Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 12:09 AM

Any Electricians here?

The plug on my portable heater is getting very hot if left on for more than an hour. I thought it might be the old extension lead I was using so I bought a new one, but it's still getting hot. Checked the plug & that seems fine, fuse OK too.
The heater is a Delonghi TCH8093ER. Had it about two years now.
Hope someone can tell me if I need to do anything, or is it OK to leave it? I don't remember other plugs getting hot like this.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 12:18 AM

Re: Any Electricians here?

Can you see a plate on the heater that says the Kw?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 12:25 AM

2400 Watt heater, not a good idea to plug any heater into an extension lead, plug it direct to a socket.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
2400 Watt heater, not a good idea to plug any heater into an extension lead, plug it direct to a socket.
Should be ok if the extension is fully unwound - that's the mistake people make. Although as you say, it's better plugged in direct.
2.4kw can and will make the plug top warm.
Loose connections will make it hotter as well, as you get an increase in resistance.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 12:57 AM

It could be the socket it's plugged into, they wear out over time as the contacts that grip the plug top become less springy.

Try plugging the heater into another socket to see if the problem persists.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I can't reach the socket, have to use the extension lead, which is a new one.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

25-01-2017, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
It could be the socket it's plugged into, they wear out over time as the contacts that grip the plug top become less springy.

Try plugging the heater into another socket to see if the problem persists.
I plugged it into the one by the door in the bed room & it still got warm there.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

25-01-2017, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Should be ok if the extension is fully unwound - that's the mistake people make. Although as you say, it's better plugged in direct.
2.4kw can and will make the plug top warm.
Loose connections will make it hotter as well, as you get an increase in resistance.
Checked the connections they are tight.

Thanks for all your replies Guys.
Maybe I should just scrap the heater & buy another one.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

25-01-2017, 01:30 AM

Has the plug top always got hot Tiff, or is it something you've just noticed?
An extension is fine if it's fully unwound.
Also, is it "warm" or "hot" - bit of a difference.

It will be drawing around 10a, so that will make the plug top warm anyway.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 08:42 AM

Tiff We had this happen to us some 40 year ago , ,could smell a awful fishy smell and then saw where it was coming from, the plug was going black it was burning out . the smell was the casing of the plug burning.
So look out for that smell .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top