Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2018, 11:04 PM

Re: Moving abroad - What will happen after Brexit

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Easy, they get a non Drivers Licence/Photo ID from the same place that issues all licences.

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/trans...nsw-photo-card
Fair enough.

If you antipodean colonies can do it, I'm sure we could... with half-decent leadership.

I don't suppose you could persuade your government to do one of those 'exchange visits' with ours?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Fair enough.

If you antipodean colonies can do it, I'm sure we could... with half-decent leadership.

I don't suppose you could persuade your government to do one of those 'exchange visits' with ours?
It would be difficult to convince me that our government is that much better, after all we have had six PMs in the last 5 years but we have had some really good governments in the past for brief but magical decades say 1983 to about 2005.

I think the sad thing for Britain is that it has never had effective leadership - certainly not since the war - that is a long time to just be drifting.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 06:09 AM

Just for the record, and it pains me to waste my time on a troll, but you are not on 'ignore'; I just choose not to interact with you.

However, and I know this will be difficult for one who can only communicate in simple offensive phrases, I shall answer your question.

As mayor, he could have influenced the way the police service (not police force for obvious reasons) is run. For starters, they could stop taking the easy option of responding to 'harsh words' on places such as Twitter, and deal with real crime. He could, I'm sure, overrule the PC idiots who run the police service these days.

Now, my apologies for presenting you with more words than you are used to. I assure you that this will not happen again.
Oh you do disappoint me.
None of what you have suggested there would make any difference at all. I don't think it is even in the Mayor's remit to do so anyway.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 10:57 AM

It would be difficult to convince me that our government is that much better, after all we have had six PMs in the last 5 years but we have had some really good governments in the past for brief but magical decades say 1983 to about 2005.

I think the sad thing for Britain is that it has never had effective leadership - certainly not since the war - that is a long time to just be drifting.
I agree, although I always thought Maggie was an effective leader. Had she been handling Brexit, rather than this treacherous woman, I feel we'd have been dictating to them rather than the reverse.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 12:11 PM

Easy, they get a non Drivers Licence/Photo ID from the same place that issues all licences.

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/trans...nsw-photo-card
So basically you got the ID cards you didn't want but some people's ID cards permit them to drive.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
So basically you got the ID cards you didn't want but some people's ID cards permit them to drive.
Pretty much.

Except that Driving licences are issued by each state not by the Federal government (who issue passports) and, if you are a pensioner in NSW, are free.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

06-11-2018, 11:28 PM

Bearing in mind how easy and inexpensive it is to obtain a (British) passport, I'm surprised that there isn't an equally easy and inexpensive method of obtaining an ID card for those who don't, for whatever reason, want a passport.

As for the authorities, why don't they want to bring in the idea of a national identification document?

The system is already present in the Passport Office. It would be easy, and probably cheaper, for them to issue IDs following the necessary checks that they do for passports.

It could achieve any number of things: claiming benefits, accessing healthcare, etc., and would solve the problem of illegals obtaining things to which they are not entitled.

There will always be a minority who, perhaps on principle (or because they have something to hide!), would refuse to apply for ID. I think they'd soon change their minds, though!
Bayardicus
Australia
Bayardicus is male  Bayardicus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 11:33 AM

Oh...It`s coming. Compulsory ID cards. Probably by around 2020, a referendum on it will suddenly be sprung on everybody. By that time, it would be more acceptable on principle. The premise being...''Be identified. Show that you are proud to be British...''....!!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-11-2018, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bayardicus ->
Oh...It`s coming. Compulsory ID cards. Probably by around 2020, a referendum on it will suddenly be sprung on everybody. By that time, it would be more acceptable on principle. The premise being...''Be identified. Show that you are proud to be British...''....!!
I hope so. I shall certainly vote for them. It's for our own protection.

I'd say that the only people who are not in favour are criminals and illegals...
oh, and snowflakes!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

09-11-2018, 02:10 AM

I hope so. I shall certainly vote for them. It's for our own protection.

I'd say that the only people who are not in favour are criminals and illegals...
oh, and snowflakes!
I should say that while driving licences have become our de-facto ID there is no compulsion to carry them (except when driving) nor do you have to prove who you are (except when opening a bank account)

Having said that they are very convenient as a form of Photo ID, in fact the most common use of them as ID is to gain entry to a registered club if you are not a member.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top