Join for free
Page 1655 of 1676 « First < 655 1155 1555 1605 1645 1653 1654 1655 1656 1657 1665 > Last »
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 09:04 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I've mostly been a townie or a villager, but generally lived close enough to bumkinville so I could get there within minutes.

I can certainly pass for one, Ooh arr!
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

08-05-2021, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I was Bumpkinised before the manifest was written, how can that be?
natural selection I would say?
bret
bret is male 

08-05-2021, 11:00 AM

ah lot of transitioning goin on 'ere that would explain the bloody confusion - from urban [is that keith?] to transitioning [ to say outer urban sprawl shall we say then more transitioning to simple village idiot life heh [marker 4] and then onto more transitioning to "out in the scrub or sticks" or as the aussies would say - "in the scrub" or "outback" and station hand?

- back in the very very old days of the aussie take over from the natural inhabitants they used to give plots of land to people so that they could transition from old towns and these were called "settlers blocks" - or in other words stolen pierces of land in which you could easily get speared and deaded! it was a lonely existence and could be hundreds of miles from the nearest small town and often immortalized in the poetry of Henry Lawson or Banjo Patterson. Lawson was considered to be the pithier of the two and reminiscent of Hemmingway.

I would certainly recommend a read of both - these were the guys that immortalized the mateship of early oz and bush life rather than city life - evern though they often lived in cities - Henry became a confirmed alcoholic dying of its ravages!

Oh dear said Alice I seem to have fallen down the wrong hole and don't know which direction is urbanite or ruralite? never mind wasn't that a grand adventure sad the Mad hatter!

but the serious debate is how these phenomena take place and why and is it really not all that absurd after all? and it all started off with me watching Escape to the Country!

for the discerning reader https://www.poemhunter.com/i/ebooks/...son_2012_6.pdf
bret
bret is male 

08-05-2021, 10:39 PM

so there you have it as far as oz goes - two townies immortalizing the ozzie bush and the people in it - mind you I don't think they wrote many poems about the real Indigenous ones?? But the ozzie bushman and woman were considered the pioneers of the new australia and it is good that we immortalize them in poem - who hasn't heard of "The Man from Snowy River'? everybody put their hands down now please - thank you jeez wizz! talk about dingobats?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 02:15 AM

Ah yes, Clancy on his horse. I know it.

We played, I am Australian, writ by The Seekers, and sung by Mirusia Louwerse at R Mar's funeral two years ago. Despite it's sad memories, it is still one of my favourite songs.
bret
bret is male 

09-05-2021, 02:24 AM

there are still some interesting and contentious discussions about who REALLY is Australian these days as no doubt there are about who really is a great brit?? did RMar consider themselves Australian and /or British?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

09-05-2021, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by bret ->
there are still some interesting and contentious discussions about who REALLY is Australian these days as no doubt there are about who really is a great brit?? did RMar consider themselves Australian and /or British?
She considered herself an Ozzie. She was born and bred there and had an Australian passport. Somewhere I have her UK right of residency letter from the Government.
If my brother and I were watching cricket, irrespective of whether England were playing Australia or another country, she would call out, Up the Ozzies as she walked through.

When she first went to school over here, she spoke Strine. The teachers made her learn to speak the Queen's English and she lost her accent as a result. Shame.
bret
bret is male 

09-05-2021, 09:20 AM

As you may already know the right of dual citizenship for aussies and brits is practiced?

there are many bilingual students living and studying in oz these days and they usually do not speak strine but are now of course picking up this querky slang [a new strine indeed] which all school kids use out of ear shot of their teachers and parents!!

where is the good old english language going too these days wot is lork I'ze do speak?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 10:03 PM

I have to say it gladdens me heart to see you all merrily scribbling away, it just proves that there’s always something to talk about.

I can recall a wet Sunday afternoon in the pub when five of us old geezers spent a most interesting session talking about bucket handles of all things!

It all started when Charlie McGee complained about the handle on his metal bucket snapping off while he was carrying it half full of cement over to a shed he was working on, what a mess it caused, and it went from there to Handel’s Messiah when someone stated that Handel’s nickname in school was “Bucket”, just as Poirot’s assistant Captain Hastings nickname was “Battler” as in battle of Hastings.

“That can happen with metal Charlie” says Joe Carey “Metal fatigue it’s called”

“There’s no such thing as metal fatigue Carey” says McGee “Just bad metal”

Then it went into an argument over the benefits of metal buckets over plastic one’s, McGee got all heated up saying the metals they use in todays buckets are useless, and he had to be reminded of his blood pressure problem to calm him down, could have easily ended up in buckets of blood had not the Innkeeper intervened threatening bardom.

Most enjoyable all the same, livened up a dull wet Sunday afternoon, and all over a bucket handle, so the next time you handle a bucket handle, don’t just think of it as a bucket handle, think of it as a conversation piece, sure there’s nothing as boring as a wet Sunday afternoon in these Isles.

Mooclear power.

I remember during the foot and mouth outbreak when the hills were alive with the sound of moo sick.

Then there were the rich folks jumping the queue for liver transplants when they first started doing them, there we loud cries of “Liver fluke” from the public, what a time that was, and young girls taking pills to stop them having rabies, oh the joys of youthful innocence!

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I have to say it gladdens me heart to see you all merrily scribbling away, it just proves that there’s always something to talk about.

I can recall a wet Sunday afternoon in the pub when five of us old geezers spent a most interesting session talking about bucket handles of all things!

It all started when Charlie McGee complained about the handle on his metal bucket snapping off while he was carrying it half full of cement over to a shed he was working on, what a mess it caused, and it went from there to Handel’s Messiah when someone stated that Handel’s nickname in school was “Bucket”, just as Poirot’s assistant Captain Hastings nickname was “Battler” as in battle of Hastings.

“That can happen with metal Charlie” says Joe Carey “Metal fatigue it’s called”

“There’s no such thing as metal fatigue Carey” says McGee “Just bad metal”

Then it went into an argument over the benefits of metal buckets over plastic one’s, McGee got all heated up saying the metals they use in todays buckets are useless, and he had to be reminded of his blood pressure problem to calm him down, could have easily ended up in buckets of blood had not the Innkeeper intervened threatening bardom.

Most enjoyable all the same, livened up a dull wet Sunday afternoon, and all over a bucket handle, so the next time you handle a bucket handle, don’t just think of it as a bucket handle, think of it as a conversation piece, sure there’s nothing as boring as a wet Sunday afternoon in these Isles.

Mooclear power.

I remember during the foot and mouth outbreak when the hills were alive with the sound of moo sick.

Then there were the rich folks jumping the queue for liver transplants when they first started doing them, there we loud cries of “Liver fluke” from the public, what a time that was, and young girls taking pills to stop them having rabies, oh the joys of youthful innocence!

What happened to the Roof, a Pub without a Slate?

Page 1655 of 1676 « First < 655 1155 1555 1605 1645 1653 1654 1655 1656 1657 1665 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top