Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 05:04 AM

Re: Where the plastic goes

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
From what lve seen Mups most frozen products are
allready made from cardboard and paper, yoghurts and
things like that can be contained in glass or even waxed
cardboard?

Regards Donkeyman!
Do supermarkets still have little heaps of cardboard boxes for customers to use?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Do supermarkets still have little heaps of cardboard boxes for customers to use?
Blimey ST you get up early!!
In answer to your question though, l believe you can still
get large cardboard boxes but you have to ask for them!

Regards Donkeyman!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

There's not usually any round here any more Tabs.
I might be wrong, but I think someone told me they get paid for recycling them, so maybe that's why they don't put them out by the check outs any more?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 05:36 PM

Regarding plastic bottles, those containing mineral water sound dodgy to me, if something I read is anything to go by:

: Most of us think of bottled water as a healthy option, and it's big business, generating around 147 billion dollars in sales around the world each year. But every mouthful contains microscopic plastic particles - twice the amount found in tap water, a new study has found.
11 brands were tested and all found to contain these particles.

Research carried out by the European Unuin estimates that up to 90% of plastic in seafood passes harmlessly through our gut. The final 10% is largely made up of microscopic particles that measure 150 microns or less. According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, these could sneak into our Lymphatic system, or pass from the bloodstream into the kidneys and liver.

The worst offender is Nestle's Pure Life water which has 10,390 particles per litre of water, said the researchers.

Unquote.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 05:54 PM

90% of pine forests are grown worldwide on a plantation
basis OGF, Which means as soon as they are cut, they are
replanted, so the number of trees growing allways stays the
the same, or even increases depending on demand!
So l dont see that as a problem?
On the glass issue l agree with you but it could be made
less of an issue by reusing the glass containers as glass
is very easy to wash and sterilize!

Regards Donkeyman!
DM, as you may know my background is electrical engineering for industrial applications mostly in process applications. Like paper making.

Quite a few mills we dealt with used recycled product so no trees involved. There was one in the Far East that used sugar can waste - bagasse. The only one I recall that used timber was Kemsley in Kent.

And I agree with you about the pines being replanted. Fast growing and thus a sustainable resource.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
DM, as you may know my background is electrical engineering for industrial applications mostly in process applications. Like paper making.

Quite a few mills we dealt with used recycled product so no trees involved. There was one in the Far East that used sugar can waste - bagasse. The only one I recall that used timber was Kemsley in Kent.

And I agree with you about the pines being replanted. Fast growing and thus a sustainable resource.
Yes Besoeker, l believe a large proportion of paper is now
produced from recycled paper and cardboard! Indeed in
SA recycling paper and cardboard has become a means of
Income for thousands of people who work for themselves
doing this! I believe the recycling in SA is more efficient and
widespread there than in uk?

Regards Donkeyman!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 09:33 PM

Yes Besoeker, l believe a large proportion of paper is now
produced from recycled paper and cardboard! Indeed in
SA recycling paper and cardboard has become a means of
Income for thousands of people who work for themselves
doing this! I believe the recycling in SA is more efficient and
widespread there than in uk?

Regards Donkeyman!
I don't know. I commissioned the first paper machine at Mondi Valley in Durban. About 50 years ago. Still wet behind the ears. And I wasn't much involved in the stock prep end.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Regarding plastic bottles, those containing mineral water sound dodgy to me, if something I read is anything to go by:

: Most of us think of bottled water as a healthy option, and it's big business, generating around 147 billion dollars in sales around the world each year. But every mouthful contains microscopic plastic particles - twice the amount found in tap water, a new study has found.
11 brands were tested and all found to contain these particles.

Research carried out by the European Unuin estimates that up to 90% of plastic in seafood passes harmlessly through our gut. The final 10% is largely made up of microscopic particles that measure 150 microns or less. According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, these could sneak into our Lymphatic system, or pass from the bloodstream into the kidneys and liver.

The worst offender is Nestle's Pure Life water which has 10,390 particles per litre of water, said the researchers.

Unquote.
I won't buy/use anything that comes in plastic bottles, Mups, especially not sauces/ketchups etc.,. Has to be glass.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

08-09-2019, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I don't know. I commissioned the first paper machine at Mondi Valley in Durban. About 50 years ago. Still wet behind the ears. And I wasn't much involved in the stock prep end.
Thats interesting Beseoker, thats the valley owned by Mondi
Paper l suppose!
Did you ever get to do any work for Nampak Paper in
CapeTown? l did a bit of work for them!

Regards Donkeyman!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

08-09-2019, 10:27 PM

Thats interesting Beseoker, thats the valley owned by Mondi
Paper l suppose!
Did you ever get to do any work for Nampak Paper in
CapeTown? l did a bit of work for them!

Regards Donkeyman!
Not a name I recognise. I did some work in Cape Town. Variable speed drives on aircon if I remember correctly.
I spent a lot of time in that country. Some before Apartheid. Some after.

Part of my journey in life.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top