Join for free
Anji0007
Wales UK
Anji0007 is female  Anji0007 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 06:53 PM

The stranger

The Stranger!

A few years after I was born, my Dad met a stranger who was new to our small town. From the beginning, Dad was fascinated with this enchanting newcomer
and soon invited him to live with our family. The stranger was quickly accepted and was around from then on.

As I grew up, I never questioned his place in my family. In my young mind, he had a special niche.

My parents were complementary instructors: Mum taught me good from evil, and Dad taught me to obey.

But the stranger... he was our storyteller. He would keep us spellbound for hours on end with adventures, mysteries and comedies.

If I wanted to know anything about politics, history or science, he always knew the answers about the past, understood the present and even seemed able to predict
the future! He took my family to the first major league ball game. He made me laugh, and he made me cry. The stranger never stopped talking, but Dad didn't seemto mind.

Sometimes, Mom would get up quietly while the rest of us were shushing each other to listen to what he had to say, and she would go to the kitchen for peace and quiet.
(I wonder now if she ever prayed for the stranger to leave.)

Dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions, but the stranger never felt obligated to honor them.

Profanity, for example, was not allowed in our home - not from us, our friends or any visitors. Our long time visitor, however, got away with four-letter words that burned my ears and made my dad squirm and my mother blush.

My Dad didn't permit the liberal use of alcohol but the stranger encouraged us to try it on a regular basis. He made cigarettes look cool, cigars manly, and pipes distinguished.

He talked freely (much too freely!) about sex. His comments were sometimes blatant, sometimes suggestive, and generally embarrassing.

I now know that my early concepts about relationships were influenced strongly by the stranger. Time after time, he opposed the values of my parents, yet he was seldom rebuked... And NEVER asked to leave.

More than fifty years have passed since the stranger moved in with our family. He has blended right in and is not nearly as fascinating as he was at first.Still, if you could walk into my parents' den today, you would still find him sitting over
in his corner, waiting for someone to listen to him talk and watch him draw his pictures.

His name?....we just call him'TV.'

(Note: This should be required
reading for every household!)

He has a wife now....we call her'Computer.'

Their first child is"Cell Phone".His Girlfriend wasFace Book!!

Second child"I Pod"

And JUST BORN LAST YEAR WASa Grandchild:

IPAD

HOW TRUE THIS IS!!!
janet gracey
london
janet gracey is female  janet gracey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2012, 05:39 PM

Re: The stranger

Anji, I enjoyed that. Very funny and how true.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2012, 06:37 PM

Very true Anji I well remember the arrival of that particular stranger too...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2012, 06:43 PM

By coincidence we had just the same stranger come to live with us Anji, just in time for the coronation....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2012, 07:59 PM

Very good Anji, I remember the first day he arrived and how our eyes lit up with delight, makes you wonder what kind of strangers will invade the home in the distant future.
LovelyMeerkat
Lancashire
LovelyMeerkat is female  LovelyMeerkat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2012, 09:37 PM

I wondered where this was going, fascinating insight
Aquarian
cheshire, UK
Aquarian is female 

27-10-2012, 12:31 PM

Brilliant, how true.
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2012, 04:48 PM

I'm too young to remember our first telly but recall vividly the day we got our first colour set.
The bloke from Curry's delivered it 15 minutes before the 1971 FA Cup final and after years of watching Match of the Day in black & white it was just like being at Wembley for a 9 year old boy.
steven
New Member!
US
steven is male 

14-11-2013, 08:38 PM

very true

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top