Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 12:02 PM

driving confidence lost

I have had a licence since i was 17 years old and never worried about being behind the wheel. That was until I was told to stop by the eye surgeon and had to surrender my licence until I got it back 18 months later. That really did affect my confidence behind the wheel. After 2/3 years since still not over happy driving but have to keep my hand in just incase.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 12:14 PM

Re: driving confidence lost

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I have had a licence since i was 17 years old and never worried about being behind the wheel. That was until I was told to stop by the eye surgeon and had to surrender my licence until I got it back 18 months later. That really did affect my confidence behind the wheel. After 2/3 years since still not over happy driving but have to keep my hand in just incase.
I've been in that place too due to both eyes heavily affected by cataracts. Earlier this year I had the first defect rectified by phaco + new lens implant then 6wks later the 2nd eye subjected to the same. The difference was amazing and although I still need spectacles due to both eyes being heavily astigmatic, I can now drive legally once again. My confidence returned slowly over about a fortnight of careful practice with another driver for company and now it has become second nature again. If you are able to increase your confidence with another driver by yours side, then I am sure it will be beneficial for your future driving abilities :thumbup:
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 12:15 PM

I forgot to add it's a bummer that you are too far east of me or I would gladly sit in with you as you gain your full confidence again.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I forgot to add it's a bummer that you are too far east of me or I would gladly sit in with you as you gain your full confidence again.
Thank you for the offer, however Sue "er indoors" or "She who must be obeyed" drives as well so it helps
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 12:34 PM

Realspeed, you could always book a couple of lessons with a driving instructor, just to boost your confidence
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 01:01 PM

I have an Auntie who had an accident in her car and she lost her confidence and didn't drive for a long time. However, now, she is back driving again but it took some guts. She's still not overly confident but she beat her fear.

I hope you can overcome your confidence issue here Real.

I don't like driving, I only like the independence it gives me. I don't do motorways, I'm not confident enough and wouldn't want to put others in danger because of my anxiety. The motorway is a safer place without me .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 01:47 PM

Hi

I am stopped from driving again, only a few days. but devastating.

I just accept it.

Fortunately for me I have another Advanced High Speed Driving Test next month, the last one before I retire fully.

I am relaxed about my driving ability, but if you are ill you are ill.

I have no wish at all to be a danger to others.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

13-11-2019, 09:15 PM

thanks all for the replies and helpful advice. I actually blame the eye surgeon for insisting I stopped driving completely and going to inform the DVLA which he never did. If he had said give it a couple of months before getting behind the wheel I could have accepted that, but to ban completely was in my opinion completely out of order as having to surrender my licence. My next hospital eye test is in december for peripheral vision and 2 days later (same hospital) for eye examination.

This time they can't stop me as I only passed the DVLA eye test less than 2 months ago at SpecSavers

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top