Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 05:28 PM

Re: car sat nav update

I have built in nav in my car,, although I rarely use it, I find its much better than having to remove and refit a portable device, as I do in my van, mines supposed to have free updates for three years, however, a lot of these map updates can be two or three years out of date, even from the dealers, lots of folk now use their smartphones as Satnavs,as a lot of apps are really good and accurate waze seems to get good reviews,.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
good point Bruce, the incar sat nav I have is also linked into the car system as well, ie phone -cameras (5) and other car info .
below is just some of the functions which tom tom don't have
I am not sure there were any features in that video that my TomTom doesn't have. It has all the traffic warnings, speed cameras etc - it can connect to the internet via my phones bluetooth or via wifi.

POIs are a thing of the past they are all included in the directions search (though you can go back to the older system where POIs are separate if you don't like them in a normal destination search).

It has speech recognition so you can tell it what to do like Google's "OK Google" - I have that turned off to be honest so I can't remember what you have to say.

It tells you all instructions including warnings for POIs which it displays on a distance chart at the side of the screen (You can turn that on or off). It also warns me about school zones and if I exceed the speed limit.

I like being able to put in a latitude and longitude from Google maps because in Australia road names are sometime absent or the same road has several names and I have sometimes used the recorded route because it remembers where you have been.

I can't tell you much about in car systems except to repeat what my kids say - they are too slow to update - for example if you miss a turning it expects you to take.

TomToms have come a long way since my first, I am now on my third - Oh yes it has also been telling that there are 3 updates pending so I must go and get it from the car - one will be the 3 monthly whole map update which I know is due - the rest are speed cameras and corrections (I'm guessing) - also satellite data info has to be fine tuned pretty regularly otherwise you find it can't tell if you are on, say the highway or a slip road so it has to 'assume' for longer - or so I am told.

I am not sure about someone's comment about the inconvenience of removing it from the vehicle why would you want to remove it? Let's face it no one is going to steal it they have little value the one I have only cost about $230 new.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 09:06 AM

I couldn't remember the model I had but I just found its box Tom Tom GO 520 with wifi. It came with a heap of accessories, such as 2 outlet USB plug (as well as the normal one for running it), a stick on piece for mounting it your dash, and a case.

They are desperate to sell too much competition from mobile phones - plenty of good offers. A review at random ie first I came across.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 01:05 PM

My sat nav screen doubles for car information such as using the 5 cameras the car has- self parking -white line warning- slowing down and accelerating full economy - MPG (current and previous)- radio- road works ahead etc and other car information that a hand held won't be able to do.
hand held sat navs are a thing of the past now, most new cars have them built
I tell you Bruce these new Nissan xtrail tekna top of the range information screens will blow you mind ,even down to saying which tyre has low air pressure- radar faults on the car- ccollision braking- vehicle/pedestrians being too close and that is just a start. updating info is just replacing Micro SD card.

We do have a tomtom start25 I updated last night

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top