Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 02:35 PM

Re: Microsoft Issues Windows 10 May 2020 Update Warning

Originally Posted by mart ->
Recommended or not, all Windows computers in the house are updated now, including the Surface Pro tablet. This went OK too.
Excellent .....

Another issue has been resolved:

Print spooler might error or close unexpectedly when attempting to print.

Certain printers might be unable to print after taking updates released June 9, 2020.

Resolved KB4567523 June 18, 2020 10:00 AM PT
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2020, 04:56 PM

After a Cumulative Update on my (older) laptop, Release 2004 became available so I let it rip - it took about two hours to download and install but no problems encountered.

Since 2004 is still "unavailable" on my (younger) desktop I'll check out the laptop while I'm waiting .....

Windows 10 version 2004 is here - here's what you need to know about it

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-...know-about-it/
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2020, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
After a Cumulative Update on my (older) laptop, Release 2004 became available so I let it rip - it took about two hours to download and install but no problems encountered.

Since 2004 is still "unavailable" on my (younger) desktop I'll check out the laptop while I'm waiting .....

Windows 10 version 2004 is here - here's what you need to know about it

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-...know-about-it/
Improvements in Notepad are mentioned in the article but it's still lacking one feature I've always thought it should have. This is a spell checker. I write a lot in plain text, so the lack of a spell checker means I still won't be using Notepad.

I'll keep using Jarte Plus. This has Word Processor functionality but it can be set up in plain text mode and to open .txt files by default. After trying many Notepad replacements, Jarte Plus is the best one in my opinion,

There's always the Update Assistant to initiate the 2004 update on those computers where is isn't offered. Not recommended generally but forcing the update hasn't done harm to the two computers I've used it on.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

21-06-2020, 01:22 AM

Improvements in Notepad are mentioned in the article but it's still lacking one feature I've always thought it should have. This is a spell checker. I write a lot in plain text, so the lack of a spell checker means I still won't be using Notepad.

I'll keep using Jarte Plus. This has Word Processor functionality but it can be set up in plain text mode and to open .txt files by default. After trying many Notepad replacements, Jarte Plus is the best one in my opinion,
I suppose that if Notepad got too complicated then it wouldn't be Notepad - it would be Wordpad .....

There's always the Update Assistant to initiate the 2004 update on those computers where is isn't offered. Not recommended generally but forcing the update hasn't done harm to the two computers I've used it on.
There's no rush for me .....

With the new Windows Search (allegedly) using fewer system resources I'm going to give File History another go.

As part of that exercise, I restarted Windows Search indexing but disabled content indexation - this latter process, performed on Drive C, is intended to speed up Windows Search but itself took 105 minutes to complete (including a run through windows.old which alone took 75 minutes ..... !)

There's an extended review of the new features here:

https://pureinfotech.com/windows-10-2004-new-features/

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 01:28 AM

If you want an excellent text editor replacement for Notepad you can't go past Notebook++, it is free and open source.

It also highlights keywords in Basic, VBA,C, python and most programming languages, it also supports plug ins and uses tabs so several files can be edited at once.

Personally it is one of my "essential" programs.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 01:47 AM

To replace Windows Notepad with Notepad++ I followed the following instructions:

You may want to use Notepad++ instead of Notepad as the default text editor. From the version 7.5.9 onward, you can run the following command to make Notepad++ replace Notepad (run in cmd.exe with Administrator privileges):

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\notepad.exe" /v "Debugger" /t REG_SZ /d "\"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Notepad++\notepad++.exe \" -notepadStyleCmdline -z" /f

Note that you may need to use %ProgramFiles%\Notepad++\ to substitute for %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Notepad++\ if you have Notepad++ 64-bit installed, or use other path if your Notepad++ is installed in a non-default location.

https://npp-user-manual.org/docs/oth...ad-cheat-sheet
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 03:33 PM

I have tried that and lots of other text editors Bruce but all I need is a simple text editor. I know Notepad ++ can be made to do that but I still always come back to Jarte as the default text editor.

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

24-06-2020, 01:44 PM

After running my laptop on 2004 for a few days without problems, I decided to update my desktop - the process took about the same time and, again, there were no problems.

Since I rarely use my laptop, I'm going to restart File History on my desktop in order to monitor performance, so, again, I had to restart Windows Search indexing and disable content indexation - this latter process, performed on Drive C, took 75 minutes to complete (including a run through windows.old which alone took 45 minutes ..... !)

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top