Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 10:17 AM

Re: Warming the oven?

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It will probably surprise you to know that I am an absolute stickler when it comes to temperature and cooking times for my food...I have a thermometer placed in the oven and nothing goes in there until is up to the required temperature.
I would much rather have my food slightly overcooked than having bad guts from eating food that is undercooked. And if those who don't pre-heat their ovens give their food five minutes extra to allow, where are they saving?..

I cook all my hot food in a gas oven, I have never, ever, owned a microwave and never will... In my opinion it's a lazy way of cooking just to save time. It can be compared to those people who remove their shoes without undoing the laces...Very Slovenly!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 10:36 AM

I almost always use my mini oven, but still pre warm it. It has no indicator, so I just put the back of my hand against the glass door and decide when to put food in. Even the micro combo suggests pre warming. Very rarely use the new cooker, with its two ovens.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 10:45 AM

I can only surmise that those not preheating ovens do not bake.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

Love it Longy, where do you find all these little critters...
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 11:01 AM

I mostly use a combi oven and always wait until the correct temperature is reached before putting the food in.

I don't know if other combi ovens are the same but our goes all out on full heat for a while to get it up to temperature more quickly. Only when it reaches the required temperature does that ease off.

If food is put in while this full heat procedure is going on, it can result in smaller items of food getting burnt.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I mostly use a combi oven and always wait until the correct temperature is reached before putting the food in.

I don't know if other combi ovens are the same but ours goes all out on full heat for a while to get it up to temperature more quickly. Only when it reaches the required temperature does that ease off.

If food is put in while this full heat procedure is going on, it can result in smaller items of food getting burnt.
Our gas oven does that Mart, so it only takes a few minutes to get up to temperature. You could see the gas turn down on the old oven, but I can't see it on our new oven so I've got a thermometer clipped to the top shelf. Mrs Fox says I'm just being pedantic, but she never complains when her Salmon comes out succulent and tender......
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 11:21 AM

There are certain things, like a fillet of Aberdeen Angus (having done that in years), that need doing properly .... sear it in a handleless frying pan on the hob then straight into a hot oven.

But normally I just switch on oven a few minutes in advance: don't bother with checking how hot it is.

I never clean my face with anything other than warm water. As a moisturiser, I use Bio-Oil, never cream as it dries & flakes.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I can only surmise that those not preheating ovens do not bake.
I do bake and it always turns out perfect. In fact not warming the oven hasn't made any difference all these years to my culinary output nor has it led to upset tummies. I wonder how much it has saved on bills.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
There are certain things, like a fillet of Aberdeen Angus (having done that in years), that need doing properly .... sear it in a handleless frying pan on the hob then straight into a hot oven.

But normally I just switch on oven a few minutes in advance: don't bother with checking how hot it is.

I never clean my face with anything other than warm water. As a moisturiser, I use Bio-Oil, never cream as it dries & flakes.

Steak in the oven? Not tried that before. How long should it be in for?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-07-2021, 04:08 PM

I do like bio oil Dood. But I never wash my face just cleanse with neals yard calendula cleanser. It's really good for sensitive skin.

Every girl's magazine would tell you to take make up off at night or the world would end. I'm sure its actually better for the skin to let the natural oils take over. Plus of course if you slap it on like LD then its a different matter. But if you wear just the minimum its likely better to wait until morning. Visions of carry on films of ladies covered in cold cream put me off. Plus I don't have wrinkles or blocked pores so its all a swindle.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top