Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2016, 08:26 PM

Amazon Firestick

Ive been looking at the Amazon Firestick to buy for christmas...but what Id like to know is does anyone here have one?
If you do what do you think of it and what are the costs after ive bought one.?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2016, 08:41 PM

Re: Amazon Firestick

I bought one a month back (roughly), so I could watch the old Top Gear blokes on Amazon Prime. Just before their new series started, the membership was reduced down to something over £50...from £79. Probably down to £59, can't remember.

I don't think you need AP, as there's Netflix, but that is also a subscription service. I downloaded some apps, that give the usual catch up channels, but also entertainment ones, like a log fire, an aquarium, a webcam of somewhere round the world. And Youtube, I think.

What you have to be careful of is your internet data allowance. All downloads are through the wifi. My Firestick connected without any bother.

Some, or most films, cost money, as do boxsets, and tv programmes. I have Catchup and boxsets on Sky, which won't cost me extra, but I am aware of data usage, so don't do it too much.

With the Grand Tour (Hammond, Clarkson and May), I discovered it's possible to wait until all episodes in the series have become available, then to do the trial period on Prime. Then the user can watch every one for free, if they want to cancel after the month! Wish I'd known that before, lol. But as I didn't pay full price first time round, am not overly bothered.

Whether you get one or not depends on your tv requirements. You can get Netflix on your PC, as you can A. prime. It just looks better on the tv.

You can connect it to any tv, so if on holiday with wifi available, it can be used anywhere. I swapped it from bedroom telly to the one in the lounge, again no problem.

Hope this helps.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2016, 08:48 PM

Thanks jazzi for the info ....Im only toying with the idea atm but dont want something thats going to accrue costs along the way after the initial payment...
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2016, 08:52 PM

Do you not have any other tv service, apart from Freeview? Cable, or satellite, or the one from BT?

If you want catch up programmes, you can do them online on your computer, so you have to think of how much you want.

Me? I love my telly.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

11-12-2016, 09:26 PM

I only have freeview atm Jazzi ...its not like I watch tv all that much so am not really fussed tbh ...Id sooner be reading a book
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2016, 09:38 PM

Presuming you have an internet connection with wi fi and can follow simple instructions, it might be worth installing Kodi on your firestick.
It is a free app that gives a wide range of TV Film free. A little bit of research and joining the Facebook group might save you loadsa money.
I will be having a go at it over Christmas.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

11-12-2016, 09:56 PM

Hi Bruv thankyou for that info ...thats interesting ..I shall have to give it some thought
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 12:40 AM

I've also considered AP and the other services but the story seems pretty much the same with each.

There's a platform of "free stuff" that most people work through and once you've exhausted that you're going to be paying for content, unless you ditch the service at that point.

As with Sky, (which I have never had nor ever will), it amazes me that people will enter into subscriptions for services that can (and are) changed at will by the supplier. You wouldn't stand for that in any other purchase situation so why do people do it with TV?

For example, your favourite TV show might currently be included free in the basic Sky package so you sign up to say £40 per month so you can primarily watch that and any other stuff. A month later Mr Murdock decides he's going to move that TV programme from say Sky One (which is in your package) to Sky Atlantis (which perhaps isn't) and suddenly the thing you thought you were paying for is no longer available and you have to then PAY MORE to get it.

That's the principle I object to. The ability of any provider to mess about with the content and make you pay more AFTER you've signed up.

Amazon Prime will surely go the same way. Haven't looked properly but presumably Jezzer and the Top Gear team (The Grand Tour) are currently free/included in the basic package. This will be the key selling content this Christmas.

I can confidently predict/bet that at some point in the future The Grand Tour will switch to being a payable show.

This is why I don't pay for any TV. I take Freeview and live with it.

Anything else I want, I buy box sets of DVDs when they are dirt cheap and then binge watch them which I much prefer to watching live and having to wait week on week for the next episode. Each to their own of course.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Ive been looking at the Amazon Firestick to buy for christmas...but what Id like to know is does anyone here have one?
If you do what do you think of it and what are the costs after ive bought one.?
Never bothered, I use a box of matches or a disposable lighter
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

12-12-2016, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Never bothered, I use a box of matches or a disposable lighter

LOL thanks for that Bruce!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top