Join for free
Page 15 of 22 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 11:00 AM

Re: Vitamin D Defficiency and Mobility Issues in Old People

I agree sugar is pumped into too many things these days, and they seem to be calling it all sorts of different names to try and hide it from us too.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I agree sugar is pumped into too many things these days, and they seem to be calling it all sorts of different names to try and hide it from us too.
It's called sugar, nothing else and it is clearly written on the nutirion label of every product (by law).

Always look at the nutrition label as well as the ingredients list.

The nutrition label states "Carbohydrates. . . . Of which sugars"

That's the sugar content per 100g of product.

It's easy to do. 4g sugar is equiv to 1 teaspoonful so that's the benchmark amount to remember.

There's no real disguise going on, it's just that the world is full of Sheeple who don't bother to read the nutirion labels and largely don't care what they put in their mouths. Their loss.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 11:35 AM

There are 56 different names for sugar on labels they use fruit concentrates to hide some of them and make you think it's natural must be good.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 11:44 AM

I took Apple Juice when I was bothered with Gallstones, I did buy it at Tesco but I never bought the concentrated carton, it was always the fresh fruit one.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 11:56 AM

There are 56 different names for sugar on labels they use fruit concentrates to hide some of them and make you think it's natural must be good.
I re-iterate Julie.

The NUTRITION label is where the sugar content is listed.

It has only 1 name - SUGAR

It is listed under the Carbohydrate section

Here is the nutrition label of the Meritene shakes that have been highlighted in this thread:

Clear as day. You don't need to look at any ingredients list to try and see what sugars there are present. You just need to look at the Nutrition label.

Here it clearly shows the Sugar content is 51g per 100g of product which imho is horrendous. You can also see that the Fibre content is zero.

That the sugar content is naturally occurring is of no consequence. Sugar is sugar and 51g of it per 100g is essentially 50% sugar. That will make this Meritene product highly addictive and imho won't do anyone any good in terms of their health. That's just my view. I will of course defend to the hilt the right of any person to wilfully eat unhealthy foods.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

17-12-2018, 11:59 AM

I guess I rarely read that bit. I'm more focused on the ingredients looking for anything could kill me. My anger these days is spices, that's all they say spices, which one's though as I can eat some but not others and ask the manufacturer, oh that's too secret to tell you. Too secret to allow me and others to live ?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

17-12-2018, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I took Apple Juice when I was bothered with Gallstones, I did buy it at Tesco but I never bought the concentrated carton, it was always the fresh fruit one.
Yes Roxy. Organic apple juice is recommended for that specific ailment and then only if you can't simply eat lots of fresh apples. As a one off exercise just prior to performing a gallbladder flush, I too drank organic apple juice for a few days.

Other than that I don't generally touch any fruit juices because for the most part they are nothing but water and sugar with none of the fibre of the original product. I consider them highly unhealthy products even the ones that some "health advocates" (cough) recommend like say Cranberry juice.

Go out and try and find a carton of cranberry juice that isn't piled high with sugars and you'll have a tough time of it.
Same with pomegranate juice and most grape juices.

These are all simply ways for manufacturers to sell us more and more sugar.

My personal preference is to eat what comes out of the ground, in the form that nature provides it. Thereby you get plenty of fibre to slow down the sugar absorption and you get all the vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytochemicals and other goodies which the body loves and needs.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

17-12-2018, 12:20 PM

I guess I rarely read that bit. I'm more focused on the ingredients looking for anything could kill me. My anger these days is spices, that's all they say spices, which one's though as I can eat some but not others and ask the manufacturer, oh that's too secret to tell you. Too secret to allow me and others to live ?
The food industry is wholly corrupt Julie from the very top down. We have weak labelling laws even though those in the UK are tighter than some other countries. The conglomerates want to use cheap nasty ingredients to maximise their profits and so lobby government and food authorities to make labelling laws confusing, ambiguous and effectively useless for the consumer to really know what they are getting.

There are all manner of (imo) fraudulent sleight of hands going on. Orange juice (OJ) for example. All orange juice cartons are labelled with oranges being the only ingredients (either concentrate or no). Many say "freshly squeezed" and other pithy straplines. The fact is that most OJ is held in large steel vats for up to a year in which time it loses most of its flavour and its orange colour. In order to turn that crap back into a saleable product they create what they call "flavour packs" which they mix into this year old liquid. That restores the colour and flavour.

Most people are unaware of this practice. They innocently believe they are drinking juice from oranges that has just recently been squeezed. They should do their research.

Oranges are a seasonal fruit. Therefore how is it we get orange juice all year round? It is because of the above. Because the juice is stored for up to a year in large vats.

The added "flavour packs" create the artificial flavour we associate with orange juice. If you go to a different country you will find that OJ tastes different. It seems that way to us, but to the locals that is how OJ tastes, it is normal to them. Why? Well it's not because they have different oranges. No. We are all using the same oranges. The difference in tastes is due to the different flavour packs that everyone dumps in their year old sludge. They all have their own packs, their own preferences for what's in those packs.

Some reading this will rightly ask:

"Well why isn't the flavour pack listed in the ingredients? My OJ simply says 100% Orange Juice so it's ok right?"

Wrong.

The flavour packs are made from oranges themselves. They take the peel, pith and pips which contain essential oils and pectin and other substances and they make the flavour packs from those things. Hence, literally speaking, your OJ actually IS made from 100% oranges, but it is a clear sleight of hand and outright deception to list it as such on the label.

What the label completely omits is the processing methods of the product and it uses misdirection and deception to make people think OJ is just a fresh and healthy drink.

The entire food industry is replete with these problems. Consumers simply can not get the real information they need to make informed choices from the product labels.

So it is up to consumers to be extra diligent and to be bothered enough to do their own research into foods and beverages. Same as it is for health and medicines.

For those like yourself who have allergies to certain food stuffs this is a minefield. Sadly one that won't change any time soon.

The industry is wholly corrupt as most are and it forces us to have to waste many many hours in diligent research to get to the truth.

All this said, the Nutrition label is the best place to begin imho. If the sugar content is stupidly high, I just don't buy that product. Then I progress to the ingredients label and see if there are nasties in there, chemicals, E numbers etc which are undesirable. If so, I leave the product on the shelf.

As it is all such a huge minefield I find the best way forward is just to eat fresh fruit, vegetables and well sourced meat and fish just as Nature provides them, with no processing and still packed with their goodness.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

17-12-2018, 02:04 PM

Your abusive post is appalling Bratti and I hope Admin/Mods take the appropriate actions. Please put me on ignore in the future and refrain from such derogatory outbursts.

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
They ask you to please not assault them with your unwanted verbal abuse and you disregard all their wishes because your OWN self importance comes first.
I exercise my right to post my opinions the same as everyone else. Neither you nor anyone else has the right to censor my posts and opinions not those of any other poster.

This is an open forum. If you can't deal with people's varying opinions then it is perhaps not the place for you to be.

I also find certain people's posts hugely frustrating such as some of those in the politics section which are pretty relentless political propaganda. The forum permits it so we simply have to deal with it. Either by ignoring the poster(s) and/or their posts or putting up with it.

If you need help finding the "Ignore" function just ask Admin/Mods and they will point you in the right direction.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

17-12-2018, 02:09 PM

I really want to agree with you realist but you can be pretty abusive yourself at times. Some of the things you say about our intelligence or even my daughter the other day was out of order IMO

I do try to remain polite and bite my tongue but if you are rude you can't assume everyone will remain polite.

Page 15 of 22 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top