Join for free
Reply
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Bread's Avatar
Bread
Chatterbox
Bread is offline
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 8,374
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-11-2020, 02:39 PM
11

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

Scotland has the biggest budget deficit in the EU - it doesn't qualify for ascension so I would like to hear from the IndyRef supporters how they plan to do this. The last thing the EU needs is another net beneficiary of free money from Germany or a share of the pot that goes to Spain and Poland.

Croatia took about 30 years....
Reply With Quote
Tedc's Avatar
Tedc
Senior Member
Tedc is offline
Berkshire, UK
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,365
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-11-2020, 03:09 PM
12

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Scotland has the biggest budget deficit in the EU - it doesn't qualify for ascension so I would like to hear from the IndyRef supporters how they plan to do this. The last thing the EU needs is another net beneficiary of free money from Germany or a share of the pot that goes to Spain and Poland.

Croatia took about 30 years....
I don't know why, but I don't think that the EU would miss the opportunity to give us a kicking by taking over Scotland.

Yes, I know that many will say that the EU loves the UK and is doing it's best to help us become free.

Reply With Quote
shropshiregirl's Avatar
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
shropshiregirl is offline
Shropshire
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,815
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-11-2020, 03:32 PM
13

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

In response to weedeek's post above


Hi weedeek, Thankyou, I hope this finds you well also.

To start, please let me assure you there is no dislike of Scottish people on my part. Truth be told, I have as many relatives born and bred in Dumfries as I have all over Eire, (and I lost count of them after 72) lol. But if you look at any of my posts regarding Eire and Brexit, and that idiot Varadkar, you will see that I hold no loyalty or favour to my parents birthplace either!
.
In response to your post, I can only give my own personal opinion of Nicola and the SNP as an English woman, (mongrell though I may be).and it is not flattering.

I seem to hear nothing but a lot of anti-English sentiment coming out of Scotland which is not appreciated. All I hear from the SNP are basically two things - 1. Everything is worse for the Scottish and 2. Everything is the fault of the English!. So you cannot blame the English if our attitude tends to be ‘if you dislike us that much, then p*ss off and stop your constant whinging’. (please do excuse the above crass expression).but that truly is the normal response.

English people don’t really care one way or the other. We see Scotland as one of the most beautiful parts of the UK with marvellous roads, crap weather and flippin midges!
However, one cannot help the resentment that has built up south of your border - that the Scottish get more money per head than us, enjoy lots of benefits such as free prescriptions, university education and care for your elderly, benefits for which we have to pay for.
Many English also think that we subsidise the Scottish through our taxes so you can enjoy a better life than us gullible English. I would place a wager that the above are reasons that many English if also given a chance to vote in a Scottish Independence vote, would vote to kick the ungrateful Scottish out!.
Of course, whether the above is correct or not, many English believe it is so

Believe it or not, there are also many English people who share empathy with your belief that, Westminster is too far from Scotland to rule you fairly, but I’m sure people living in Yorkshire, Sunderland.Birmingham, Plymouth, etc share the same feeling, but what most of us cannot understand is the Scottish wishing their freedom and independence from England, your largest trading partner, then want to then hand that freedom to the EU???
We Brexit supporters have been trying for four and half years to free ourselves from the corrupt tentacles of the EU, but what I can never get out of my head - if it is this bad for us - how in the name of the good Lord is Scotland going to cope if you ever gain your independence? What will you do when we pull out all of our Naval bases and put them in say Southampton or Plymouth? Where do you place all those thousands of lost jobs?
I Just cannot take that in. and that is just one part of your economy..

I digress, I said a lot of English people dislike (fairly or unfairly) people such as Nicola, that broken record, Ian Blackford, and the SNP,, in fact, anyone who use their hatred of the English as an excuse to blame us for all Scottish woes that have in our eyes, been .brought upon yourselves by the totally inept ruling by the SNP.

The thing I personally would say to the Scottish? The ordinary person living in Scotland has the same influence on Westminster as an ordinary person living in England. However…
If our children wish to go to University, it will cost them £27,000, a Scottish person? Nothing! An elderly person living in a care home in England? £1,000 per week, many having to sell their home to pay for it, a Scottish person? Nothing! So with your other benefits which I mentioned above, this unfairness makes a Scottish person tens of thousands of pounds better off, yet having the same influence on Westminster as the English. Perhaps this is one of the many reasons you may understand, why the English see you as whinging Scots being hard done by, and why we grit our teeth and think - You have some ruddy nerve - try living in England!

Hope the above hasn’t offended you Weedeek, It’s not meant to honestly, It’s just an explanation of how I, and no doubt many English people feel when we have to listen to wee Nicola and her cohorts whinging all the time about how you are treated by the English, how they demand freedom, yet forever holding their hand out for more cash at the same time.

Peace !! Stay safe.
Reply With Quote
weedeek
Senior Member
weedeek is offline
Dumfries, Scotland
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 355
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-11-2020, 04:02 PM
14

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
There is one thing that puzzles me weedeek. In one sentence you are seeking independence and self determination from the rest of the UK and in another you want to sign it all away to the EU. Doesn't seem to make sense to me. The rest of the UK is our biggest market at 60% The EU 18% and the rest of the world 22%
The point is every electoral district in Scotland voted remain, including (obviously) Dumfriesshire which is a Tory seat. However, it is a fait accompli anyway as Scotland (against its will) along with the UK as a whole will be out of the EU by the time any independent Scotland could come about. There would have to be a referendum (oh nooo!!!) on the issue in a new Scotland to decide if we want to join the EU or not and take it from there. I don't hold with the argument about signing away independence by being members of the EU. Are the Germans any less German? Are the French any less French? I don't think so. Nothing wrong with independent nations working together in a global world.
Reply With Quote
weedeek
Senior Member
weedeek is offline
Dumfries, Scotland
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 355
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-11-2020, 04:09 PM
15

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
In response to weedeek's post above


Hi weedeek, Thankyou, I hope this finds you well also.

To start, please let me assure you there is no dislike of Scottish people on my part. Truth be told, I have as many relatives born and bred in Dumfries as I have all over Eire, (and I lost count of them after 72) lol. But if you look at any of my posts regarding Eire and Brexit, and that idiot Varadkar, you will see that I hold no loyalty or favour to my parents birthplace either!
.
In response to your post, I can only give my own personal opinion of Nicola and the SNP as an English woman, (mongrell though I may be).and it is not flattering.

I seem to hear nothing but a lot of anti-English sentiment coming out of Scotland which is not appreciated. All I hear from the SNP are basically two things - 1. Everything is worse for the Scottish and 2. Everything is the fault of the English!. So you cannot blame the English if our attitude tends to be ‘if you dislike us that much, then p*ss off and stop your constant whinging’. (please do excuse the above crass expression).but that truly is the normal response.

English people don’t really care one way or the other. We see Scotland as one of the most beautiful parts of the UK with marvellous roads, crap weather and flippin midges!
However, one cannot help the resentment that has built up south of your border - that the Scottish get more money per head than us, enjoy lots of benefits such as free prescriptions, university education and care for your elderly, benefits for which we have to pay for.
Many English also think that we subsidise the Scottish through our taxes so you can enjoy a better life than us gullible English. I would place a wager that the above are reasons that many English if also given a chance to vote in a Scottish Independence vote, would vote to kick the ungrateful Scottish out!.
Of course, whether the above is correct or not, many English believe it is so

Believe it or not, there are also many English people who share empathy with your belief that, Westminster is too far from Scotland to rule you fairly, but I’m sure people living in Yorkshire, Sunderland.Birmingham, Plymouth, etc share the same feeling, but what most of us cannot understand is the Scottish wishing their freedom and independence from England, your largest trading partner, then want to then hand that freedom to the EU???
We Brexit supporters have been trying for four and half years to free ourselves from the corrupt tentacles of the EU, but what I can never get out of my head - if it is this bad for us - how in the name of the good Lord is Scotland going to cope if you ever gain your independence? What will you do when we pull out all of our Naval bases and put them in say Southampton or Plymouth? Where do you place all those thousands of lost jobs?
I Just cannot take that in. and that is just one part of your economy..

I digress, I said a lot of English people dislike (fairly or unfairly) people such as Nicola, that broken record, Ian Blackford, and the SNP,, in fact, anyone who use their hatred of the English as an excuse to blame us for all Scottish woes that have in our eyes, been .brought upon yourselves by the totally inept ruling by the SNP.

The thing I personally would say to the Scottish? The ordinary person living in Scotland has the same influence on Westminster as an ordinary person living in England. However…
If our children wish to go to University, it will cost them £27,000, a Scottish person? Nothing! An elderly person living in a care home in England? £1,000 per week, many having to sell their home to pay for it, a Scottish person? Nothing! So with your other benefits which I mentioned above, this unfairness makes a Scottish person tens of thousands of pounds better off, yet having the same influence on Westminster as the English. Perhaps this is one of the many reasons you may understand, why the English see you as whinging Scots being hard done by, and why we grit our teeth and think - You have some ruddy nerve - try living in England!

Hope the above hasn’t offended you Weedeek, It’s not meant to honestly, It’s just an explanation of how I, and no doubt many English people feel when we have to listen to wee Nicola and her cohorts whinging all the time about how you are treated by the English, how they demand freedom, yet forever holding their hand out for more cash at the same time.

Peace !! Stay safe.
Jings! hope you feel better after that. No offence taken, we've covered all that before, I seem to remember, so won't launch into another round of the same old... I haven't changed my mind and , obviously, neither have you. Fair enough.
I would say though, if the above is what folks in England think, then it shows just how politically apart Scotland and England have become and adds weight to the separation argument. I'm sure any separation could be amicable if there is a will, it is a small island after all.
All the best.
Reply With Quote
Amac
Member
Amac is online now
North East of Scotland
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 27
Amac is male  Amac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-11-2020, 04:10 PM
16

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

It’s ironic that Boris Johnson should describe Scottish Devolution as a disaster since the disaster has been visited almost entirely on the Labour Party. In the 1997 general election, the last before devolution, Labour returned 56 Scottish MPs and the Conservatives 0. In 2017 Labour returned 7 Scottish MPs
and the Conservatives 13 - a turnaround of +62 in the Conservatives favour. This was attributed mainly to the leadership of Ruth Davidson in the Scottish Parliament not to the Scottish Secretary, David Mundell at Westminster. No wonder Scottish Tories are fuming at the careless words of their UK leader.
Reply With Quote
The Artful Todger's Avatar
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
The Artful Todger is offline
Suffolk UK
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 8,579
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-11-2020, 05:45 PM
17

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

For as long as Scotland is sucking of England's tax payers teat the Scottish people should be grateful that we tolerate it.

Because if we cut them loose, which I dearly wish that we would, then they simply could not survive in today's world.
Reply With Quote
Bread's Avatar
Bread
Chatterbox
Bread is offline
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 8,374
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-11-2020, 06:07 PM
18

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

Originally Posted by Amac ->
It’s ironic that Boris Johnson should describe Scottish Devolution as a disaster since the disaster has been visited almost entirely on the Labour Party. In the 1997 general election, the last before devolution, Labour returned 56 Scottish MPs and the Conservatives 0. In 2017 Labour returned 7 Scottish MPs
and the Conservatives 13 - a turnaround of +62 in the Conservatives favour. This was attributed mainly to the leadership of Ruth Davidson in the Scottish Parliament not to the Scottish Secretary, David Mundell at Westminster. No wonder Scottish Tories are fuming at the careless words of their UK leader.
Boris should have finished his sentence and said its also a disaster in Wales and London.
Reply With Quote
weedeek
Senior Member
weedeek is offline
Dumfries, Scotland
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 355
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-11-2020, 06:24 PM
19

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
For as long as Scotland is sucking of England's tax payers teat the Scottish people should be grateful that we tolerate it.

Because if we cut them loose, which I dearly wish that we would, then they simply could not survive in today's world.
An interesting take and so well argued! Well done.
Reply With Quote
The Artful Todger's Avatar
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
The Artful Todger is offline
Suffolk UK
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 8,579
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-11-2020, 07:17 PM
20

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
An interesting take and so well argued! Well done.
I like to cut to the bottom line.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.