of the market, certainly in the UK.

With my ereader (or my Android tablet) I can buy ebooks from Amazon but also from any book company in the world or just borrow books from my local library. The choice is mine not Amazon's.

Re your last paragraph...I have a Kindle (and downloaded the books onto my new tablet), but forgot that now I have an Android I can access more books from my library, that doesn't support the Kindle platform.

Yay!
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 09:27 PM

Just as a simple example your Kindle cannot legally get the the works of George Orwell for free but my Sony can.

That's interesting how does that work - I thought he was still in copyright in the UK so how could we do it?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

09-12-2014, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Re your last paragraph...I have a Kindle (and downloaded the books onto my new tablet), but forgot that now I have an Android I can access more books from my library, that doesn't support the Kindle platform.

Yay!
I let you into a little secret - One Word 'CALIBRE'. Even solves the problem of Amazon's attempted monopoly on your machine. As well as managing your ereader/Kindle. Calibre will also convert from one format to any other. One warning don't run the software associated with your machine on your desktop while using Calibre (they both need access to the ereader's database and both accessing it at once could stuff it up; for obvious reasons.)

Originally Posted by Roseredlee ->
That's interesting how does that work - I thought he was still in copyright in the UK so how could we do it?
He is not in copyright in Australia Click/look here

Another Freebie you poor Kindle users might like is:

http://epubee.com/kindle-drm-removal.html

There you go; freed from your chains in two easy steps.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top