Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 09:27 PM

Gas Combi Boiler

What a blissful summer! My gas bills are incredibly low. Now we're beginning to see a few evenings with lower temperatures. Tonight the temperature inside my home is 20 C and as I walked through the door I heard my gas boiler fire up..............which is the second or third time I've heard that. WHY? I'm not running a bath or kitchen sink - so I can't see a reason for the boiler to fire up............
Any ideas please?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 09:32 PM

Re: Gas Combi Boiler

Heat exchanger kicking in?
I'm no expert but I thought they kicked in periodically anyway whether running domestic hot water or heating or not.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 09:32 PM

have you checked your control panel and thermostats?
Unfortunately we can't have a combi boiler because the plumbing is in micro bore. We were told the pressure from a combi could open up the joints just imagine the problems getting to them behind the walls and floors
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 09:52 PM

I've a combi boiler. During the summer, with obviously no heating on, I noted the boiler made noises as if it was about to come on.
I wasn't running any water at that time, so couldn't work out why it did that.
I just assumed it was doing what it should do, whatever that was. It did puzzle me though.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 10:10 PM

If the heating kicks in its down to your setting on the thermostat for the heating...

But with some of the older combis they would fire up to heat your domestic water in the combi when not using to give you almost instant hot water which can be turned off.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 11:39 PM

Some more details regarding the make/model of your boiler as well as what sort of controls you have are needed. For example, it's entirely possible that if you have an external controller then it recognises the current date and has begun its own annual cycle routine.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 08:05 AM

Thanks for your replies - I've just taken a meter reading and compared that to readings I've taken over previous years and there seems to be no difference, so I'm going to assume it's just doing what it should be doing and talk to my gas man when it turns up to service it next month.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 10:00 AM

Good morning Lindy....
Today's digital temperature controls are extremely sensitive, and I suspect your temperature will be set at 21*C...
Therefore if your room temperature is 20*C (It could be 20.9*C) your temperature controller will be doing a balancing act between on or off.
Mine does exactly the same and is a perfectly normal operation....
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
have you checked your control panel and thermostats?
Unfortunately we can't have a combi boiler because the plumbing is in micro bore. We were told the pressure from a combi could open up the joints just imagine the problems getting to them behind the walls and floors
Very odd......

Combi's are used all the time with microbore. The heating will only have a flow of circa 1.5 bar.

Was it an apprentice heating engineer that said that?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Very odd......

Combi's are used all the time with microbore. The heating will only have a flow of circa 1.5 bar.

Was it an apprentice heating engineer that said that?
Spot on.

You can have a Combi with Micro Bore no problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top