Join for free
Reply
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Zaphod's Avatar
Zaphod
Senior Member
Zaphod is online now
Lincs UK
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,094
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-11-2020, 07:34 PM
21

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Jings! hope you feel better after that. No offence taken, we've covered all that before, I seem to remember, so won't launch into another round of the same old... I haven't changed my mind and , obviously, neither have you. Fair enough.
I would say though, if the above is what folks in England think, then it shows just how politically apart Scotland and England have become and adds weight to the separation argument. I'm sure any separation could be amicable if there is a will, it is a small island after all.
All the best.
No.

It isn't that there is a huge political divide - there isn't as the 2019 GE shows - but that the constant media attention given to Sturgeon combined with a media/ social media pro-SNP/ anti-England assault are swaying opinion.
It is a deliberate tactic, of that I am certain.
For instance why were Sturgeon's daily briefings regularly shown on English TV in the first place?
Even Willie Rennie recently had to tell Sturgeon to stop the "anti-English rhetoric" which her appearances often have, at some times more blatantly than others.

Small wonder that so many English see Sturgeon as an evil for encouraging a disagreeable split - and equally small wonder that these would welcome that since there is a weight of evidence to suggest considerable financial benefit in the process.
But as earlier, that is what some devious pro-SNP Scots are angling for.

As you say though, not that this is likely to change your mind any more than you are likely to change mine or anybody else's.

FYI as a Scot I would be in favour of an independent Scotland if it were at all practicable ........... but nothing I have ever seen suggests that to be possible.
Just as no amicable split could ever be possible with the duplicitous SNP at the helm.
Reply With Quote
weedeek
Senior Member
weedeek is offline
Dumfries, Scotland
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 350
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-11-2020, 09:09 PM
22

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
No.

It isn't that there is a huge political divide - there isn't as the 2019 GE shows - but that the constant media attention given to Sturgeon combined with a media/ social media pro-SNP/ anti-England assault are swaying opinion.
It is a deliberate tactic, of that I am certain.
For instance why were Sturgeon's daily briefings regularly shown on English TV in the first place?
Even Willie Rennie recently had to tell Sturgeon to stop the "anti-English rhetoric" which her appearances often have, at some times more blatantly than others.

Small wonder that so many English see Sturgeon as an evil for encouraging a disagreeable split - and equally small wonder that these would welcome that since there is a weight of evidence to suggest considerable financial benefit in the process.
But as earlier, that is what some devious pro-SNP Scots are angling for.

As you say though, not that this is likely to change your mind any more than you are likely to change mine or anybody else's.

FYI as a Scot I would be in favour of an independent Scotland if it were at all practicable ........... but nothing I have ever seen suggests that to be possible.
Just as no amicable split could ever be possible with the duplicitous SNP at the helm.
Iíll agree with the not changing our minds bit; Iíll also agree to disagree about the rest of that...
Reply With Quote
Ray Cathode's Avatar
Ray Cathode
Senior Member
Ray Cathode is offline
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,642
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-11-2020, 09:10 PM
23

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

Shropshiregirl


An elderly person living in a care home in England? £1,000 per week, many having to sell their home to pay for it, a Scottish person? Nothing!

This is not the case. Care homes are not free in Scotland though help with personal care may be free if you live in your own home. The situation with care home is much the same as in England. Help with paying may be available if your assets, including your home are less than £28,000 and you may be required to sell the family pile to pay for the care home.
Reply With Quote
Zaphod's Avatar
Zaphod
Senior Member
Zaphod is online now
Lincs UK
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,094
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-11-2020, 11:07 AM
24

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
This is not the case. Care homes are not free in Scotland though help with personal care may be free if you live in your own home. The situation with care home is much the same as in England. Help with paying may be available if your assets, including your home are less than £28,000 and you may be required to sell the family pile to pay for the care home.
That is not quite correct.
If the person needing residential care has a spouse or a relative over the age of 60 living in the property it must by law be disregards as an asset.
In such instances the person only needs to contribute if they have savings above £28.500 (tax year 2020/21).
"The law says that the local council must disregard the value of your home when your partner or a relative who is over 60 or incapacitated still lives there. The council also has discretion to disregard your home in some other circumstances, for example if someone has given up their own home to care for you."
https://www.careinfoscotland.scot/to...ing-your-home/

And to clarify; fees for those needing residential care are split into three constituent parts.
These are accommodation costs; personal care costs; and nursing costs where applicable.
"Providing your needs have been assessed and agreed by your local Social Works Department, they will make flat rate contributions towards any Personal and if necessary Nursing Care you require regardless of financial means."*
As I'm sure readers will appreciate, this only leaves accommodation costs which I covered earlier.

If then for example a married person needs residential care in Scotland and they own their own home, it will indeed be free (providing the home chosen has fees which the allowance pays in full).
Reply With Quote
realspeed
Chatterbox
realspeed is offline
South coast
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 11,808
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-11-2020, 11:32 AM
25

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

First of all I have nothing against the Scottish people

Now lets consider if Scotland went independent

No Scottish say in the English parliament so their voices won't be heard

All help from the rest of the UK will be withdrawn. That is financial- education- National health- all benefits - withdraw of naval bases- I could go on and on.

This would result in the Scottish people having to pay at least double in income tax to make up the difference

Then there is the question of border control. Can The scottish people afford to erect and maintain border posts on their side?

Any supplies to Scotland would have to arrive by longer sea journeys that would push up costs.

How would Scotland Export goods ? same thing applies

So let Scotland go independent and see how long that lasts!
Reply With Quote
weedeek
Senior Member
weedeek is offline
Dumfries, Scotland
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 350
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-11-2020, 12:58 PM
26

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
First of all I have nothing against the Scottish people

Now lets consider if Scotland went independent

No Scottish say in the English parliament so their voices won't be heard

All help from the rest of the UK will be withdrawn. That is financial- education- National health- all benefits - withdraw of naval bases- I could go on and on.

This would result in the Scottish people having to pay at least double in income tax to make up the difference

Then there is the question of border control. Can The scottish people afford to erect and maintain border posts on their side?

Any supplies to Scotland would have to arrive by longer sea journeys that would push up costs.
How would Scotland Export goods ? same thing applies

So let Scotland go independent and see how long that lasts!
As far as I'm aware there is no English parliament, I presume you mean the UK government in Westminster. If Scotland was independent, why would we want a say in another states' parliament?
Scotland has its own education system, runs the Scottish NHS etc. We would also run our own finances and tax system, we are capable of such things. Evidence of your assertion of doubling if Income Tax rates would be interesting if you have it to hand.
There is no reason why there could not be an "open border" but if the rUK would want a "hard border", they would have to pay for it. I would refer you to the difficulties regarding the current discussions in Ireland.
Longer sea journeys is an amusing point, as far as I'm aware, Scottish ports will remain the same distance from Europe etc as they have always been.
Reply With Quote
Bread's Avatar
Bread
Chatterbox
Bread is offline
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 8,342
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-11-2020, 01:05 PM
27

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

We don't need hard borders. Its 2020 not 1972
Reply With Quote
Zaphod's Avatar
Zaphod
Senior Member
Zaphod is online now
Lincs UK
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,094
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-11-2020, 01:26 PM
28

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Iíll agree with the not changing our minds bit; Iíll also agree to disagree about the rest of that...
You can disagree with facts if you want to but all you do then is display your tendency towards the irrational.
But that's fine because that, after all, sums up most of the SNP's stance.
Irrational.


The SNP vote share I mention earlier is a fact, as is the coverage of Sturgeon on English TV.
Or are you denying Rennie's request of Sturgeon?
There's nothing else in my post to disagree with.


Regarding your post just above, I am genuinely interested in knowing what currency you think will be used to pay these teachers and NHS, and to pay the taxes in a newly-independent Scotland?
Because Sturgeon - for all her bluster about independence - cannot say.
Which is very telling if she is so sure of independence as she tries to suggest.
Reply With Quote
The Artful Todger's Avatar
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
The Artful Todger is online now
Suffolk UK
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 8,540
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-11-2020, 01:34 PM
29

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
As far as I'm aware there is no English parliament, I presume you mean the UK government in Westminster. If Scotland was independent, why would we want a say in another states' parliament?
Scotland has its own education system, runs the Scottish NHS etc. We would also run our own finances and tax system, we are capable of such things. Evidence of your assertion of doubling if Income Tax rates would be interesting if you have it to hand.
There is no reason why there could not be an "open border" but if the rUK would want a "hard border", they would have to pay for it. I would refer you to the difficulties regarding the current discussions in Ireland.
Longer sea journeys is an amusing point, as far as I'm aware, Scottish ports will remain the same distance from Europe etc as they have always been.
Income tax requires income. Think that one through. Hard border? I would want a rock hard border armed and mined. Hopefully the border with the foreign country next to the British province will soon be resolved by being likewise very hard indeed. As for Scottish ports, unless Scotland can export more than it needs to import then they won't be much use.

Then there is the increasing amount of Judenhaas in Scotland ---


I'm all in favour of an independent Scotland. FULLY independent in EVERY way.
Reply With Quote
weedeek
Senior Member
weedeek is offline
Dumfries, Scotland
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 350
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-11-2020, 03:09 PM
30

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Income tax requires income. Think that one through. Hard border? I would want a rock hard border armed and mined. Hopefully the border with the foreign country next to the British province will soon be resolved by being likewise very hard indeed. As for Scottish ports, unless Scotland can export more than it needs to import then they won't be much use.

Then there is the increasing amount of Judenhaas in Scotland ---


I'm all in favour of an independent Scotland. FULLY independent in EVERY way.
Aye, very good.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.