Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 11:47 PM

Re: High inflamatory markers.

I hope things improve for you Carol. Hope they can diagnose the problem quickly.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 09:18 AM

Hope you get well soon Carol.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 12:19 PM

At last - a diagnosis!!

I told the doctor how all my muscles ache - from my shoulders to my calf muscles & she believes I have a condition called Polymyalgia Rheumatica,
The only treatment is steroid tablets. She said if I start taking them now I will feel better by Friday. The problem is it's a long term thing & I will have to take them permanently.

I think we all know the side effects of steroids - not least huge weight gain!

I don't want to take steroids and am considering reverting to heavy doses of painkillers..

Not a happy outcome.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 01:08 PM

Carol I understand you feelings about steroids, but in some cases they are the only form of relief.
I would be tempted to do a little research into
1)why people get this condition
2) Whether it is likely to get worse
3 is there anything you can eat or do that may lessen the pain.

Before the NHS seemed so short if time, doctors would have explained this to you... but not now!

Search on the internet fo "What is Polymyalgia Rheumatica," you can learn quite a lot.

It says that exercise can make it worse & also suggests that CBD oil may relieve the symptoms.
It also says that the steroid dose will be very small.
You need to do a lot of work yourself, to find what helps, but I wish you good luck & hope you can get relief one way or another.

This is the NHS web site https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/polymyalgia-rheumatica/

but I looked at another one and that is where the info on exercise less & CBD oil came from. It is worth reading a few to get an overall opinion!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 01:32 PM

Hi Twink. The doctor was very good and had a long chat about it with me. She also gave me 10 pages of printed information.

I would need a higher dose of steroids at first and then the dose would be lowered.

I am weighing it up & I tend to lean more towards painkillers than steroids. The lesser of two evils.

I have agreed to take the steroids until Friday as my condition will be better if it is Polymyalgia Rheumatica. This will prove for certain if it is that or not.

If it is, I'll have to have another chat with the doctor.

Pain or obesity - what a choice eh?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Hi Twink. The doctor was very good and had a long chat about it with me. She also gave me 10 pages of printed information.

I would need a higher dose of steroids at first and then the dose would be lowered.

I am weighing it up & I tend to lean more towards painkillers than steroids. The lesser of two evils.

I have agreed to take the steroids until Friday as my condition will be better if it is Polymyalgia Rheumatica. This will prove for certain if it is that or not.

If it is, I'll have to have another chat with the doctor.

Pain or obesity - what a choice eh?
You are lucky that you have a doctor who will listen to your questions Carol, I went through 8 years of pain trying to convince them that my morning pain was caused by Vit D deficiency. Now they know and have given me the correct medicine, for just 3 months, I am feeling much better!
I hope they find a satisfactory treatment for you, as pain can make you depressed.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 08:59 PM

Not having had the complaint, or anyone in the family, I can't comment on the fors and against of steroids. I should imagine what could worry you, Carol, is the fact that exercise can make it worse! For somebody like you who does nothing BUT exercise, how can you decide what to do???

Let's see how you feel by Friday.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 11:24 PM

So sorry to hear this Carol.

I am sure you will make the right decision once you have had time to think about it all and work out how you feel. x
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I've been feeling generally unwell & not enjoying my food.

The doctor sent me for blood tests & the results revealed high inflammatory markers. This means there is inflamation somewhere in my body.

The doctor thinks it's inflammation to the lining of my stomach. I've got to go for more blood tests next week.

She said it was most likely caused by all the ibuprofen I've been taking for the trapped nerve in my neck.

So it seems painkillers have ruined my stomach lining.

Has this happened to anybody else?
Yes it most certainly happened to me.
Years ago I was in a traffic accident and injuried myself badly. My doctor put me on tramacet as well as anti inflammatories.
Anti inflammatory pills and pain pills strip the stomach lining.
I didn’t take them for long. To heal my stomach I drank ginger tea. It’s soothing.
Good luck.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 11:53 PM

Carol, you may have already seen this, but the Arthritis Research gives a lot of information, and I believe they have a helpline you can ring too.

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/...heumatica.aspx

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top