Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 08:55 PM

Re: What's wrong with Formula one?

To make it more exciting they could award points for qualifying, 25 for fastest and so on, then reverse the grid so that the fastest drivers start from the back and have to fight their way through the pack to get the race points as they do now, 25 for first and so on.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
The early 60s was the golden era, I was truly hooked at the age of ten. Surtees, Clark, Hill and Brabham they were on my bedroom wall.
Wot....no Sterling Moss d00d?

I started to take an interest in F1 at the time of Mansell, Stewart, Damon Hill and James Hunt.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
It very much is. The technical regulations apply to all teams so the cars are pretty much to a standard. They all have to have a 1.6 litre V6 engine, they have the same tyre choices by the one manufacturer, the same maximum amount of fuel that has to last the entire race, the same energy recovery system

There is one significant variable - the driver.
So how does that explain, probably the best driver on the track, Fernando Alonso, finishing way down the field for the last few years?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 09:06 PM

BTCC far better. Formula 1 is mostly a procession.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-09-2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
To make it more exciting they could award points for qualifying, 25 for fastest and so on, then reverse the grid so that the fastest drivers start from the back and have to fight their way through the pack to get the race points as they do now, 25 for first and so on.
Sounds like a good idea that Ray, a sort of handicap system...
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
So how does that explain, probably the best driver on the track, Fernando Alonso, finishing way down the field for the last few years?
Not as good as he was? Better younger drivers? Different aerodynamics...........
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
That might liven it up a bit ... I imagine most drivers do more speeding and overtaking on the motorway fast lane now than they do on a race track.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 09:41 PM

Him as well

I started to take an interest in F1 at the time of Mansell, Stewart, Damon Hill and James Hunt.
Yes I was still partially interested in those day when every car was a cigarette packet.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 10:33 PM

Me too ... but more for me ... Prost, Senna, Piquet. Now they were racers.
I always remember that godawful smash ... Niki Lauda wasn't it. And of course, later, Senna.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Me too ... but more for me ... Prost, Senna, Piquet. Now they were racers.
I always remember that godawful smash ... Niki Lauda wasn't it. And of course, later, Senna.
One of the major advances in F1 is safety.
Driver fitness is another. It has had to given the g-forces they have to withstand. They would make many people pass out.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top